What's your go to blanket for camping?

Gonzzo

Observer
Exped Wallcreeper 32°.

I use this for EVERYTHING.

Blanket, roomy sleeping bag (I'm a big guy), great in the mornings, just pull up the feet part, tighten the waist cord and POW!, coffee in bed by the camp fire!.

PERFECT for hammock camping!.

Have used this down to the low teens with polypro undies, nice thing is, zipper runs down center so if you get too hot, unzip a bit and cool down your core without chilling the rest!.

Hard to find now though.

Good luck with your search!.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

larcie

simple 200 grade polar fleece sheet, from any fabric shop, $5.00.
light, cheap and effective.
Had to double up one night in the snow.

harbinger808

Adventurer
ripstopbytheroll Frontcountry DIY kit. We bought the fabrics and insulation that best suited our intended purposes. The plus side for my wife was that we could decide what colors our blankets would end up having which was part of the fun.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
So here is my take on the RTT/ Rumpl thing. It weather below say..40 degrees ish F. The Large Rumpl gets cold. (The synthetic) I mean the material itself is ice cold. I was not to thrilled with it and I just got back from high altitude below zero camping for days and days. A couple 20$ Costco large thick fleeces under it would of been awesome. I ended up breaking out my trusty down mummy to finally get warm. I really wanted to like them, and I do at warmer temps, Laying around a hammock or next to a campfire bundled up in a small Rumpl is awesome. For a main blanket in a RTT in the COLD,,, not a great choice.
For warmer summer camping you betcha I'll be packing both my Rumpls everywhere.

Now if I could only find my old beat up poncho liner.......... Woobie where are you??

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Haven't used a blanket camping in decades...
I layer a rectangular bag (can't tolerate mummy bags since I got turned around in one) with a military poncho liner inside and, if necessary/rarely, for very cold camping an inexpensive fleece bag.. When winter camping in the mountains I used to wrap a poncho (rubberized) around the outside of the bag (but you need to dry out the bag every day).
Enjoy!

StomperNJ

Bound is truckless man.
My wife and I both use 20 degree LL Bean rectangular flannel sleeping bags. When the temp drops below maybe 35 she sticks a Mountainsmith 30 degree back inside her bag and I stuff my bag with a heavy fleece blanket.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My wife bought me this blanket for Xmas and I love it!

http://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/atc-wool-blanket-large

It's size adds to it's versatility. I've used alone numerous times. Also, over, under, or both combined with whatever sleeping bag I think is going to be appropriate. If I guess wrong on the bag, adding this blanket to the mix worked well for me for the last year. I'm using it in a small ground tent or occasionally in the back of a van. It went with me on every trip this year.

Great company to deal with BTW

Thanks Jgaz!

A blanket is one of those trusted pieces of kit, whether around the fire or in/on a sleeping system. I'm a bit of a bedroll geek and having slept in everything from the clothes on my back to synth-gore-$-systems bags. I've found I like having a couple of wool blankets to supplement whatever bedding I'm using. Good luck and sweet dreams.

trailscape

Explorer
My wife bought me this blanket for Xmas and I love it!

http://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/atc-wool-blanket-large

It's size adds to it's versatility. I've used alone numerous times. Also, over, under, or both combined with whatever sleeping bag I think is going to be appropriate. If I guess wrong on the bag, adding this blanket to the mix worked well for me for the last year. I'm using it in a small ground tent or occasionally in the back of a van. It went with me on every trip this year.

Great company to deal with BTW

I also really like the ATC wool blankets. I use mine with a combination of a sheet or fleece depending on temps. Worked well last weekend over 10k feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77