Where to start, so many options and mods.

nerfherder101

So where do I start when considering modifications? I drive a 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport and she's all stock right now but my camping adventures are taking me away from the usual campgrounds. Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Drive it stock until you find a shortcoming with it. Stock will get you most places. Lift, lockers, RTT, fridges, etc make it easier and more comfortable. You have to figure out which mods you need and which ones you don't.

tacozord

Adventurer
When I began, the logical choice was tires and suspension. But I also added on the front bumper and winch all at the same time. My thought process was that weight of the bumper and winch affected the suspension. Thats why I ordered mine with 700lb springs instead of 650.

But you can always do tires and suspension first. Then add on armor as you need it. If you find that your suspension is lacking as a result, make the adjustments and move on. For example, at some point I'll be adding a shell and more weight to the rear. At that point I'll have to get new leaf springs to accommodate. Until then, I'm fine.

Clutch

<---Pass
Drive it stock until you find a shortcoming with it. Stock will get you most places. Lift, lockers, RTT, fridges, etc make it easier and more comfortable. You have to figure out which mods you need and which ones you don't.

I agree with this.

Go out and travel in your vehicle...you'll figure out what you need. I find that as get older....less is more. Believe many get lost in "The Build" and bolting a bunch of accessories on, than actually getting out and exploring.

Me personally I don't need much.

This is probably favorite thread right now.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/139944-Old-s-Cool

It all boils down to tires. You want bigger tires to be able to get the truck down those lonely roads. You need the suspension and gears to go with the tires and then at some point, you need more horsepower to push it all.

Need vs want
Tires = want
Everything else = need

Clutch

<---Pass
It all boils down to tires. You want bigger tires to be able to get the truck down those lonely roads. You need the suspension and gears to go with the tires and then at some point, you need more horsepower to push it all.

Need vs want
Tires = want
Everything else = need

I dunno, you take a stock Toyota a lot of places...can keep the stock size and just get a burlier tire. Just go out and explore...when you find yourself breaking things or can't get to the places you want to go...upgrade.

A person can get on here and start reading these money cannon builds, it can be overwhelming if they are new to the back country exploring...just get out there and start exploring and worry about "mods" later.

nerfherder101

I agree with this.

Go out and travel in your vehicle...you'll figure out what you need. I find that as get older....less is more. Believe many get lost in "The Build" and bolting a bunch of accessories on, than actually getting out and exploring.

Me personally I don't need much.

This is probably favorite thread right now.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/139944-Old-s-Cool

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I need to just get out more and see what we're capable of and go from there.

Watt maker

Two things I highly suggest upgrading are, 1. Tires. Even a decent set of stock size AT tires is a big upgrade from the factory tires. This alone will help you go more places than you probably thought imaginable. 2. Self recovery equipment (I probably shouldn't lump this into one item). For the times the AT tires let you get in over your head.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I need to just get out more and see what we're capable of and go from there.

You're welcome.

That list fog cutter linked to, is great...I always forget about that...since I just kinda do my own thing, I grew up off-roading and exploring...a lot of it just comes second nature to me. I like to keeps thing very very simple.

It is kinda funny, you'll be "out there in the boonies" in modded up rig...being all proud of yourself...then you run across some old rancher in old beat up 2WD F250...."this" nothing to him, he does it on a daily basis in much much less.

Last edited:

v_man

Explorer
You need a tube bumper so u can weld a bottle opener on it ...
IMG_3041_zps630c35ae.jpg

nerfherder101

I totally agree about tires. I swapped the crappy tires for Geolander ATs as soon as she came off the lot.

As far as bottle openers go, I must carry one on me at all times and there must be three in the truck. That and growler lids just screw right off.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Tacomas are still very capable stock. Especially if you have an e-locker. I believe the most important modification would be a winch. Especially if you're camping out in remote areas or by yourself. But that also usually means adding a bumper, suspension etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad