What truck/camper combo won't shake apart off road, i.e. Dalton Hwy?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I absolutely love waking up to the sunrise on a cold calm morning... the sun warming my body... the critters coming alive... no other humans for miles. Make some coffee and wander around, checking out the neighborhood.

Exactly. Watching the sun rise over the Nevada desert from my bed in the van...excuse the big feet!
P1070934er.jpg

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Also keep in mind that GM makes an all wheel drive full size van that can make a good camper if you don't get too crazy about where you take it. Lots of good info on that here on Expedition Portal in the 4wd/2wd camper van forums.

NVLOC

Observer
Lots of options around here for rentals. I would strongly suggest renting a few different types of vehicles and spending a decent amount of time in each. Spending that money now will save you time and money later. Full size truck and camper, converted van, camp trailer, etc,. It takes time and experience actually doing it (not reading about it, no matter how effective of a learner you are and you appear to be invested which is great) to understand what you need vs what you think you need at this point. Also what you need and want changes with experience - which is why experience can't be replaced as it shapes what your needs become. Without trying your options prior i can guarantee you your first purchase won't be your last. PandM gave sound advice.

Not with the least intent to sound condescending, only speaking from experience and seeing what i used to think 20 years ago to now. Have had fullsize truck and camper, multiple roof top tents, pop ups on mid size trucks, hardside on mid size trucks, canopy setup and have always used ground tents at or away from the vehicle with years of extensive prolonged time year round in the wilderness (on foot) in BC and the Yukon.

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Adding to the selectable locker discussion. This description is for true 4wheel drive without computerized traction control and is a bit oversimplified to illustrate the basics.

Most travel is best done with the differentials unlocked or "open" (most vehicles come from the factory in this configuration). This is for all road conditions (dry, wet, snow, ice, gravel). The reason for this that you will have more control and less tire wear.

Open differentials allow one wheel per axle to roll across the ground without being driven (turned by the drive train). In snow that means that you have one front and one rear wheel that are rolling along in the direction you are going. The other front and rear wheel in 4wheel drive are being turned by the drive train to push the vehicle forward. In slippery conditions, the wheels that are being driven tend to spin and break traction. When this happens the wheels that are rolling and not spinning help keep the vehicle going in the intended direction. This is especially useful when the road surface slopes to one side. "off camber".

When a selectable locker is engaged both wheels on that axle are fixed together. When one breaks traction, they both break traction and there is nothing holding that axle from sliding one direction or another. Off camber, the locked axle will want to slip down the incline. Around a wet or gravel corner, the locked axle will want to drift.

A selectable front locker engaged adds a ton of stress to the steering joints in the front axles. It can make steering difficult as well as break drive train parts and should only be done in very loose conditions and preferably with the front wheels pointed straight.

Engaging selectable lockers is very condition dependent and is generally reserved for situations when the vehicle wont make forward progress in 4wheel drive. Getting up a steep hill on a low traction surface, muddy or snowy tracks (roads with deep ruts) and Crossing undulating terrain where a wheel is lifted off of the ground. These conditions are mostly found on trails and unmaintained dirt roads (off-road). If planning to do a little off-road, you can get by with a winch. If you are going to explore a lot of off-road, selectable lockers are indispensable.

simple

Adventurer
Regarding the decision to change the gear ratios in axles, this is mostly done when a significantly larger than OEM tire is installed. Usually paired with a suspension lift. When installing selectable lockers, the gears are removed so if you know you want larger tires, it best to plan ahead and do it all at the same time.

An easy way to think about larger tires and gear ratios is this. If you put larger tires on, it is like always starting out in second gear and you may never use fifth gear. With an automatic transmission you might not notice it as much but its not optimal for many reasons.

Changing gears compensates for increased tire diameter and makes the vehicle operate in the ways that it was intended (brakes not included)LOL.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Having stand up height inside your camping rig is awfully nice when you’re camped out in areas full of clouds of viral, biting tiny insects, just sayin.

And if enjoying your adventure without being covered with a slippery, muddy, stinking mixture road dust and bug juice sounds good, redo your OEM window screens with a finer mesh before heading up to the far northwest, western Canada and Alaska.

Those bloodthirsty little No-See-Ums easily come inside to visit you through stock screens.

rruff

Explorer
Have had fullsize truck and camper, multiple roof top tents, pop ups on mid size trucks, hardside on mid size trucks, canopy setup and have always used ground tents at or away from the vehicle with years of extensive prolonged time year round in the wilderness (on foot) in BC and the Yukon.
Curious what you ended up with? Or like the best...

rruff

Explorer
Having stand up height inside your camping rig is awfully nice when you’re camped out in areas full of clouds of viral, biting tiny insects, just sayin.

Standing up won't keep them from biting... ?

One reason I like the west is that biting bugs are pretty easy to avoid... because they really like my blood for some reason. But... I have been camping in the 4-5k ft range in N AZ in the spring, and suffered through no-see-um season. Lasted about 2 weeks. Didn't know what was going on for awhile! Bit the crap out of me, but didn't bother the woman I was with.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
My advise is make your best guess at what suits you ASAP, buy a second hand one and get on the road.
Don't spend all of your budget because your choice (whatever it was) won't be exactly what you want and you will need to sell it and buy another one, at least once more or probably twice.
There is NOTHING like real experience to sort out your priorities.
That is just the way it is.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

This

84FLH

Forget about a Tacoma and Tundra (or any mid size or full size 1/2 ton truck), they won't have the payload/GVWR to handle a camper that is large enough to live in full time. You'll see people who do it, but they either have a shell camper or something like an OVRLND camper or they're overwieght.
Thank you stevo. I couldn't live in a shell camper or one of those bare minimum jobs. Need a few comforts for my almost 70 yo body.

3/4 or 1 ton it will be.

84FLH

Yes, airing down reduces load rating and to compensate you MUST reduce speed.
Failure to reduce speed will see the tyre overheat quite rapidly. Then it fails, but maybe not straight away.
I use a Michelin tyre and they publish great data (if you can find it). This graph is adapted for my use directly from the Michelin data.
View attachment 761839

This is derived from Michelin data and my pics.
View attachment 761840
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Peter;

Thank you! Printed (in color) and put it in my camper notebook. It'll be very handy when the time comes.

84FLH

What do you want/need? Do you like simplicity? Didn't you say you were a backpacker?

You might be surprised how little you actually need. I was. But you have to know yourself! If you like being in nature, and avoid inclement weather seasons, you might be happy without all the typical amenities. Even if price is no object, simple, small, and light have real benefits. Poop outside and use one of those folding seats with a bag for emergencies. Piss in a bottle at night. Use a sunshower or heat water on a portable stove. Wash dishes outside. Cook outside. Make it so you can get to and pull things out the back of your rig easily. Take out the rear seat if it's a pickup and use that for storage also. Use plastic bins and simple wood tables/structure for storage. Get some good coats, pants, sleeping bags, and blankets so you'll be comfortable on cold nights. A little propane latern can warm a decently insulated box 20F or more. Something for shade in the desert... I use the camper itself and the rear hatch serves as an awning. Drink wine or hard liquor (if you drink), eat food that doesn't require refrigeration for at least a week (there is a lot), treat yourself to a nice meal (or 3) in town when you go. Use a portable solar panel with a long cord and one of those decent power stations with LiFePo4 batteries... for led lights, phone, and a laptop.

If you want a van, a newer (with more gears) E series 2wd is a good bet IMO. Those 4wd conversions are overpriced. Add a regear and locker, bigger tires, small lift. You'll be able to go anywhere a sensible person should in their "house". Ground clearance is the main thing. If you want standup height, a topper is easy to build. Or get a good pickup and build or buy a box for the back. I built that setup in the pic on post #71 in 2 weeks (solo) in a friend's garage with minimal tools. Yes, I can work fast when I'm motivated!

I absolutely love waking up to the sunrise on a cold calm morning... the sun warming my body... the critters coming alive... no other humans for miles. Make some coffee and wander around, checking out the neighborhood.

So much good, practical advice. Thank you.

Can you expound a bit on regearing an E250/350? What's the purpose of regearing? More speed? More torque? To better match bigger tires? Is there a chart/formula/etc for what gearing works best with what tire size?

What, if any, are the downsides of regearing?

84FLH

And if enjoying your adventure without being covered with a slippery, muddy, stinking mixture road dust and bug juice sounds good, redo your OEM window screens with a finer mesh before heading up to the far northwest, western Canada and Alaska.

Those bloodthirsty little No-See-Ums easily come inside to visit you through stock screens.
Oh man, I hate those no-see-ums. They're relentless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues