Which tent for frequent use by tall people? Alucab, JB?

NORDNDED

So what I really want to run is the Alu-Cab gen 3 tent and the shadow awning attached directly to it, but I'm 6'6" tall..

But I should start out with my intentions first I guess so here it is. Currently I live near Raleigh, NC and know of no one in the area with the Alucab tent so I could see it in person. I am moving to CO later this year and plan to do lots of exploring, roughly 100 nights per year. So ultimately, durability, ease of use and comfort take precedence over just about anything else. Also, a hard shell tent is my only consideration. I have a 2016 JKUR that I plan to put my setup on top of with the Rhino Rack backbone and platform but I am also open to other rack suggestions too. My main issue though is that I'm pretty dead set on using the Alu-Cab Shadow awning for all that it offers and because it is easy enough to open up if only for a short lunch break. With that being said, the Alucab gen 3 seems to be about the best option since the awning can mount to it, plus it appears to be about as durable as it gets and opens/closes in a flash. But, at only 82" of interior length and a clamshell design which I'm assuming makes it slightly less usable in length, would that be comfortable enough for me being 78" tall? I'll be doing a lot of solo travel and I'm sure it'll be fine then but when the wife comes along, I can see it being really tight fitting.

My other consideration has been one of the James Baroud's in an XXL size but then it appears from my research so far, the Alucab shadow awning is a no go because of the width on a JKU roof. But maybe that is only an issue if its all mounted to the rhino rack system? I think the mounting brackets required for the awning on the rhino rack platform would interfere with the JB tent because of the extra width but maybe with a different rack it would work?

I am also completely open to other suggestions in terms of tents and roof racks but I'm pretty fixated on the awning honestly.

Any suggestions?

Yuke

Adventurer
A hard shell is a big problem for a tall guy, I am 6’4 myself.

Any thoughts on an Ursa Minor J30?

Check out the Darche eclipse 270 awning, more coverage and less expensive. Still self supporting

HiPERnx

I'm 206cm (6'9") tall, i'm putting in a order for a Autohome Maggiolina in a few weeks. The small (120cm) and medium (140cm? Not sure) widths models are available in a extra long version, 220cm. Looked at the Autohome Columbus model (have extra length options also), but because the angle of the roof i'm afraid i'll loose to much space. I looked at the XXL from James Baroud but it's too wide for my vehicle and will look weird.
Edit; All measurements are internal!
Edit2; Spelling

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I had a similar setup on a 2-door JK (except for the height issue...I'm six foot). You might want to consider using a Front Runner Slimline II rack and the Alu-Cab Shadow Awning. A Baroud XXL will mount on it as well but will be 10 inches wider. I found the best way to mount my Baroud was to use two cross-bars on the Slimline (to raise the tent up about 1 1/8 inches).

If you want to see some pics of what I did to mount the Baroud let me know. Here is a link to my 2-door JK build thread. If you skip towards the end you will get some details about the rack, awning, and RTT.

Jeep build

As I mentioned, the Baroud XXL will be 64.5 inches wide. The RTT in my thread is 55 inches wide. Hopefully this will give you sense of scale. The awning will be a better fit on your rig due to your longer roof but you would need to either offset the XXL RTT to compensate for the awning or have custom brackets made for the awning to drop it (below the RTT...which would allow you to center the RTT).

Whatever you do, get the Shadow Awning. It is killer!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
And...Autohome makes a small Columbus XL. It's much narrower at 51 X 91. Maybe that would be a better choice. The Front Runner brackets for the Shadow Awning would work just fine the way they are. The Columbus medium XL is 57 inches wide. Might be a better fit for the rack...but a bit tight (and still might need to be offset a little bit).

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The Alu-Cab Gen III inside length although advertised at 2100mm measures at 84" and at the lowest point up front is 9" tall when opened. As far as longevity and durability the Expedition III is unmatched, I currently have a JB / Shadow Awn on my JKU but my next setup will be an Alu-Cab without a doubt.

The Rhino Rack Backbone is a good base for the Expedition III and can be used without a platform but rather three load bars for a lower profile, cost savings and weight savings of 50-70 lbs. Hope this helps!

dY9Ly62.jpg

HiPERnx

The Alu-Cab Gen III inside length although advertised at 2100mm measures at 84" and at the lowest point up front is 9" tall when opened. As far as longevity and durability the Expedition III is unmatched, I currently have a JB / Shadow Awn on my JKU but my next setup will be an Alu-Cab without a doubt.

The Rhino Rack Backbone is a good base for the Expedition III and can be used without a platform but rather three load bars for a lower profile, cost savings and weight savings of 50-70 lbs. Hope this helps!

dY9Ly62.jpg
I wish i would fit in a AluCab, they look amazing!
But then, Autohome has been around for a very long time and they do know what they are doing.

NORDNDED

A hard shell is a big problem for a tall guy, I am 6’4 myself.

Any thoughts on an Ursa Minor J30?

Check out the Darche eclipse 270 awning, more coverage and less expensive. Still self supporting

I have considered the J30 but I dont really want to do the interior mods on the JK to make it into its full potential. Plus, I’m most likely swapping it all over to a gladiator next year. My daughter will be getting the JK when she turns 16 so I’m definitely getting something else but it won’t be another JK.

NORDNDED

I'm 206cm (6'9") tall, i'm putting in a order for a Autohome Maggiolina in a few weeks. The small (120cm) and medium (140cm? Not sure) widths models are available in a extra long version, 220cm. Looked at the Autohome Columbus model (have extra length options also), but because the angle of the roof i'm afraid i'll loose to much space. I looked at the XXL from James Baroud but it's too wide for my vehicle and will look weird.
Edit; All measurements are internal!
Edit2; Spelling

The maggiolina had me excited briefly but the XL models are apparently only available in white and my Jeep is mostly blacked out. Color is not as important as fitting me and durability over the long haul but still...

10a2a01f2de5804cf603192ba5933129.jpg

NORDNDED

dY9Ly62.jpg

Being 84” just about seals the deal for me... How much narrower is it in the front vs the rear?

I also forgot about not needing the platform if I go with the Alucab tent since the awning will mount to it but Im assuming that if I go with any other tent, I will need to use the platform to mount the shadow awning?

Maybe a trip to NJ is in order...

HiPERnx

The maggiolina had me excited briefly but the XL models are apparently only available in white and my Jeep is mostly blacked out. Color is not as important as fitting me and durability over the long haul but still...

10a2a01f2de5804cf603192ba5933129.jpg
I'm considering bed lining mine with Line-X (as big parts of my Jeep is already painted with Line-X). Don't know it works with warranty and painting it, so i will not paint it this summer, want to give it a proper shake down before i (potentially) void the warranty.

NORDNDED

I'm considering bed lining mine with Line-X (as big parts of my Jeep is already painted with Line-X). Don't know it works with warranty and painting it, so i will not paint it this summer, want to give it a proper shake down before i (potentially) void the warranty.

That was my exact thought also as I have way too much experience with raptor liner having helped my son spray his whole sprinter van with it. Awesome product too.. But, its not something I’d prefer to have to do. I’d probably just deal with it being white if I go that route.

NORDNDED

"Wrap" the white top to any color you want.

Haha, I was logged in under another screen name via tapatalk on my phone when I made the reply that you caught. I deleted it though as Im no longer part of the business it was associated with.

Anyhow, your idea is an option Im considering.

Ultimately, I really want to see an alucab in person before making a decision. I’ll either make the trip to OK4wd or wait until Expo west to see a bunch of tents first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78