Where are all my MilSurp equipment fans at?

Correus

Adventurer
I've known them as woobies for at least 30 years.

From Wikipedia:

"Poncho liners were first used by the U.S. military in the Vietnam War. They gained the nickname 'woobie' later; that term is conjectured to have derived from the name for a child's security blanket in the 1983 movie Mr. Mom.[2]"

Interesting... in all of my years of being in the military, helping train military/non-military people after that as well as collecting military surplus all these years, I never heard it called a "woobie" until at a gun show a few years back.

Correus

Adventurer
I enlisted in the marines as infantry in 95. Got out in 2002. Never heard it call anything other than a poncho liner. Wonder if this is a branch thing?

Was wondering that as well, but I was in the Army and it was always called a poncho liner. The DIs were sticklers when it came to proper kit references. You didn't dare refer to your rifle as a 'gun' or you paid by running around the barracks buildings chanting the rifle/gun ditty. Then I was wondering if it could be an enlisted vs non-com & commissioned thing.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have pet squid... never heard him use the term, but 'tactical blanket' wouldn't surprise me. As to the chair-force... do they go outside long enough to even use one?
I don't honestly know.... But I do know that they won't settle for less than a 4 star hotel when they are TDY...hsha

D

Deleted member 9101

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Had a friend that went into the Chair-force a few weeks before I went into the Army. Later we compared notes... those guys were on vacation.

Dude... It's definitely a different lifestyle.

I have a cousin in the AF and other than sleeping in an RV on the flight line every now and then he's always slept in his own bed or a really nice hotel.

old_CWO

Yeah I am a bit of a milsurp geek too. Here's a list of stuff that I have or had and think top notch:
  • Wool blankets
  • Navy white cotton medical blankets
  • Modular Sleep System. I have my 1999 issue 3 piece set and it's still going strong
  • ECWS thermal undies
  • NATO gas cans
  • US water cans
  • Ammo cans
  • Canvas tool bags
  • Pilot's kit bags
  • BDU pants. Not modern ones, the good old three color NATO woodland camo 100% cotton "summer weights."
  • Gore-Tex foul wx parka with removeable fleece liner
  • Navy pea coat
  • Current issue side zip duffle or sea bag (way better than digging into the bottom of the old ones!)
  • Fishtail parka - I have an excellent condition vintage one with real coyote fur trim that I wore on Alaska patrols. It's probably Viet Nam era and I got it issued to me new in package. **************.
  • Hard plastic first aid kit boxes - the little indestructible green ones
  • Army foot lockers
  • Aluminum radio or medical equipment boxes
  • Compartmented shipboard "prison" trays

Hnoroian

Observer
Ooo... the things of my dreams... whatever order you want to put them in...

Hardigg shipping containers (especially the Medchest 3)

ammo boxes of all sizes

gas cans

web strap netting (if I can ever find them locally)

H1, 2.5 and 5 ton trucks (still dreaming and currently don’t have any)

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Ooo... the things of my dreams... whatever order you want to put them in...

Hardigg shipping containers (especially the Medchest 3)

ammo boxes of all sizes

gas cans

web strap netting (if I can ever find them locally)

The gas cans and ammo box/storage hardigg containers are the cats meow.

I use the Scepter gas cans. Found a few at a local store that sadly went out of business. Something I bought for the cans the other day was a lid wrench. Every time I struggled to get them to be nice and tight and then it was a PIA to get them off. Finally started to look for the wrench and found one. Let me tell you, totally worth the $22. I live in Tennessee and the shop is in Florida. Got here in 3 days:

Reactions: WVI

MTVR

We chose something bigger, stronger, and more modern than any of those.

Our truck has power steering, power brakes, automatic overdrive transmission, ABS, traction control, air conditioning, and can carry 15 tons.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I was in the army reserve for eight years. I slept in a tent once, it was air conditioned, and most of us were drunk.
When I got out everything they let me keep was given to goodwill except a couple pairs of winter boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk