When to trade up? The economics of "new" vs "old"

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Another consideration is your level of customization / accessories. I recently thought about trading up my JKUR to a JLUR for the better braking, engine power, and tow capabilities in the new body style.

However…

My front bumper, rear bumper, roof rack, custom radio mounts, custom air compressor mount, custom ammo can racks, custom cargo shelf, and custom cargo tray are all specific to the JK body style… so I’ll probably hold onto if for another 5-6 years, as I’ve invested 8 years getting it just how I like it!

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Another consideration is your level of customization / accessories. I recently thought about trading up my JKUR to a JLUR for the better braking, engine power, and tow capabilities in the new body style.

However…

My front bumper, rear bumper, roof rack, custom radio mounts, custom air compressor mount, custom ammo can racks, custom cargo shelf, and custom cargo tray are all specific to the JK body style… so I’ll probably hold onto if for another 5-6 years, as I’ve invested 8 years getting it just how I like it!

I haven't done any serious customization, and honestly would just like to purchase a vehicle that already has nearly everything I would want - Tremor, Power Wagon, or AT4.

I'm leaning towards just keeping what I have for a while longer, but another consideration I hadn't thought of was quick replacement of it should an issue arise that doesn't warrant fixing it. No one around has anything on their lots, especially configured as I would want. Ordering something will take probably 3-6 months to show up (from talking with people I know that have ordered vehicles in that past year or so). So that's something I need to consider as well.

No payments, cheaper insurance, cheaper licensing, all things that really make me just want to ride this thing out until it breaks for good.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I haven't done any serious customization, and honestly would just like to purchase a vehicle that already has nearly everything I would want - Tremor, Power Wagon, or AT4.

I'm leaning towards just keeping what I have for a while longer, but another consideration I hadn't thought of was quick replacement of it should an issue arise that doesn't warrant fixing it. No one around has anything on their lots, especially configured as I would want. Ordering something will take probably 3-6 months to show up (from talking with people I know that have ordered vehicles in that past year or so). So that's something I need to consider as well.

No payments, cheaper insurance, cheaper licensing, all things that really make me just want to ride this thing out until it breaks for good.

The ease of replacement issue is a concern, but is also sort of a push. If you total any vehicle tomorrow, you may have a hard time finding a line-in-kind replacement or even an upgrade anytime soon.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I do some repairs myself, but I don't have time to spend 8 hours/side to replace an exhaust manifold or other lengthy repairs. I also don't have a second vehicle so it's not something I can park and work on when convenient.

Having the space, ability and 2nd set of wheels does play into the process. My off-road toy is not my daily. I have space to do the work. Plus my rig being older is much easier to work on. No overhead cams, mile long chains, guides and phasers to fail. Just an anvil like reliable big block Chevy with the simplicity of a basic factory efi system that if needed I can get parts at any local corner parts store. Backing it is a manual trans where the computer is my brain telling my foot and hand what to do and when.

No computer controlled instruments or hvac system. Crank windows and manual locks. It’s almost Stone Age!

Do I miss some creature comforts like a huge by wide infotainment screen? No. No cost to fix crap that isn’t there.

I’m in the minority with my mindset. Not everyone has the ability or want to drive a 30 year old rig and keep it going. But I am a firm believer in keeping the daily driver and offroad toy as two separate entities. You always have a backup. If the weekend round of upgrades goes wrong or another part is needed you go something else to drive to work. Same goes if the daily breaks. You got the offroad rig to get to work.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I have seen enough newer vehicles being towed that I have a hard time with the automatic assumption that newer is better.
If I’ve dropped a ton of cash, or worse, made myself a slave to debt for a new vehicle, I’d like to assume it will be reliable. That doesn’t mean it will be reliable. Plus, as already mentioned, by doing so I’ve dramatically increased cost in other areas as well.
If I drive an older higher mileage vehicle and it winds up on the same tow truck, I am far more accepting of it. I usually toss a motorcycle on the back rack of my old suburban if I’m heading on a big trip. It brings me comfort to know I can use it to get to the next town in the event of a vehicle failure. The motorcycle costs a fraction of what a new vehicle does and doubles as a fun toy.

I also agree with Zoomad that vehicle redundancy has merit. I can’t tear into something to fix it while also driving it.

zcoughlin

I am in the exact same boat. Came from an 05 F150. Now I have a 2013 eco boost with 101,000 miles. I have a travel trailer that I’ve towed about 15k miles. My truck has had minimal issues. But I have been looking at pre 2017 F250s and 350s with the 6.2 gas. They have every feature my truck has now, and used examples under 50k miles are in the low 30s. So I’ll only be 5-8k out of pocket when it’s time to move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater