Which Roof Rack would you Buy?

rathvona

Observer

Clymber

Adventurer
I was just doing the same thing looking for a roof rack for my tacoma. I was going between Front Runner and Baja rack. I did a search and from what I read the powdercoating on the baja racks was a main concern of most people and to me the biggest factor on the frontrunner that i picked was how i was able to customize it the way i want

I have a friend that has a gobi rack and they love it. It seems like gobi has some great customer service also and I am pretty sure you can get a ladder to make getting stuff on and off the rack a ton easier. I think it comes down to are you going to actually going to use the rack or are you putting it on for the looks. Why ppl drop money on their trucks for looks i will never understand but people do it for some reason. To me I would rather drop a larger amount of money on something instead of half the price and get higher quality instead of buying the cheaper one and finding out its total crap and then have to go out and get the more expensive one. Most people look at me like i have 2 heads when i say that to them but i have bought lesser quality stuff in the past and have been screwed, knock on wood it has never been in a life or death spot but its still a pain in the ***

volkinator

Frontrunners are awesome, but sadly no options for a 3rd gen T4R. Prinsu design studio has some cool stuff for Tacomas if you haven't seen that! And I've heard he's coming out with a 3rd gen option.

volkinator

K9's are pretty cool! I wish they didn't sit as high as they do, and I'm not sure on my feelings of the track it mounts to. Do you have to replace the existing and drill holes/reinforce the roof?

Lastly, both of them don't have any options for a sunroof insert...

MightyP

Observer
I'd go with the Baja Rack, especially given the type of racks you're looking at. First, it's a great rack for much less. Both will support something like 300 lbs in motion and 800 lbs static. Both have lots of options to attach equipment. The Baja Rack doesn't have a cutout for the sunroof, but will still work with your sunroof. Gobi does have the insert option. Also, as far as I know, Gobi is the only one that sells a ladder to mount to your tailgate. Last, Gobi racks have the mesh on the floor, where the Baja Rack doesn't. Again though, for the price difference, I'd get the Baja Rack with Gobi ladder.

I also avoid business with Gobi as much as possible. Since they are the only ones who make a ladder for the 4th Gen, I'll get their ladder, but I won't get their rack. They sued a very small manufacturer (Whitson Metalworks) last year for copyright infringement. Their suit was legal, but I really don't think it was moral. So I'm not a fan. Gobi racks are nice. Really nice. But I have issue with their business practices.

camodog

Adventurer
I am looking at bajarack stealth with mesh floor for the 5th gen. PC can always be redone or replaced

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I would avoid Gobi personally due to their recent bullying to other rack builders. Thats just me, Im sure they build a nice rack.

p_j_o

I have been thinking the same thing for my 2014 4Runner. At one point I was pretty sure I was going to go with a BajaRack until I read about all the issues people were having with the PC on it. Living on the "wet coast" I have had a number of good looking option for my old Tacoma rust and seize up on me due to the fact they were not made/designed for wet weather.

The following is the opinions I came to:

K9 - nice looking systems but I don't like the length wise slats as it makes it hard to have an opening for a sunroof
Gobi - best looking setup however not sure how handy it will be when I eventually get a RTT with those rails in the way
Baja - tied for best looking rack with Gobi, very large user base with huge PC/rust issues
FrontRunner - very customizable setup, including slat placement, not sure I like the square front look of it
Prinsu - sleek bolt together design, customization like a FrontRunner but not a fan of drilling plusnuts in my roof
Proline - similar to Prinsu, including the drilling & plusnuts

Still think I might end up with a FR, if I can find a way to hide the square nose ;-)

Good luck in your choice - I'll be watching to see what you end up with...

Paul

camodog

Adventurer
I have been thinking the same thing for my 2014 4Runner. At one point I was pretty sure I was going to go with a BajaRack until I read about all the issues people were having with the PC on it. Living on the "wet coast" I have had a number of good looking option for my old Tacoma rust and seize up on me due to the fact they were not made/designed for wet weather.

The following is the opinions I came to:

K9 - nice looking systems but I don't like the length wise slats as it makes it hard to have an opening for a sunroof
Gobi - best looking setup however not sure how handy it will be when I eventually get a RTT with those rails in the way
Baja - tied for best looking rack with Gobi, very large user base with huge PC/rust issues
FrontRunner - very customizable setup, including slat placement, not sure I like the square front look of it
Prinsu - sleek bolt together design, customization like a FrontRunner but not a fan of drilling plusnuts in my roof
Proline - similar to Prinsu, including the drilling & plusnuts

Still think I might end up with a FR, if I can find a way to hide the square nose ;-)

Good luck in your choice - I'll be watching to see what you end up with...

Paul

For what it is worth, I have read that Baja has changed not only the process for PC but also suppliers. They listened to the concerns of the customer. I am willing to give them a shot. I had baja on my LJ (prev owner installed it) and I did not have the rust issues etc.

I do not work for baja just simply giving my .02 :)

Loubaru

Adventurer
I would avoid Gobi personally due to their recent bullying to other rack builders. Thats just me, Im sure they build a nice rack.

Same here. I was actually able to get a Whitson Metalworks 3/4 rack before he got sued. The rack was such a good deal (group buy) for how well it was built that I almost wanted to pay him more, I found myself questioning how he even makes money off of them. Josh was also VERY easy to deal with, great at responding to emails and keeping me updated. He went out of his way to drop the rack off at Fedex so I could use my companies shipping account/discount and to save at least $100 on shipping. Long story short is Josh/Whitson Metalworks is/was a great company, more or less a pinnacle of what small businesses should be like IMO, because of this I cannot see ever buying a Gobi product.

SpinPhotography

I've got the BajaRack utility rack on my 5th Gen. Solid build, great customer service and the PC seems very well done. I also considered the Gobi until hearing about their customer service issues and the lawsuits. Also BajaRack is a big supporter of the off-road community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chmura

Adventurer
I just received my K9 rack yesterday. I have a Gobi now that I removed and will be selling it.

K9 rack looks like a solid rack but it came with 4 missing bolts and spacers. So I'm waiting for those to come in before I could install it..

mountain mike

I'm looking a racks right now for my 3rd gen too. The Baja and Gobi are both on my short list. Of the two you posted I would go with the Baja. I don't like the Gobi with the tire carrier. Takes up a lot of room and I can't imagine trying to put a spare tire up there, not to mention the change in your center of gravity.

I have owned two Baja racks and they are worth the money. They are very sturdy and do their job. I did have an issue the the powered coating on both, but they there both made pre 2010. Maybe they have addressed the paint issue. I will also say the welds in the Baja weren't the prettiest.

I personally I am leaning towards the Gobi Stealth. I like the profile of it and how it follows the roof line. I have looked at the in person and they seem very well made and sturdy. I also like the sunroof option. However the price tag is a little off putting.

As for the whole Gobi vs the "little guy" I think it is all BS. Gobi isn't exactly a big corporate entity. They are protecting their business and the patent they have filed with the US Government. Whitson Metalworks was an unfortunate event. They build nice racks, but ultimately it sounds like they violated us patent laws. I can't get mad at Gobi for another companies lack of research or business planning. Gobi is also a local Colorado business not yo far from me. I like that if I buy a Gobi I am supporting my local economy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal