What's the fastest +12volt pump for airing tires up

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I don't think you mentioned what kind of vehicle it's going in or whether you want hard mount or portable. Whether hard mount or portable, air tanks will speed things up considerably. If you use a portable compressor with tank(s), you will need two quick connects, one to get air into the tank(s) and one to feed your air hose. Viair makes a lot of connectors with check valves for setups like this. If space is an issue the ARB is a good choice, but the ARB twins run hot. Max output is probably going to be from the big Oasis, but the smaller Oasis 3000 (?) puts out a lot of air; takes a lot of space. If you can find one of the old Warn single or twin cylinder units, those might still be the most bang for the buck. I have the big Warn single at 12cfm free air flow with 100% duty cycle (the twin is about twice that) and I like it a lot. It came as a portable unit in a handy cradle, but I pulled the unit off the cradle and hardmounted it in my truck. Warn SPI behind the grill:
Your install is impressive. I'm planning on hard mounting in the rear cab of a double cab 09 Tacoma.
The Zenith is much less expensive and you are talking one compressor rather than 2. If you add 2 of those OB2s you will have plenty of air. Mate it with a 5 gallon tank somewhere in your cargo space and you will fill them up in no time. Especially if you buy a 200 psi tank and you run 3/8s line off it.
Thanks. The Zenith and the dual ARB both weigh about 20 lbs each. A twin Zenith would be a killer setup. But I'm trying to limit my setup to just one device and not too much weight.

Thanks for the ideas. I measured today and the Zenith will fit where I want it to go...

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'm planning on hard mounting in the rear cab of a double cab 09 Tacoma.
Does that Taco have a storage bin under the rear seat bottom cushion? If yes, then the ARB might fit in the bin and still allow you to lower the seat over it. ARBs are pretty shallow when mounted on a horizontal surface. I think that if you get the ARB Twin in the portable version, you can just take it out of the case and mount it in the truck, and all you need to do is route power to it. I think all their portables already come with their own on/off switch and a pressure switch and relief valve, so it minimizes the amount of fooling around you have to do to make it operational.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Does that Taco have a storage bin under the rear seat bottom cushion? If yes, then the ARB might fit in the bin and still allow you to lower the seat over it. ARBs are pretty shallow when mounted on a horizontal surface. I think that if you get the ARB Twin in the portable version, you can just take it out of the case and mount it in the truck, and all you need to do is route power to it. I think all their portables already come with their own on/off switch and a pressure switch and relief valve, so it minimizes the amount of fooling around you have to do to make it operational.

I believe that setup is very expensive and only has a 1 gallon tank with it. Overall speed and efficiency would be better if he did a zenith with a 5 gallon tank. The bulk stored air makes things a breeze. He also will have the added benefit off having a holding tank he can fill and remove from the rig to inflate something else if need be. He could get a zenith all hooked up with everything he needs including a tank for less than the cost of an arb twin while having nearly identical specs

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I believe that setup is very expensive and only has a 1 gallon tank with it. Overall speed and efficiency would be better if he did a zenith with a 5 gallon tank.
Everything from ARB is really expensive, but the ARB will fit into spaces that the Zenith won't. The way the ARB portables are configured makes quick installations a breeze. I recently got an ARB single for another truck, because the ARB would fit space where no other quality compressor would work. If the ARB fits under the back seat, it's still an easy matter to plumb it to a tank on the frame rail under the cab. The Zenith looks fine if it fits where you want to put it.

texascrane

Adventurer
I believe that setup is very expensive and only has a 1 gallon tank with it. Overall speed and efficiency would be better if he did a zenith with a 5 gallon tank. The bulk stored air makes things a breeze. He also will have the added benefit off having a holding tank he can fill and remove from the rig to inflate something else if need be. He could get a zenith all hooked up with everything he needs including a tank for less than the cost of an arb twin while having nearly identical specs

"I don't care about cost, just the best performing one out there."

GR8ADV

Explorer

At what pressure? Filling tires to 40 psi is different than 90 psi. Look for something all metal (I could be wrong but I think there is plastic parts in the ARB), and continuous duty. I have an extream air magnum and am very happy. But if size and price don't matter try here. http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/viewitems/air-compressors/xd4000-continuous-duty-air-compressors?
But then why limit yourself to electric. I would expect the best performance off an engine driven unit.

texascrane

Adventurer
At what pressure? Filling tires to 40 psi is different than 90 psi. Look for something all metal (I could be wrong but I think there is plastic parts in the ARB), and continuous duty. I have an extream air magnum and am very happy. But if size and price don't matter try here. http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/viewitems/air-compressors/xd4000-continuous-duty-air-compressors?
But then why limit yourself to electric. I would expect the best performance off an engine driven unit.

Did you read the original post and the rest of the thread?

He's pretty much already defined the parameters. 33" tires most likely means he's talking about ~40-50 PSI at most. He wants a 12v pump and cost doesn't matter. I think it's safe to presume that size matters to the extent that it needs to fit somewhere within the vehicle. He also specifically stated in a later post that he doesn't to mess with anything running directly off the engine.

The ARB Twin, the ExtremeAire and the Oasis compressors have all been mentioned... as have pairing the pump up with air tanks. At that point it really comes down to what fits in a given location in his Tacoma and whether he sees value in the redundancy offered by the ARB Twin.

GordoSmasho

Observer
Twin arbs do have reliability and over heating issues. Do take that into consideration when placement time comes. Tucking a hot compressor in some hidden away, underseat compartment is not wise. The MV-90 is another option. They take a little tinkering but are cheap. Its made to be portable but like any of these compressors could also be mounted, run to a tank and variable output regulator and pressure switch. A few guys in my club have air chucks at both ends of the vehicle and are setup to have the ability to run airtools. Im mainly looking for tire air as i run battery tools and have a charger on board.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer

Which is why twin zenith compressors and a 5 gallon tank will be superior. The price of the ARB portable kit is more than the cost of 2 OB2s with a 5 gallon tank. That will greatly out preform the ARB twin setup. They are built like tanks and will far outlive an arb setup. The is a reason these get used in the best air ride rigs out there and not ARB compressors. They are 100% duty machines built to last with complete user rebuildablity

Crom

For my application, I'm airing up 33" tires from 15-20 PSI to 40 PSI. From real persons reports on TW, I know the Dual ARB can do this (20 to 40) in 2 minutes 10 seconds per tire. I'm pretty sure the Air-Zenith is going to be a very close second as far as time.

There is also the issue of warranty. Both the Air-Zenith and ARB have 2 year warranty. That's good.

I've dealt with ARB support before and my experience was excellent. I don't have reports for Air-Zenith support, so that's an unknown.

I like the idea of the ARB portable, all in one box, plug and play and that saves a lot of time.

The idea of the Zenith paired with a 5 gallon tank is intriguing. What I can't quantify is, how many gallons of air does a 33" tire need to go from 20 PSI, to 40 PSI? (It seems complicated to me cause it's dependent on how much PSI the tank is at?)

I also would like to know how much a 5-gallon tank would weigh. There is aluminum and steel. An aluminum tank mounted below frame rails kind of scares me. That's where it would have to go to.

As far as mounting the compressor, I'm not blazing any trails. Other Tacoma owners have used the space before with good results.

Yesterday I yanked out the plastic behind the seat which makes a lot of room for mounting.

Take a look.
855f8ee43b1841f0df181a998b0fd278.jpg

Made a little template to copy hole pattern for sheet metal bracket in the event I go ARB, if Zenith, it will get bolted straight down.

a5510d9a48ade2999f40a4ebd1ef820d.jpg

Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
A 5 gallon tank filled to 200psi would fill tires extremely quickly. A friend of mine fills his 33s off a 3 gallon tank in under a minute each. There are different types of 5 gallon tanks. I personally run a fatty in my jeep which is short length wise but large around. There are also skinnies which are long and a small diameter. Then there are pancakes which can fit in the area used by a spare tire. A lot of car guys not running a spare do that because it puts it completely out of the way. If you dont leave your spare tire under your truck that would be a perfect solution. For the price of the ARB portable kit you could have 8.5cfm of air with two zenith compressors. That would fill your tires in half the time the arb can without using a tank. Use a tank and it would be even less than that.

meental

Observer
I used to run a puma, paired to a 5 gal tank, when filling 2 tires simultaneously, it would take 6 mins if the tank was full(125 psi), 7 mins if tank was empty, so generally it took me 15 mins to air up all 4 33" tires from 10-40 psi.

I just picked up an air Zenith ob2 and I'm waiting on a few small parts, and I will compare it to my times with the puma. I also have an mv50 as a backup and that takes around 30 mins for all 4.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I used to run a puma, paired to a 5 gal tank, when filling 2 tires simultaneously, it would take 6 mins if the tank was full(125 psi), 7 mins if tank was empty, so generally it took me 15 mins to air up all 4 33" tires from 10-40 psi.

I just picked up an air Zenith ob2 and I'm waiting on a few small parts, and I will compare it to my times with the puma. I also have an mv50 as a backup and that takes around 30 mins for all 4.

Why are you only filling your tank to 125? Is it not rated for higher or do you have a low pressure switch?

meental

Observer
The puma was only rated to 125, the tank is good to 200. That's why the upgrade to the ob2. I'm still waiting on a 200/165 pressure switch and 220 psi safety relief valve.

Crom

The puma was only rated to 125, the tank is good to 200. That's why the upgrade to the ob2. I'm still waiting on a 200/165 pressure switch and 220 psi safety relief valve.

Sounds good. Do me a favor, and let me know your results.

I got in touch with Air-Zenith, and their 5-gallon aircraft-grade aluminum 300psi burst proof air tank has 8 ports: 4x 1/2", 4x 1/4".

And the following specs:

AZ-5-gal-alum-tank.jpg

I'm not sure I can fit this model tank under my Tacoma... Going to do some measuring tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk