what's a definition of a real land rover ?

blue bomber

Adventurer
Every time you post a picture of yours blue bomber I wish I had one just like it, a real Land Rover is one that is well used and has a story to tell. At 12 years old my D90 still feels new :)

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

aefed088-25fc-dfb8.jpg

tacr2man

Adventurer
That book is a Leyland Brothers offshoot , they did a overland travel series in Australia , it was on Tv , back in the late seventies IIRC

Desert Dan

Explorer
If it doesn't leak oil and smell like burnt 90wt it doesn't count.

Also a real Land Rover should require Girling brake fluid.

Of course a spare tire on the hood and rear door and a tropical sunroof help idnetify a real Land Rover.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
aefed088-3118-7d96.jpg
aefed088-312d-0d3d.jpg
aefed088-3143-b40a.jpg
aefed088-315c-d095.jpg

Check out this book I just found. Circa 1971. Has that cool old book smell.

aefed088-2b02-1919.jpg

I grew up watching the leyland brothers...my grandpa (R.I.P.. grandpa..)was good friends with them and they spent alot of time in my home town...still can't get their jingle out of my head...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I'm real fussy about this

I often refer to the D2 being the last proper Land Rover

Yes the D3 and D4 are great to drive but they are ugly as sin and truly legendary in thier unreliability. The RRSport is a motor for wannabe celebs and the L332 is just a shadow of what it should be.

I loved the Freelander 1; when I worked for Land Rover Experience I spent a lot of time developing and running the various commercial vehicle course and the Freebie was a big seller in that market. But it was unreliable, weak and too small for the real world

The Freebie 2 is a joke, no room, appalling road manners on bad roads....

The Evogue is brilliant, more fun than a a room full of potential than a large bed, a bottle of Absynthe, a bowl of fruit, a block of lard, two tins of cornbeef and Kirsten Dunst in a french maids outfit. If they would only throw a manual box on the petrol turbo... Mind you it's pointless as it has no room in it, cr&p visability to the sides and rear and sod all seating room. But I love it! An Evogue and twisty back roads is a natural thing.

But a real Land Rover needs to be live axled, shaped like a breeeze block, underpowered, built out of mecano and capable of driving round the world without touching tarmac

ipgregory

Adventurer
Look at it this way, are Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, Commanders, etc. "REAL" Jeeps?

No?

Then the only "REAL" Land Rovers are Series' and Defenders, the rest are just attempts to cash in on the success of the Range Rover (and the SUV market it helped create) which is now going to be spun off as a brand of its own. What will be left after the demise of the Defender line will be a company making Range Rovers and a company making mini Range Rover wannabees.

"The" Land Rover is/was a utility vehicle, no different to a Ford/Chevy/Dodge/GMC pickup. It is/was a workhorse and a tool to do a job, no more, no less. It's a utility vehicle, not an SUV.

Land Rover's products can be put into 3 simple categories:

1. Those running on Leaf Springs.
2. Those running on Coil Springs.
3. Those running on Balloons.

Fortunately the balloons haven't made it under "Real" Land Rovers (mostly) yet.

Flame suit on....

RangeBrover

Explorer
Actually if you want to get technical, since Land Rover decided to separate the brands into Land Rover and Range Rover, technically anything 2011 or earlier is a Land Rover. Any Range Rover 2012 and onward isn't a Land Rover anymore. :Wow1:

R-Overland

Adventurer
Actually if you want to get technical, since Land Rover decided to separate the brands into Land Rover and Range Rover, technically anything 2011 or earlier is a Land Rover. Any Range Rover 2012 and onward isn't a Land Rover anymore. :Wow1:

that's fine with me...for some reason

aka rover

Adventurer
I don't own anything but land rovers. After 35 years of Land Rovers as daily drivers I don't see myself buying a different vehicle just to use as a DD.

Yep thats all I own is Land Rovers as well!!!

These threads allways seem to bring out the evil side of me, so its nice to see a little Green Oval blood come out in these "HAHA"

My DD id a 2001 disco and a 1996 5spd SD, my other Rovers are a 1967 NADA a 95 D90 a 1971 series IIa a 94 range rover LWB aka "the truck" and a few other series rovers in different states of distress.

I wouldnt drive a anything else other than a Rover as well.

Cheers Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh