What's the Trick to getting Good Shots?

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Stay focused on your schooling. You have a lot more invested (time & $$$$$$) in that. Work on your photography, when you can let your mind relax a bit.

Good luck on your finals.:coffeedrink:

Thanks Brian. I read an article stating that photography actually increases stress. I don't remember if it was posted on her or another board. :coffee:

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Alright guys, here's a little update. Over the past month, I've been trying real hard to better at my shooting. I've read some books, studied pictures from you all and others, and got out and shot. I have A LOT of pictures of my girlfriend, but thats because she's easy to shoot (err... I should say photograph). I've quick worrying about the settings, the colors, the exposure, etc., and I've just shot. Pictured in my head what I want and what I didn't and shot both.

I'll tell you what, a lot of the images didn't please me. But some did and I'm happy with that. :victory:

4271256510_d6be158690.jpg

4271238478_02772667c6.jpg

4271227796_481506d3d4.jpg

4262395628_3236c62ede.jpg

4261337503_fd337411fc.jpg

4261335607_a1c5e0ff53.jpg

4262076238_a3867ddc52.jpg

4262113830_155f4f6338.jpg

Please leave me with comments, feedback, anything.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The bridge kissing shot is pretty cool. For me, of the photos you've posted, that is the only that that tells a story or has a compelling aspect to it. I know nothing about flash photography, so can't offer any help there. With the other photos, I would recommend shooting more towards the corners of the day, when the the light is at sharper angles. The flat overhead lighting is not helping you. You might also try taking more detail oriented shots. Zoom in, find a component of the scene you are looking at that tells the story by itself.

Also, a lot of yours shots are of people (feel free to post more of your GF :)
. I like looking through the images on POTN to see what others are doing. I learn alot from just browsing, but what I like, and what I do NOT like. Here is one thread on People: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26 (you might need to register, not sure?)

Stan the Man

Adventurer
The bridge kissing shot is pretty cool. For me, of the photos you've posted, that is the only that that tells a story or has a compelling aspect to it. I know nothing about flash photography, so can't offer any help there. With the other photos, I would recommend shooting more towards the corners of the day, when the the light is at sharper angles. The flat overhead lighting is not helping you. You might also try taking more detail oriented shots. Zoom in, find a component of the scene you are looking at that tells the story by itself.

Also, a lot of yours shots are of people (feel free to post more of your GF :)

Hah, thats because my assignment was "people". I'll let my lady know you want more pictures of her :sombrero:

Here's some other shots:

4270580957_06a1306204.jpg

4262337234_fa1c1da57a.jpg

4271226920_c278870550.jpg

4262084762_2a99462407.jpg

4262069046_14a66b97c3.jpg

Feel free to browse my Flickr and add comments to the photos. I'd love to hear anything and everything.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I'm starting to pick up the functions of the camera. Making adjustments for lighting, exposure, etc. The problem is when I'm in the field trying to get shots, I get a little anxious and forget to adjust the settings. Its a learning process though.

4407132955_d305a82acc.jpg

4407125927_28e024bf6c.jpg

4407143709_b4686dc702.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
A little light reading might be in order "the Magic of Digital Nature Photography" by Rob Sheppard.
While you never have the ability in the wilds to control light, learning what you can control with your camera, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, are all important processes of learning photography. This is second only to practice, but in order to evaluate your images, you need to know why it is how it is, which brings us back to what you can control and what you can't.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
A little light reading might be in order "the Magic of Digital Nature Photography" by Rob Sheppard.
While you never have the ability in the wilds to control light, learning what you can control with your camera, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, are all important processes of learning photography. This is second only to practice, but in order to evaluate your images, you need to know why it is how it is, which brings us back to what you can control and what you can't.

Have any feedback for the couple of photos I just posted? How would you change those controllable settings to make the images better?

Photog

Explorer
The phots are a journalistic style. They have never been know for exact exposures or artistic style.

In the photos 1 & 3, it might be exactly what you want. It shows the sign and person holding it, with an angry face. If that is all you wanted to show, you could use an aperture setting (f-stop) close to 2.8. This would cause the people in the background to be out of focus. But; you may want to show the volume of people in attendance, and keeping the background in focus (as you did) with an f8-f16 aperture will do that for you.

Also: The photos do not explain what the ralley is about; something about access or education. Is it about providing free education to people that don't pay taxes? I really can't tell.

Photo 2: Buildings tend to look better when they can be kept square and vertical. A shift-type of lens (usually sold as a tilt-shift) will fix this issue. It can also be corrected a little in Photoshop. The clouds are a bit over-exposed, but not terrible, since they are not your subject.

Dennis David

Observer
For the first shot a longer lens will also help isolating the person with the sign. For the last picture many photographers actually carry a small stool or hold the camera above their heads so that they are able to shoot over the crowd. A articulating LCD also helps.

Now that live view is becoming more popular I wish the 1D MKV came out with an articulating LCD for those of us that are under 6ft tall.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
The phots are a journalistic style. They have never been know for exact exposures or artistic style.

In the photos 1 & 3, it might be exactly what you want. It shows the sign and person holding it, with an angry face. If that is all you wanted to show, you could use an aperture setting (f-stop) close to 2.8. This would cause the people in the background to be out of focus. But; you may want to show the volume of people in attendance, and keeping the background in focus (as you did) with an f8-f16 aperture will do that for you.

Also: The photos do not explain what the ralley is about; something about access or education. Is it about providing free education to people that don't pay taxes? I really can't tell.

Photo 2: Buildings tend to look better when they can be kept square and vertical. A shift-type of lens (usually sold as a tilt-shift) will fix this issue. It can also be corrected a little in Photoshop. The clouds are a bit over-exposed, but not terrible, since they are not your subject.

Thank you. What would have been a good way to show what the rally was about? Am I supposed to show that all in one picture or in a series of photos?

For the first shot a longer lens will also help isolating the person with the sign. For the last picture many photographers actually carry a small stool or hold the camera above their heads so that they are able to shoot over the crowd. A articulating LCD also helps.

Now that live view is becoming more popular I wish the 1D MKV came out with an articulating LCD for those of us that are under 6ft tall.

I'm 6'7" and that was taken from my eye level. I saw a couple of people do that, but thats because they were much shorter and it didn't strike me that I should have done it too.

Photog

Explorer
Thank you. What would have been a good way to show what the rally was about? Am I supposed to show that all in one picture or in a series of photos?......

Sometimes it takes a series of photos. Maybe one of the signs being waved has enough info to know what is going on. Get a good view of that sign, as part of your series. Capture the mood, by the facial expressions. Don't do like the big media - create the mood they want to report on.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The only thing I can thing of would be what photog said about playing with the aperture. I also have a hard time with the journalistic approach, but knowing your camera and it's capabilities is important in learning your trade. Having an "eye" for photography is about 40% instruction and 60% practice. maybe a little more in the practice.
IMO in the first image, the main subject could have been super sharp and the people behind could have been a little fuzzy. Making an effort to learn the "rules" of photography is a good way to learn composition. rule of thirds, rule of leading lines, etc etc.

Photog

Explorer
There is an old photo-journalistic saying from the days of the Graflex cameras.

"f8 & be there".

The idea was to set the aperture at f8, and place yourself at the right place, and wait for the right time. f8 would provide enough depth of field to allow for being slightly off on the focus. Photojournalism is typically for newspapers and weekly magazines (not National Geographic, Pop Photo, etc.).

Good photojournalism is attained by being at the right place, at the right time, and getting a photo or set of photos that can enhance the story being printed.

If that is what you want to do, keep practicing.

If that is not waht you want to do, work on a different type of photography.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater