Which fridge if money is no object?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We decided that we would get ourselves a fridge for our 2009 anniversary/birthdays/Christmas. I was eyeing the Combi.
Is there a better choice?

campinglab

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
if size is no object i think i would go with the Engel 60 combi, if you want almost the same capacity with a much smaller footprint the National Luna 50 combi might be the best choice.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
rusty_tlc said:
We decided that we would get ourselves a fridge for our 2009 anniversary/birthdays/Christmas. I was eyeing the Combi.
Is there a better choice?

Welcome to the darkside. :shakin:

It was hard for us to spend the money on our Waeco 50, but now that we have it, it's one of those things you wonder how you ever did without it. It truely is one of the better items for extended camping, plus it works great for the Costco meat runs when you have other errands to run.

Jack

AndrewP

Explorer
Dan-We all recommend what we have, but remember, you also have an FJ40. Don't get too big a fridge or it will be unmanageable in a small truck like a 40. The Engel 45 is basically the perfect size and is plenty for 2 people for a week of travel. Even the 45 is pretty heavy when loaded. Just my vote, but I would go smaller, as opposed to larger. The 40-45 will serve you well, the 60 is gigantic. It's not like you travel with a family of 5.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Maybe Eutectic Fridge Options?

In Aus, they seem to like eutectic fridge freezers because they have a design that holds liquid in the walls of the fridge that hold the fridge temps down and you can just run the compressor for short periods of time and still maintain the desired inside temp.

They don't seem to be marketed in the US right now though with the greatly improved exchange rate, these highly efficient fridges may be an option?

Any Aus folks with experience on these have an opinion?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I have an Engel/ARB and tickled with it. But if money was no object, the choice is simple:

National Luna Fridge/Freezer

national_luna_40l_side.jpg

OJ test proved it... you can't get a better fridge. However, it is twice the cost of an Engel/ARB.

Pete

allnew2me

Does the National Luna use the Danfoss compressor?

On edit, It must be Monday, I just answered my own question, it does indeed use the Danfoss.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
AndrewP said:
Dan-We all recommend what we have, but remember, you also have an FJ40. Don't get too big a fridge or it will be unmanageable in a small truck like a 40. The Engel 45 is basically the perfect size and is plenty for 2 people for a week of travel. Even the 45 is pretty heavy when loaded. Just my vote, but I would go smaller, as opposed to larger. The 40-45 will serve you well, the 60 is gigantic. It's not like you travel with a family of 5.

I agree that in an FJ40 the largest fridge you would want is an Engel 45MT. Mounted on a Slide Lock, and inside a Transit Bag you would be set.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I have 2 waecos,an 80 litre and a 50 litre. Both of them are great products.

I have noticed a few people claiming the National Luna is the best ,but looking throuh the specs (amp draw,compressor type) they seem to be on a par with Waeco.

Can anyone tell me what makes the National Luna so much better seeing as though they use the same Danfoss compressor?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
AndrewP said:
Good points. I don't see the fridge being used in the 40 much but it would be nice to have the option. I also saw how Ali mounts his fridge in the second row seat location. I think the smaller fridge would work better in that location on the 100 and provide better access than on top of any future drawer system.

Can you manage frozen and fresh foods in the 45? I know Spressomon has a system for doing this that he likes.

AndrewP

Explorer
rusty_tlc said:
Can you manage frozen and fresh foods in the 45? I know Spressomon has a system for doing this that he likes.

Funny-I leave the fridge in the 40 all summer, and in the 80 the rest of the year.

There really isn't a clean way to carry both fresh and frozen foods. I tend to start week long trips with most things frozen, aim for a temp just above freezing, and most of the goods will last a week or so. I did eat some 10 day old steaks last year in Utah, and they were borderline, but I didn't get sick, so it must have been OK.

Most beverages I take warm, and just add a few sodas or beers at a time to the fridge.

I'm happy with the Engel, I'm sure the other brands are fine even though they are less common in the USA.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
AndrewP said:
Funny-I leave the fridge in the 40 all summer, and in the 80 the rest of the year.

There really isn't a clean way to carry both fresh and frozen foods. I tend to start week long trips with most things frozen, aim for a temp just above freezing, and most of the goods will last a week or so. I did eat some 10 day old steaks last year in Utah, and they were borderline, but I didn't get sick, so it must have been OK.

Most beverages I take warm, and just add a few sodas or beers at a time to the fridge.

I'm happy with the Engel, I'm sure the other brands are fine even though they are less common in the USA.
The FJ40 is to small for the two of us and the dog so we go most places in the UZJ100. The FJ40 gets a lot of summer use for day trips and my solo camping trips, ie scary trails like Rubicon and Fordyce. For the most part I'm okay with simple meals so I can get by with a cooler.

On the other hand those Carnitas you made last summer on Fordyce were pretty tasty. :chef: I may have to expand my horizons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy