Which has the most cargo area? 80 or 60

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
LC guys please help me answer these Q's for the 80 or 60 LC's
Which has the most cargo area?
Higher Payload capacity?
Comfort?
Better Engine assuming they are gas and diesel is not an option?

A

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I don't know the numbers, but having owned both I would think the 80 has more cargo area.

I have no idea about payload.

Comfort is a no brainer - the 80. I would even venture to say that is not even subjective - quieter, better seats, better HVAC, better suspension.

At least in the U.S., 60s had the carbed 2F (FJ60) and EFI 3FE (FJ62) engines. The 80s used the 3FE (91-92, some 93s) and the 1FZ (93-97). I think all the engines were very durable, but I think the 1FZ is by far the best set up, at least in terms of power, response, etc. I also find the engine compartment of the 80 much better to work in than the 60.

I loved my 60 for what it was, but the 80 is better in every way (other than looks) IMHO.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I actually measured the cargo areas of both and the 60 has slightly more cargo area than the 80. I do not currently have the numbers, but the difference is only a couple of cubic feet.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The reason for these questions is as follows. I absolutely love the later 60's actually the 89 so a 62 if I'm not mistaken. The square headlights just do it for me. I keep trying to sell my wife on space and recycling........we should recycle a 89 LC62 and use it as our family vehicle (more room than the built 3rd Gen 4Runner). I plan on using it for my extensive driving from home to job site and back. I wouldn't do much to it other than 33x9 or 33x10 AT's and a 2-3" lift other than that it would need little. I know the 80 has more comfort and the AC will be an issue in FL, especially in the summer months. But just trying to map a plan in my head for a future purchase while not this year perhaps next. All help and opinions are appreciated.

A

JohnnyS

Explorer
I've driven both and the FZJ80s (with the 1FZ) do a much better job on the highway than anything with the 3FE.
Especially where you live, the average highway speeds tend to be a little on the high side.
Quieter and more comfortable too, in my opinion.
Take it easy,

bomar

Adventurer
The reason for these questions is as follows. I absolutely love the later 60's actually the 89 so a 62 if I'm not mistaken. The square headlights just do it for me. I keep trying to sell my wife on space and recycling........we should recycle a 89 LC62 and use it as our family vehicle (more room than the built 3rd Gen 4Runner). I plan on using it for my extensive driving from home to job site and back. I wouldn't do much to it other than 33x9 or 33x10 AT's and a 2-3" lift other than that it would need little. I know the 80 has more comfort and the AC will be an issue in FL, especially in the summer months. But just trying to map a plan in my head for a future purchase while not this year perhaps next. All help and opinions are appreciated.

A

I have had both and I prefer the 62. If you are a bigger person the driver and passenger have alot more room in the 62. Neither of the trucks are fast trucks so that is not going to be an issue. I feel like the 3FE engine is a better engine than the 1FZ due to the head gasket worry and the only downside is the trans in the 62. If you are planning on towing anything move on to the 80. The 62 gives you a look that is not on every other corner like the 80 does which is a good look 80 owners. The a/c on a 62 will freeze your butt out as any Toyota with a Denso compressor. If you stay with a 33 inch tire you will be good to go. With a 62 you get the split case and part time 4wd so less wear and tear on front DS. Both great trucks and if you like the looks of the 62 then go that route.

Good luck in the choice!

:elkgrin:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
We have both an 80 and a 62. The cargo area of the 62 is far bigger. It is wider at the roof than the 80 by some 4 inches, maintaining a more squared off interior, and the seats fold better in the second row.

I'll get some comparison pics for you as I am cleaning out both rigs for reorganization today anyhow.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I feel like the 3FE engine is a better engine than the 1FZ due to the head gasket worry and the only downside is the trans in the 62. If you are planning on towing anything move on to the 80.

Clearly 1FZs have had their share of blown headgaskets, but I really think the "problem" is overblown as it effects very few. The same way the 60 series has the "oil galley plug" issue, which can be far more catostrophic. But in the same way, it effects so few relative to the population of engines I, personally, consider it a non-issue. Especially considering how long these engines live.

Had I owned a 62, instead of a 60, I may have just stuck with it. The carb, 4spd tranny, and manual locks/windows were the big turnoffs for me. Some people consider those to be the biggest benefits.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
I've owned a FJ60, a FZJ80 and now a 4th Gen 4Runner like yours .... the FZJ80 is far and away a closer analogy to your 4Runner then the FJ60 in terms of comfort and a daily driver, no question in my mind. With regard to cargo size, I do believe the FJ60 beats the FZJ80, but it's not by all that much, both have a lot more then your 4Runner. In terms of power and highway driving, the FZJ80 and the 1FZ are FAR more capable then the 2f or 3FE in the 60 series, night and day in my eyes .... no the 1FZ is not "fast" by any measure, but certainly much quicker then the 3FE. I found either engine to be dead reliable and enjoyed working on both .... on the flip side, I found the 5ZE (is that right?) in my 4Runner to be a pain in the *** to work on, especially the friggin starter!! Grrr!

I agree that the 60 series is sexy as hell (although I prefer the round headlights of the FJ60 vs. FJ62) but you mentioned you would be daily driving it and I think the FZJ80 is a much better choice with that in mind. I'm actually thinking about picking up another FJ60 for weekends and whatnot ..... now that I have a 20 mpg V6 4Runner for DD duties ;)

Pokey

Adventurer
I know the OP didnt ask- but if you are planning on doing anything more offroad oriented vs. pure expedition:

-the 80 came optionally with Lockers (will cost you $1500 on a 60)
-Lift springs cheaper than leafs on an 80.

Ducks

Adventurer
As already stated, the 60/62 has more cargo room than the 80. I've daily driven an fj60 and an fzj80. I don't think it is that big of a deal to daily drive a 60. They're fun and if you don't have to worry about hills than even better. The auto in the fj62 makes it a real slug. I've ridden in an fj62 with a manual h55 transmission. Much, much better. Definitely a good swap to do. The fj62 pulls really nice once you get rid of that auto. I prefer the 60 over the 62 but to each his own. The 3FE is supposed to be a solid engine. I'm putting a 12HT into my fj60 so I won't be dealing with the 2F any more. Good luck. :beer:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I know the OP didnt ask- but if you are planning on doing anything more offroad oriented vs. pure expedition:

-the 80 came optionally with Lockers (will cost you $1500 on a 60)
-Lift springs cheaper than leafs on an 80.

Yes and no, I try and build my vehicle so they can straddle both offroad and expo duties. Most mods are though out and useful. Like my 3rd Gen 4Runner. The 62 if purchased would get a mild lift, 33x10 AT's rear LSD (if available) front lunchbox locker, gears, and rock sliders. All the other stuff would be on a budget and usefulness index. The 80 would be purchased with lockers and lifted mildly and so on and so forth. You'd be amazed at where stock Toyota's can get on their own (with driver). So lightly modded just makes them that much better.

A

Ducks

Adventurer
Yes and no, I try and build my vehicle so they can straddle both offroad and expo duties. Most mods are though out and useful. Like my 3rd Gen 4Runner. The 62 if purchased would get a mild lift, 33x10 AT's rear LSD (if available) front lunchbox locker, gears, and rock sliders. All the other stuff would be on a budget and usefulness index. The 80 would be purchased with lockers and lifted mildly and so on and so forth. You'd be amazed at where stock Toyota's can get on their own (with driver). So lightly modded just makes them that much better.

A

I don't know, I think I'd put the LSD in the front and put an Aussie Locker in the rear. I have Aussie lockers front and rear and don't really like the loss of turning radius that I get from the front Aussie Locker. Driving the Aussie Locker in the rear on pavement isn't really an issue.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Clearly 1FZs have had their share of blown headgaskets, but I really think the "problem" is overblown as it effects very few.

Easy to say unless it has happened to you. I have a beautiful, babied FZJ80 with nearly perfect upkeep (M1 oils, rad flushes, good and appropriately-tested fuels based upon conditions) and had an HG problem. More common than you'd expect.

The carb, 4spd tranny, and manual locks/windows were the big turnoffs for me. Some people consider those to be the biggest benefits.

Yes, but why turnoffs for you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad