Where can I find a good quality tarp?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Where can I find a good quality tarp?

Looking for one to use for an in camp awning.
Length: 6-8ft.
Width: 5-6ft.

Would like it to easily shed water for occasional use during foul weather.
Grommets should be securely fastened as it may be used in windy weather.

Was considering the basic hardware store varieties and even the harbor freight ones but thought I ought to ask first.

TIA.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I can get anything you want built out of real material and real gromets. Do you have an exact size in mind? How many and where do you want gromets? Do you need a special color or just whats available for a reasonable price? Is anybody else interested? They would probably be the lightest and last tarp you ever bought because they would be made from racing sail boat material.
Let me know what you need. If we have interest we can get these made and you can just pay cost direct the manufaturer. In the mean time I'll get a quote on a basic 6x8 with gromets for you.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I can get anything you want built out of real material and real gromets. Do you have an exact size in mind? How many and where do you want gromets? Do you need a special color or just whats available for a reasonable price? Is anybody else interested? They would probably be the lightest and last tarp you ever bought because they would be made from racing sail boat material.
Let me know what you need. If we have interest we can get these made and you can just pay cost direct the manufaturer. In the mean time I'll get a quote on a basic 6x8 with gromets for you.

Thanks. I'm looking at a 6x8 piece and possible a larger 8x12 piece instead. The dimensions are approximate. I'll check the actual dimensions on my rig's roofline/rack for both the size and grommet locations.

PolyTuf Brands makes a quality tarp, this is what we use.

Click Here: PolyTuf Tarps

Where can I buy PolyTuf tarps? I don't see any purchase info on their site.

jrose609

Explorer

I'd be interested too......6x8 would be a good size.

tuber

I recall reading a post a couple months back from someone that purchased a tarp from http://www.tarpsplus.com/ - I thought it was this forum but I might be mistaken. They were very pleased with the quality. The tarps are made to order, and they have a number of colors available.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I asked him about that and said he would not use a Sunbrella material. Sunbrella is a great fabric but it breaths a little too much and holds a little water like wet canvas. He recomends this stuff and says it's totaly water proof and the price is good. This guy makes sails and covers or any thing else in made of heavy fabric you can think of. You can look at it and see the price per yard. He can sew in any number of gromets you would like and make them extra strong like on a sail. I know his work and it would be kick azz. he needs to know how manny gromets so he can give a total price. I'll put you in touch after we hash it out a little here. Link to fabric he says is great: http://www.yourautotrim.com/topgun.html

PhulesAU

Explorer
I asked him about that and said he would not use a Sunbrella material. Sunbrella is a great fabric but it breaths a little too much and holds a little water like wet canvas. He recomends this stuff and says it's totaly water proof and the price is good. This guy makes sails and covers or any thing else in made of heavy fabric you can think of. You can look at it and see the price per yard. He can sew in any number of gromets you would like and make them extra strong like on a sail. I know his work and it would be kick azz. he needs to know how manny gromets so he can give a total price. I'll put you in touch after we hash it out a little here. Link to fabric he says is great: http://www.yourautotrim.com/topgun.html

color me stupid:confused: Which cloth are we talking about Marine Covers? I didn't see Sail making stuff.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
One of the best sail makers in the country is a buddy of mine and thats the material he recomended. If he says thats the cloth over sail cloth then he should know because he makes sails. Sail cloth is strong but not abraision resistant and dosn't take well to folding because it's a hard material. He would just take this marine cloth and sew the grommets and reinforcements to hold up to a gale.

UNI

Adventurer
Off-Roader Posted: Where can I buy PolyTuf tarps? I don't see any purchase info on their site.

I want to apologize for taking so long to reply, you can purchase the poly-tarps from Electra Tarps. They stock the 6oz. Sun Shield UVI tarps, if you want the 8 oz. tarps they can get them for you.

I hope this helps, sorry for the delay.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven