What's wrong with this picture?

maximumrob

Adventurer
Some of y'all are nuts. That thing is bad to the bone. You can haul your big horse trailer *and* your big car trailer and not have to pay for hotel.

Coooooool. It's even 4WD...how can that not appeal to this crowd?

wikid

Adventurer
So many assumptions. I Bet this person has a specific use for this truck. Maybe he uses it to pull his huge trailer or fifth wheel, but decided to buy the camper for his weekend warrior excursions. He may not have another truck to use, just for weekends and thought he could use his work truck for another purpose. It may wheel pretty good. Even though it looks to be top heavy, think about how heavy the drive components are, fuel tanks etc. It may not be as top heavy as it looks. Cool Idea, if he is using it in another manor than usual.

EdoHart

Observer
DRW vs SRW

???????? What? I'm clueless on this comment.

DRW is an acronym for "Dual Rear Wheel" and SRW is an an acronym for "Single Rear Wheel." It's a measure of how many tires are on the rear axle of a heavy duty pickup truck. A DRW truck has 2 wheels and tires on each side of the rear axle, an SRW has only one wheel and tire on each side.

jh504

Explorer
Post a picture of big foot on this site and everyone will talk about how its not suitable for an expedition rig. It is the same concept.

78Bronco

Explorer
I think its functional vehicle but one thing is bothering me. Why did they install really low hanging steps after going through all the trouble of lifting it and installing larger tires. It must be a pavement princess.

The towing setup doesn't look heavy duty, I bet they tow a golf cart with it.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Anyone considered this could be a work vehicle? If I was towing a HE trailer around from this site to that and I wanted to negate the hotel stays and I already had the truck, the next step seems logical to add a camper.

Aaron

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Looks right to me.

Looks like a very cost effective alternative to a UNICAT, etc. for a both ways around the world trip.

Follow a bit of Doug Hackney's saga and I will wager that he could give you a lot of reasons for a high truck to camper ratio. Once you get into the serious third world, that kind of storage and fuel capacity is VERY nice. Look up pictures of btggrpahix's Kodiak/Lance camper rig - survived a South America trip quite nicely. This rig adds better tires.

string

A friend of mine was considering that type of rig to pull a big horse trailer. He said the guys that he knew that had already switched from a diesel pickup were glad they did. You get a whole lot more truck for not much more money. You probably would not want to herd that in and out of sandy washes all day long, but you can bet they have their place.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Not much different then a UNIMOG camper so to speak, I keep hoping for that next job so I can justify the purchase of a mog that I can add a camper to. :)

Aaron

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
DRW is an acronym for "Dual Rear Wheel" and SRW is an an acronym for "Single Rear Wheel." It's a measure of how many tires are on the rear axle of a heavy duty pickup truck. A DRW truck has 2 wheels and tires on each side of the rear axle, an SRW has only one wheel and tire on each side.

Ah! Thanks. :)

It wouldn't be how I would spend my money (if I had those funds), but I agree that the owner had his/her reasons. Not for me to question.

It is eye catching, though!

KEENO

Adventurer
DRW and offroad travel: The consensus is that DRW allow for 'fist sized' rocks & similar debris to become trapped between the rear "duallies" as the tires flex while driving offroad. Removal... Then becomes a PITA!

Really.... My observation was in fun! I applaud the dude/dudette for having the vision to put 'his/her' truck together and Roll With It!:victory:

KEENO:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal