What truck/camper combo won't shake apart off road, i.e. Dalton Hwy?

84FLH

Leave bears alone they leave you alone.

A fatal assumption.

Nearly every bear attack you'll ever read about was unprovoked. No one who's experienced in bear country every looks for trouble with bears, or any other animal, including fox, mink, racoons (rabies).

The grizzly is the most unpredictable of the bruins. Their personal space is from 50 to 400 yards. If they're in a bad mood and see you in their space, they'll be coming your way.

Polar bears are universally understood to be extreme predators, hunting men with unmatched tenacity. So much in fact, that they'll swim across open water to reach whatever ice (pack or shore) men are on.

A good friend of mine who regularly hunted Montana and Idaho when he was young enough to do so said walking in thick cover was so nerve wracking that he carried low or high ready. Said it wasn't unlike walking point, except the point man in this case wasn't allowed to pass through the kill zone, but was always in the middle of the kill zone.

He always hunted with a partner on self guided hunts. A gunshot was a dinner call for the bears. One man stood guard ready to fire, the other man tended to the kill. Once they retreated when warning shots failed to retreat a bluff charging grizzly. Twice they succeeded in shooting bears away (ground hits in front of bears).

Everyone in bear country leaves the bears alone. The bears, however, don't play by the same rules as humans. The most horrifying of attacks, perhaps, occurred summer 1967 in Montana's Glacier National Park.

Excerpt:

In the early hours of August 13, 1967, a bear dragged 19-year-old Julie Helgeson from a campground below the chalet after gnawing the arm and legs of her male companion. By the time rescuers found her torn body hours later, Helgeson, a bright, charming Minnesotan, had suffered massive blood loss; though her bitten friend survived, she died on a makeshift operating table at the chalet at 4:12 am. At nearly the same moment, a different grizzly attacked another 19-year-old woman, Michele Koons, in her sleeping bag at nearby Trout Lake. Although Koons’ friends managed to flee, the young Californian wasn’t able to disengage her zipper, and the grizzly carried her into the night.

With fellow ranger Leonard Landa, Gildart found Koons’ body about 40 yards away from the campsite. Then, Gildart and Landa set out to find and kill the sow. They were searching for a bear that had long troubled the area around Trout Lake and Lake McDonald. A week before, it had chased a group of girl scouts, only backing off after taking their food. Yet, park management did nothing. Rules were lax in the 1960s with a hands-off approach, even towards the most menacing individuals.

Landa and Gildart spent the rest of the day searching for the hunter to no avail. The next morning, though, they faced a rude surprise. The hunters were being hunted. Just 30 feet away from the ranger station, they saw a bear raised on its haunches, looking out over the lake. Landa headed for their rifles.

Incredibly, the bear started towards Gildart, a highly unnatural behavior for wild bears who usually scattered at the sight of humans. But this one was afraid of no man, including the rangers. Gildart and Leonard acted quickly, shooting the animal in its tracks. They called in a forensic expert to verify whether or not the sow had killed Koons. After slicing the bear’s stomach open, the expert retrieved a ball of blond hair. No doubt remained.

simple

Adventurer
This is what I have currently and I'm by no means touting it as the solution.

The setup you are looking for has been the eternal debate on this forum. I subscribe to the lighter and less you have the better it will do off road. The rabbit hole is bottomless. The roads that Desert Eagle is talking about are best traveled in a vehicle with single rear wheels which limits your carrying capacity unless you are stepping up to heavy duty rig with super singles. Chaching$

A buddy of mine runs an old 80's diesel 3/4 ton with a heavy old Alaskan pop up. Single cab 8' bed. Seems to do fine on rough roads and has enough overhead clearance. It isn't glamorous and doesn't have all the amenities. My style of getting out is on the more dirt baggy gritty side. I'm fine with a bucket of water and a $30 submersible pump for rinsing off in the summer. Pooping in luggable loo with trash bag and sawdust if there isn't a bathroom or pit toilet around or digging a hole if in the appropriate areas.

84FLH

These hunters followed all bear safety protocol. They were in a group. They were talking loudly. And yet the bear still charged. The charge starts at 0:34.

6 shots to terminate the bear. 1 shot appears to have missed. 7th shot makes sure.

84FLH

This is what I have currently and I'm by no means touting it as the solution.

The setup you are looking for has been the eternal debate on this forum. I subscribe to the lighter and less you have the better it will do off road. The rabbit hole is bottomless. The roads that Desert Eagle is talking about are best traveled in a vehicle with single rear wheels which limits your carrying capacity unless you are stepping up to heavy duty rig with super singles. Chaching$

A buddy of mine runs an old 80's diesel 3/4 ton with a heavy old Alaskan pop up. Single cab 8' bed. Seems to do fine on rough roads and has enough overhead clearance. It isn't glamorous and doesn't have all the amenities. My style of getting out is on the more dirt baggy gritty side. I'm fine with a bucket of water and a $30 submersible pump for rinsing off in the summer. Pooping in luggable loo with trash bag and sawdust if there isn't a bathroom or pit toilet around or digging a hole if in the appropriate areas.

Hey simple! This is a great education! Especially this part:

The setup you are looking for has been the eternal debate on this forum. I subscribe to the lighter and less you have the better it will do off road.

And this one (which I'm starting to experience)

The rabbit hole is bottomless.

I do wonder how well the Alaskan cabover campers fare on roads like the ones in Desert Eagle's pictures. I've done the dirt baggy thing up into my early 60's. Don't mind a 5 day backpack trip with Wet Ones or streams and a wash cloth. But by then I'm ready for hot shower, hot meal, and a recliner.

I recently saw an ad for 8' Alaskan cabover. The seller installed a square shower curtain railing on the ceiling and used a hose/shower head connected to the camper's sink to have a shower. He used a dish tray (like a busboy uses in a restaurant) to stand in.

I'll be living in the camper up to a year. So certain amenities are a must have for such a long time. The Alaskan camper guy's shower setup would be okay for a few days only.

What makes super singles work in place of dually's and what's the ball park cost?

Edit:
Just finished the Spacekap build article. Great ideas and great execution. Where do you store the water? How much warmer do you think the neoprene keeps the camper in winter, when the heater's going...than if you hadn't installed the neoprene?

Thank you.

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
"I've done the dirt baggy thing up into my early 60's. Don't mind a 5 day backpack trip with Wet Ones or streams and a wash cloth. But by then I'm ready for hot shower, hot meal, and a recliner."

I hear you there! Living in a vehicle changes needs considerably.

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
I don't have a good answer on super single cost at the moment. Prices have changed so much on things recently. Here is a link to an active build with super single conversion. You have probably seen it. Anyway this person could probably answer the question better than I.

84FLH

Last one for this thread. June. Yellowstone. Photographer stalked by two grizzlies. Pay attention as you watch this. It doesn't seem so, but the first grizzly is stalking the photographer.

Encounters (no harm to human) and attacks often happen unexpectedly and without warning. This photographer had enough warning and experience to keep an encounter from becoming an attack.

'Night, everybody.

"While standing there looking for the first grizzly, I saw a second grizzly coming up the trail towards me...."

84FLH

Guns in Canada are pretty rare amongst campers..... I cannot imagine the need and I'm always camping in bear country.

Thanks billiebob. Do you backpack camp or RV camp in bear country?

Firearms are like fire extinguishers. No one ever thinks they need a fire extinguisher in their car, vehicle, cabin, or boat until they actually do need one. Then it's too late.

The decision to carry a firearm for protection in the back country shouldn't be based on whether or not it's "needed". Bears are unpredictable. They can and do attack, maul, disfigure, and kill people. Bears don't to this in downtown Toronto or Vancouver. They do it in the bush of BC, Yukon, etc.

Thus, preparing beforehand for that ugly possibility is prudence no different than carrying two or three means to make fire, or more than one knife, or more than one can of bear spray.

Cheers.

rruff

Explorer
These hunters followed all bear safety protocol. ...And yet the bear still charged.
It looks like they saw the bear and kept moving towards it.

Bluff charges are much more common than "real" ones... and I've read that "head up" is a bluff (they'll turn at the last second). If they are committed to the attack their head will be down. This looks like a bluff, but they didn't wait to find out.

Lately there have been ~3 fatal bear attacks per year in North America. It's far down the list of ways you could die, even if you are in the wilds a lot. The problem with carrying a gun for protection is that you need to be preemptive or you will definitely be too late; shoot when you feel threatened, not when you are really threatened.

84FLH

A F250 need’s weight in it or you’ll beat everything up. A Tacoma can be empty and be fine given it has city slicker soft suspension for 400Lbs of stuff.

How do you determine how much weight is enough in, say, the F250? Do you go by percentage of GVWR?

That's funny about "400 lbs of stuff". Equates to two size XL guys.

greengreer

Adventurer
I think any "RV" is going to rattle itself apart on rough roads after a while. We have a Northstar pop-up, and while being one of the better built of the regular truck campers, it's still a wood frame with thin cabinetry and normal rv fixtures, etc. It will go anywhere that the truck will but you're going to want to slow it down. Even at that be prepared for your cabinet doors to open and things to bounce around.

Tire pressure is huge, also going up about 2 sizes helped with the ride alot both empty and loaded. A rubber stall mat under the camper takes some of the vibration out and certainly glues the camper to the bed of the truck. Also spring -loaded tie downs are a must, and make sure you are constantly checking them for correct tension.

Our truck definitely rides better with the camper. f-350 short wheel base stock rear suspension. Camper is about 2k loaded up and ready to go. Payload on the truck is 3600 iirc, we are probably under 1000lbs of the truck's gvwr. Slightly taller and firmer springs up front and no sway bars also help the ride, especially loaded.

We've gone as fast as is practical on springtime Montana back roads, but every once in a while you hit that massive pot hole and cringe. The real rough stuff you just slow way down and you'll be fine.
As for bears, you better have that gun or can of spray in your hand at all times to have it be most effective. I'd say millions of people live, work, and recreate in grizzly country every year and yet fatal attacks can be counted on one hand. It's safer to stay home. Well then again 100% of home accidents happen in the home...

Fishenough

Creeper
"What truck/camper combo won't shake apart off road, i.e. Dalton Hwy?"

A Subaru!
4Runner . 8 years back hopped in a friend's Subaru instead of my bucket truck to Fort Macpherson, fun fast trip but wow what a nonstop beating that undercarriage took.

Similar plans, retiring in a few years and what vehicle will we use for Canadian back road adventures. Neighbour is thinking of selling his 2010 Northern lights, it is mint, but the roads we explore would scratch and shake it bad. The Dempster and Canol, and maybe the Dalton as I haven't been on it yet, would be less damaging to it than west coast Canadian back roads we travel. More often we disucss buying a built overland vehicle, as new truck and solid camper cost is approaching the price of some used overland rigs. BUT, I having bought one heavily built off road truck, friends have 2, and you can acquire a endless world of small jobs on said rig when you think you are buying something ready to go.

Anyone with recommendations/reviews on wrapping a solid body camper? West coast roads have low hanging trees.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I have a sneaking suspicion that a 6'6", 275 lb guy entering Canada in a truck camper with a heavy caliber magnum rifle when it's not hunting season and who has no vacation or other residence in Canada, will either be turned away or held for questioning and background checks in the U.S.
Don't know. Is it possible to reach out to someone beforehand to verify?

As you mentioned going to Alaska, Is it not possible to get a permit to transport a weapon through Canada?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater