Which rear diff locker or limited slip best for snow and twisty paved mountain roads?

Rockhounder

Explorer
Hi all, Well, we are getting our first snow this week in Big Bear, CA and I was planning on getting a rear differential locker setup for both my 1988 1500, and 1991 1500 4wd Suburbans. They are the stock differentials.

Because of the need to go up and down the mountain, with tight twisty paved road, can't have a full locked differential, as it would be undriveable on the tight switchbacks, but need something which will engage when starting to slip in snow (or regular dirt/sand road driving).

Was thinking of a limited slip setup that can bolt into the existing differential, what would you guys recommend (budget minded). I do not want to have something that you have to go out and engage manually, rather an install-n-forget setup.

Was thinking of a limited slip setup that can bolt into the existing differential, what would you guys recommend (budget minded). I do not want to have something that you have to go out and engage manually, rather an install-n-forget setup.

I've never seen a limited slip that will use the stock differential, only lockers like the lockrite, etc. You may want to find a stock axle with a govlock and matching gears and just swap the entire axle in. Stock GM axles are a dime a dozen it would be a lot cheaper than have a new limited slip installed.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Assume you have a 10 bolt in both? I'd second the truetrac. Along with the obvious limited slip benefit, it replaces the relatively weak stock carrier with a better part. No, it won't replace the spider gears in the stock carrier like a lunchbox locker will though.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the True Trac if it's in the budget, otherwise swap in a G80 14 bolt rear end from the junkyard

Rockhounder

Explorer
Ok, thanks for the advise so far. I was quoted by a mechanic up here that he could put a limited slip into our axles for $400 each.... using our original axle shafts, and some other center differential parts. Just new limited slip parts.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ok, thanks for the advise so far. I was quoted by a mechanic up here that he could put a limited slip into our axles for $400 each.... using our original axle shafts, and some other center differential parts. Just new limited slip parts.

Is he just installing rebuilt G80 LSD's?

bajarat

Explorer
Most LSD's (Auburn's) use clutch packs which can deteriorate and need service/replacement.

Truetrac is an all mechanical, worm gear LSD.

I have a Truetrac in the rear diff of my 2013 JKU Wrangler and it performs well for my needs.

MikeBoyle

Observer
For snow you want a limited slip or selectable locker only. You do not want a drop in "locker". The true trac is going to be the best option for your situation.

bajarat

Explorer
So,

You said he would do the labor at $400/axle........that is reasonable

Truetrac's will run about $460 for each axle.

$800 labor
$920 Truetracs

$1,720 plus diff fluids and shop supplies ....Truetracs need to have diff fluid changed after 500 break-in miles.

So you are looking at about $1,800

Rockhounder

Explorer
So,

You said he would do the labor at $400/axle........that is reasonable

Truetrac's will run about $460 for each axle.

$800 labor
$920 Truetracs

$1,720 plus diff fluids and shop supplies ....Truetracs need to have diff fluid changed after 500 break-in miles.

So you are looking at about $1,800

Summit racing with his discount is about $350 each. $800 labor? He said each axle is about 1.5 hours labor. At his rates that is about $100. Up in Big Bear, this is a very common job that is done to the trucks here, and he already is set up for doing these a lot. Even looking at online howto videos, it shows a newbie doing it in under a couple of hours, including proper shimming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven