Which rear diff locker or limited slip best for snow and twisty paved mountain roads?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sorry for the dumb question but what's the difference between a TrueTrac and the G80 that comes in some GM trucks?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Most LSD's (Auburn's) use clutch packs which can deteriorate and need service/replacement.

Truetrac is an all mechanical, worm gear LSD.

I have a Truetrac in the rear diff of my 2013 JKU Wrangler and it performs well for my needs.

Above statement pretty much nailed it on the head.

Sorry for the dumb question but what's the difference between a TrueTrac and the G80 that comes in some GM trucks?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Setup is pretty straight forward on these since you aren't messing with the pinion depth. You'll be happy with them.

Silverado08

Observer
I think they are pretty much the same,,True trac might be better stronger maybe??

..though I put 300K on my 2000gmc with G80 locker without any problems,,just have to take care not to over rev and beat on it,,when stuck take it slow and easy..

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
I've been seriously considering a detroit tru trac for my 2wd ranger to give some added help when off roading, do you guys recommend it a lot more then something like a lock rite locker?

radorsch

Adventurer
I really like my TrueTrac. You don't even know its there, until you realize you just drove out of something that should have had you stuck. Its seamless on dirt and on the street - great manners.
One real benefit of the TrueTrac over most other LSDs I checked out is that the TrueTrac is a really high bias LSD - IIRC, it biases up to about 75-80% of torque of the wheel with traction, while the TracLoc and G80 (I think) only bias about 40%. I think I recall the numbers correctly; its a big difference.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have been researching a long time about this topic, if you are not rock crawling, truetracs are the best. I am installing them in my suburban, F150 and my wrangler this spring. the suburban maybe this year since it will help a lot plowing snow. As long as your not putting tires in the air all the time, the truetrac is the most sensible option out there.

11MPG

Love my TrueTrac. Truck weighs 6,000 pounds and with a built motor and 4.88 gears I sheared the spider gears clean off in my G80. Tried a DuraGrip and I sheared those spider gears as well after only 1 month. Dropped in the TrueTrac and 50,000 miles later I've had Zero issues.

I didn't read anything but original post, anyway a locker for traction in snow on twisty mountain roads. Are you nuts? Seriously a locker is the last thing you need. Spend some money on snow tires studded preferred. That's all you need, get a set of chains if it makes you feel better to have them but the snows are all you need.

Rockhounder

Explorer
I didn't read anything but original post, anyway a locker for traction in snow on twisty mountain roads. Are you nuts? Seriously a locker is the last thing you need. Spend some money on snow tires studded preferred. That's all you need, get a set of chains if it makes you feel better to have them but the snows are all you need.

Because there are 22 days a year on average in big bear that you have snow covering the road surface, and going down the hill to where there is never any snow, it would be supremely impractical to have studded tires that you have to swap every 5 days, when a storm blows in. Detroit True Trac is what is seeming the best. On my original post, I mentioned lots of twisty turns roads and highway. Of course a locker is a non starter. We have to by CHP regulations keep chains in our vehicles at all times(if we have 4wd. If 2wd, during snowy conditions you have to have them on the wheels), otherwise they don't let us pass off the mountain or come up the mountain to big bear.

I still think the locker is the wrong way to go. It tends to push rear-end out when traction is tricky. I have an E locker in my pickup stock and I never ever use it on snow covered roads. No way do I want one that I cant shut off, recipe for disaster imnsho.

Rockhounder

Explorer
I still think the locker is the wrong way to go. It tends to push rear-end out when traction is tricky. I have an E locker in my pickup stock and I never ever use it on snow covered roads. No way do I want one that I cant shut off, recipe for disaster imnsho.

we are agreeing with you. the true trac is not a locker, but a physical worm gearing which massively slows down the rotational differential between each tire, so in effect you are getting relatively balanced power to each wheel. A locker is totally undriveable on paved surfaces

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven