What's the Trick to getting Good Shots?

Sawyer

Adventurer
most has already been said... go here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

Do some reading and it will also help you get started... He has some really simplified steps that can help...

But really.. it is about putting time behind the camera...

If you can take a class you can also learn a lot....

matt s

Explorer
Take Ken Rockwell with a grain of salt. However it is good basic info.

Shoot a bunch, read, read, read, shoot, shoot, shoot. Like all things the time put in to it will be reflected in the final product.

Other have hinted at it with comments about learning the basics. Just try to get it right in the camera. Post processing is part of the artform, however "garbage in = garbage out".

For my commercial and for hire work, if I have to spend more than 30 seconds on an image then I failed to nail it in camera and it goes in the trash. It's simply not worth my time. I have hundreds of images to process, photoshop is a very time expensive (and generally not very effective) way to make up for bad technique. Don't mis-understand, photoshop is a very important tool, just use it for it's intended purpose of editing and enhancing, not fixing.

OK off my soapbox! Just have fun, shoot like crazy and love it. It can change the way you see the world.

Last edited:

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Alright, just got back from my trip and had a fun Halloween weekend, hope you all did too. Here's some shots I took, please give me some feedback and thoughts about anything.

4071563854_7a8ac56a71_b.jpg

4071564964_90f2a9dc26_b.jpg

4071575432_fb14f484bc_b.jpg

4070811865_80b0332242_b.jpg

4071601034_e2e3976d65_b.jpg

jham

Adventurer
Stan,

I'm an amateur by all means, and one day hope to make it out west and visit folks like Michael and learn from people I see as the greats. One piece of constructive criticism I offer to you, though...

Most of your photos don't tell me anything. Scenery shots are hard to judge, I guess I'm just not a fan of most. Anyone can point their camera to the sky and pull the trigger. Look for things we always look over, and point them out to us with the lens of a camera.

Try people next. Every time I go to Africa, people are my main subject, because without words, they tell a story. Try telling a story with your photography, and see where that gets you.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Stan,

I'm an amateur by all means, and one day hope to make it out west and visit folks like Michael and learn from people I see as the greats. One piece of constructive criticism I offer to you, though...

Most of your photos don't tell me anything. Scenery shots are hard to judge, I guess I'm just not a fan of most. Anyone can point their camera to the sky and pull the trigger. Look for things we always look over, and point them out to us with the lens of a camera.

Try people next. Every time I go to Africa, people are my main subject, because without words, they tell a story. Try telling a story with your photography, and see where that gets you.

10-4. I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with. December is people month!

What's the trick to not getting nasty looks while you're trying to capture someone?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
10-4. I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with. December is people month!

What's the trick to not getting nasty looks while you're trying to capture someone?

hey stan. same comments from me. kinda blah about lanscape stuff. I like photography that introduces a different angle/perspective on something...

I looked at that first linked page and saw nothing super good there either, if it makes you feel any better..haha...

I'm surprised you were on an airplane and in an airport and didn't get any pics of any people...

Why do you think you need permission to photograph someone? :) I'd be careful with children (asking mom or dad, if you are having to get close,etc) but dude, snap away...

if someone asks, just tell them you shooting a wide angle shot. :D

ExpoMike

I have the hardest time shooting any people and only recently even took pics of Lisa and/or I. For some reason I feel I am invading their privacy. I have never been able to get over this feeling as of yet.

I love taking landscapes, scenery and objects but am just starting to figure out the more artistic side of things and have a long way to go. Here are a couple recent ones. Sorry for the hijack.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Stan the Man

Adventurer
hey stan. same comments from me. kinda blah about lanscape stuff. I like photography that introduces a different angle/perspective on something...

I looked at that first linked page and saw nothing super good there either, if it makes you feel any better..haha...

I'm surprised you were on an airplane and in an airport and didn't get any pics of any people...

Why do you think you need permission to photograph someone? :) I'd be careful with children (asking mom or dad, if you are having to get close,etc) but dude, snap away...

if someone asks, just tell them you shooting a wide angle shot. :D

I tried getting pictures of people in the airport, but couldn't get a close enough crop with the 18-55mm lens. The few that I got close to gave me dirty looks when they realized what I was doing :sombrero:

I'm eager and willing to learn, so as I said above, I'll shoot nothing but people for a month. I'll post my shots (unedited of course) and hopefully get some great feedback. I want to become a great photographer, I want to learn from the best! :victory:

Photog

Explorer
I tried getting pictures of people in the airport, but couldn't get a close enough crop with the 18-55mm lens. The few that I got close to gave me dirty looks when they realized what I was doing :sombrero:

I'm eager and willing to learn, so as I said above, I'll shoot nothing but people for a month. I'll post my shots (unedited of course) and hopefully get some great feedback. I want to become a great photographer, I want to learn from the best! :victory:

Stan,

Unless you have paid clients, the camera may make people nervous about what you are doing, or what you will do with the images. Even paid clients get nervous; but they have a vested interest in letting you work.

This might help during December (people month): Next time you are with family or friends, home or in camp, let them know you are working on your photography, and that you will be taking their pictures. Ask them to either ignore you or pose for you, but not to be nervous. Use a longer lens (80 - 200mm) so that you can keep your distance, and still simplify the image. Wide angle lenses can be fun too, but make the subjects less attractive.:)

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Stan,

Unless you have paid clients, the camera may make people nervous about what you are doing, or what you will do with the images. Even paid clients get nervous; but they have a vested interest in letting you work.

This might help during December (people month): Next time you are with family or friends, home or in camp, let them know you are working on your photography, and that you will be taking their pictures. Ask them to either ignore you or pose for you, but not to be nervous. Use a longer lens (80 - 200mm) so that you can keep your distance, and still simplify the image. Wide angle lenses can be fun too, but make the subjects less attractive.:)

Good advice. I would love a bigger lens, but can't afford one. I'll PM you my address and send you a Christmas wish list :ylsmoke:

You're saying you want to see portrait photos? Tightly cropped, shoulders up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater