Which tent for frequent use by tall people? Alucab, JB?

towee

I'm 5'9" and I love my Alu Cab wouldn't own any other rtt but do not buy any clamshell style tent without trying it out first at 6'6". The overall dimensions of the mattress doesn't tell the whole story you need to throw a couple pillows up there flip and flop around and see if it will actually work for you my guess is it won't but I could be wrong.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Being 84” just about seals the deal for me... How much narrower is it in the front vs the rear?

I also forgot about not needing the platform if I go with the Alucab tent since the awning will mount to it but Im assuming that if I go with any other tent, I will need to use the platform to mount the shadow awning?

Maybe a trip to NJ is in order...

The front is 46" and the rear 51" inside.

Exactly, the awning can attach right to the EXP III versus needing a platform rack.

It is a dangerous place to visit with a JKU ;)

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Wow, if you can get a support system without a rack (bars only) and the Alu Cab tent is only 170 lbs....and the awning will mount right to it....

Then that might be one of the lightest setups you can put on the roof with that awning. Cool.

Another tip from experience. My Baroud is 79 inches long and I'm six-foot. But I need to stretch out with my feet flat and my arms over my head to sleep and that winds up being 6'6" to be comfortable. So, I need to sleep in it diagonally to fit. It's just BARELY big enough.

If the Alucab is 84 long I would think you would fit. Sleeping diagonally is always an option for a few more inches too (if you are alone).

Let us know how it works out.

alexplb

Why not AT Habitat line? Seems like it has much better overall room for taller folk... Unless you're specifically looking for a tent and not a camper set up

Wow, if you can get a support system without a rack (bars only) and the Alu Cab tent is only 170 lbs....and the awning will mount right to it....

Then that might be one of the lightest setups you can put on the roof with that awning. Cool.

Another tip from experience. My Baroud is 79 inches long and I'm six-foot. But I need to stretch out with my feet flat and my arms over my head to sleep and that winds up being 6'6" to be comfortable. So, I need to sleep in it diagonally to fit. It's just BARELY big enough.

If the Alucab is 84 long I would think you would fit. Sleeping diagonally is always an option for a few more inches too (if you are alone).

Let us know how it works out.

Who told you 170 lbs?
Trust me brother, there ain't 80 lb/s of cardboard there.

Attachments

• IMG_8814.JPG
    IMG_8814.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Who told you 170 lbs?
Trust me brother, there ain't 80 lb/s of cardboard there.

I found it here. But, I don't know much about the Alucab tents. Might be a different model or something. If a standard size Baroud in fiberglass is listed at 160 lbs. (I have never actually weighted mine)...it does sound awfully suspicious that a full aluminum chassis adds only 10 lbs.

NORDNDED

Why not AT Habitat line? Seems like it has much better overall room for taller folk... Unless you're specifically looking for a tent and not a camper set up

Honestly, something like it or the J30 would be ideal but I don’t plan to keep the JK but for another year or so.

NORDNDED

So I think that I’ve decided to hold off until Expo West this May to see and hopefully climb into several different tents. The AluCab is at the top of my list but I really need to see if it’ll fit not only myself but my wife along side me. The aluminum shell, although maybe heavier than advertised, is ideal to me being that the awning can mount directly to it and that it is less prone to trail damage than a fiberglass shell. In the meanwhile, my good old Tepui tent will suffice I guess..

In case anyone is weight-conscious, here are measurements for the James Baroud standard and XXL sizes. We only have unpacked carboard for the standard size tent but it would be approx. another 10 lbs. more for the boxing of the XXL. For the real weight-sensitive, these packed weights do include a fairly heavy fitted cloth around the tents for shipping protection, which we failed to weigh with the flattened cardboard and other packing materials. I would say it weighs around 5-10 lbs.

XXL Tent in boxing:
IMG_8819.jpg

Standard size tent in boxing:
IMG_8822.jpg

Cardboard and packing materials for standard size tent:
IMG_8823.jpg

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well done AdventureReady. I wish all manufacturers and/or resellers would post the actual weights of the RTTs in question.

alexplb

Not bad 150lbs is what I would have guessed.... The alu shell is most likely closer to 200 lbs or more my guess.

Well done AdventureReady. I wish all manufacturers and/or resellers would post the actual weights of the RTTs in question.
We are getting tired of it too. It seems like things are shifting toward “just selling stuff” and away from honest enthusiasts working together. Anything we can do to help please reach out.

asanto

I'll be right there with you at Expo West sizing up the various options. I'm 6'3 and looking to fit myself and partner in crime, not sure if we'll both fit. I'm also interested in the Alucab because it allows load boards on top and I want to load 12-14 foot SUP boards on top. It's ambitious, but if we can do that and mount our Batwing awning and other equipment to the FrontRunner Slimline II rack and tent, we'd be golden. I'm in a similar situation as you: I'm tall and wide, and I don't want to tow anything, and getting a Sprinter is not in the budget, as much as I want one.

IKamper sounds interesting, but if I can't put things on top it's not as useful. We camp, but also like to bring things with us to play in the water (SUP, Kayaks, ski gear for winter camping in the Tahoe Sierras, etc.)

Maybe I'll see you at Expo West @NORDNDED

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77