When do you learn to trust a new to you truck?

Douglas S.

Adventurer
It takes me a little while to trust a new vehicle. With my 80, trust came after changing out the fluids and fixing a few little things on the truck. I think working on it lets me get to know the vehicle, and once I know it, I begin to trust it.

Hopefully that makes sense. :)

G_fresh

Adventurer
With my 80, trust came after changing out the fluids and fixing a few little things on the truck. I think working on it lets me get to know the vehicle, and once I know it, I begin to trust it.

I could not have said it better...

Check the PHH. (Search PHH on the FAQs of MUD if you don't know what that is...)

Klierslc

Explorer
Those codes are the death knell for your ECU/ECM. The good news is that it is not a big deal. AFAIK, the only symptom of the bad ECU is the codes--it still manages the engine just fine. This is relatively common on the 93s and you can get the later ECU pretty cheap if you want to change it.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Do you have more info? I searched Mud, Google and even called my friendly Toyota mechanic, all came up empty.... if what I am reading, you are telling me the CEL will come on, but everything will run as normal! What would a later ECU do for me then? Thanks in advance!

Those codes are the death knell for your ECU/ECM. The good news is that it is not a big deal. AFAIK, the only symptom of the bad ECU is the codes--it still manages the engine just fine. This is relatively common on the 93s and you can get the later ECU pretty cheap if you want to change it.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I would trust it until it gives you a reason not too.

also I would read Mud sparingly. By the time I bought my land cruiser I had read so much about head gasket failure I had literal night mares about it blowing. 10k miles later its still running like a champ. (knock on wood)

reece146

Automotive Artist
Do you have more info? I searched Mud, Google and even called my friendly Toyota mechanic, all came up empty.... if what I am reading, you are telling me the CEL will come on, but everything will run as normal! What would a later ECU do for me then? Thanks in advance!

Have you noticed a drop in fuel economy? Just wondering if the ECU fails to open loop mode.

Klierslc

Explorer

I would give you a direct link but mud is blocked from gov computers in afghanistan. If you search for "bad ecu codes" or "bad ecm codes" it should pop up. This may work: forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/572410-93-fzj80-bad-ecu.html

If all else fails, send a pm to semlin--he had that problem a couple years back.

As far as I know, the ECM will run indefinitley with those codes. I sent streakerfreak cross country from VA to AZ with those codes and no issues. The later ECMs have a minor update(escapes me as to what they changed) and will not throw the codes.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I really think this is my problem! I have the same feeling!

I would trust it until it gives you a reason not too.

also I would read Mud sparingly. By the time I bought my land cruiser I had read so much about head gasket failure I had literal night mares about it blowing. 10k miles later its still running like a champ. (knock on wood)

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thank you... I searched teh code numbers and came up blank when it first happened... I will research it! (ps thanks for your service!)

I would give you a direct link but mud is blocked from gov computers in afghanistan. If you search for "bad ecu codes" or "bad ecm codes" it should pop up. This may work: forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/572410-93-fzj80-bad-ecu.html

If all else fails, send a pm to semlin--he had that problem a couple years back.

As far as I know, the ECM will run indefinitley with those codes. I sent streakerfreak cross country from VA to AZ with those codes and no issues. The later ECMs have a minor update(escapes me as to what they changed) and will not throw the codes.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
If a truck is reliable enough to daily drive a normal commute of say 40-60 miles round-trip, every day for 6 months or so, I'd say I would "trust" that vehicle.

This would be after a normal baseline maintenence and taking care of smaller random repairs that come up like you mentioned, or like the radiator that went poo about a month after I bought my jeep.

All cars are different, but most will keep on trucking even with things a bit out-of-whack.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I think trusting your rig is really trusting yourself. If you have driven it for a few weeks and have gone through it making sure everything is properly serviced and up to date then I see no issue. All things mechanical will break from time to time. When you trust in yourself to make any reasonable trail side repair or get to / contact civilization, you will have confidence in your ability to complete any trip wether its to the local park or remote areas of baja.

ab1985

Explorer
x2 on Mud. Great technical resource, but those guys are way too paranoid about their 80's.

I prefer just diving in with a used vehicle. I bought my 4Runner in Utah. Nothing like a 1600 mile drive home to get to know your truck. I bought my 80 in GA and drove it to TN for a weekend of camping before heading home. In both cases, by the time I hit my driveway I was feeling pretty good. Tune it up and carry tools and an auto club card. All that said, you can do this with a Toyota. I wouldn't recommend with a Jeep or Rover.

86tuning

Adventurer
You've already put 2k onto it. That's what I do in 3 months of DD if I don't do any road trips. If you haven't had any problems, I wouldn't worry about it. However, a bit of preventive maintenance goes a long way. Try not to get too carried away though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk