What's wrong with this picture?

jasonL_031

Adventurer
i think theres nothing wrong with the camper.. i like it looks like it could go anywhere on the desert or the artic......

I think its fine too.
It looks way better than a 3500 crew cab with a 11-13ft camper with no pop up. I really dont think you need a bigger camper because you get a bigger truck.
This way he keeps a desent wheelbase and i dont think the CG is any worse than the Mitsu FG etc. since most of the weight is low.
My guess would be that he needs the towing capacity or somehow else uses the truck without the camper as well.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nothing wrong with it if that's what the owner wants. Not quite what I would build but if everyone liked m&ms it would be a boring trip to the candy store!!

D

DEEZLPWR

i think it is way awesome and id wheel it any time.

all of those that hacked about that rig, post up your rig and lets make fun of how one person doesnt like it cause of this or that....

Dont turn this site into pirate 4x4 please.... :mad:

jh504

Explorer
I am not totally hating on this guy's rig. It actually could be a very useful platform, and he did a pretty good job on a lot of it. Its all in good fun, no need for anyone to get offended. This truck is just an easy target sitting out there in the parking lot. If we saw it out on the trail doing what this rig would be capable of, it would be a different story. The camper is a little small for the truck, but he has massive amounts of storage space, and maybe that is what he really needs for whatever he does. He does need to get rid of that 5' high hitch though unless he is actually using it.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
i think it is way awesome and id wheel it any time.

all of those that hacked about that rig, post up your rig and lets make fun of how one person doesnt like it cause of this or that....

Dont turn this site into pirate 4x4 please.... :mad:

Agreed!

milo12

Adventurer
Funny how people are so touchy about this. He built the behemoth with his own money so he must have had a reason. I just think it is an odd vehicle choice. As far as usability it is close to a Unicat 12? feet tall, 8 feet wide etc but without the living space. Obviously with the height and width it is very limited on the trails it can use.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it needs a snorkel.

jh504

Explorer
Funny how people are so touchy about this. He built the behemoth with his own money so he must have had a reason. I just think it is an odd vehicle choice. As far as usability it is close to a Unicat 12? feet tall, 8 feet wide etc but without the living space. Obviously with the height and width it is very limited on the trails it can use.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it needs a snorkel.

X2.
Folks on this site have an opinion on how everything else is either suitable or not suitable for expedition type travel. From the width of your tires to all sorts of other stuff. The fact that this rig is not very suitable for much of anything, save towing a massive load, seems to escape some.
Like I said before, I would like to see it offroad and see what its actually capable of. If you like the rig or think it would be an excellent offroad camper platform then post up about why you think so. I pointed out before it has massive amounts of storage space. It also could tow just about anything you would want to. However other than those two things what good is it?

87FoRunner

Adventurer
i think its fine too.
It looks way better than a 3500 crew cab with a 11-13ft camper with no pop up. I really dont think you need a bigger camper because you get a bigger truck.
This way he keeps a desent wheelbase and i dont think the cg is any worse than the mitsu fg etc. Since most of the weight is low.
My guess would be that he needs the towing capacity or somehow else uses the truck without the camper as well.

x2

XtremeMike

Thats VERY Cool........I like it,and admire someone who is willing to be unique..after, we all can have the 3/4 ton truck with a 9.5 ft camper....WHY BE NORMAL !!!!:safari-rig::safari-rig::victory:

inked33

Adventurer
its possible that maybe he doesnt use it for off-roading. he might work away from home alot. there are construction guys who will travel all over the country working for months or longer at a job site. he could have tossed the camper on there to save as much of his per diem as possible. i worked with a few guys who towed a camper with them to the various jobs.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I found the picture on the camper forum.

What camper forum? Do you have a link?
I would be interested to see the context it was originally posted in on that site.
There may also be a way to contact the owner and learn more about the vehicle and how it is used...... you know, before we make assumptions and jump to conclusions. :coffee:

Brian

D

Deleted member 9101

I found the picture on the camper forum.

I think it is a very bad idea. That thing is way upside down on, size vs living area, and cost vs utility. Some people just like to build huge useless rigs. Whatever floats your boat.

That same camper on a Toyota (or any normal truck) would be far more capable.

Just a thought, but perhaps he has a 30' enclosed trailer to tow... or maybe he just likes to have the ability to carry all of his gear and not slow down for hills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal