Who has done it ?? ??

gr8lite

I am putting some ideas together in my little tiny brain regarding a trailer build ... or prolly conversion to an existing trailer . My requirements will include :

sleep 2 adults and a small dog comfortably
outside kitchen area (under awning)
interchangeability between propane and Coleman stove & lighting
15" wheels , ride height same as Jeep TJ
8' wide by ?? feet long
Able to carry 2 small enduro or scooters
canoe / kayak rack on top
awning adjustablity from both sides to either side and rear

I'm sure there are other ideas but thats the starting point !

Thoughts , Ideas , suggestions ........ Thanks !!

still. thats massively wide. expecially behind a jeep. if the bed is 8 feet wide then the overall will be 10.

you are semi truck size here. even car hauler decks aren't even 7 feet wide.

why not do something realistic like 5x8 or like this 5x10

Waygoner

Observer
I just bought a 5x8 trailer for hauling dirt bikes, etc. - similar to the one Oscar posted. Someday I plan to build a slide in camper, something like a truck bed camper that will allow me to haul 2 dirt bikes or one ATV and camp inside when unloaded. Camper jacks would allow me to pull the shell off so I could use it as a utility trailer when needed. I would keep the rear deck for loading and add a wide back door to the camper shell. Currently thinking about drop down double bed that would extend over the tongue, like a pop-up camper. A drop down bench on one side over the wheel for seating and maybe a table on the opposite side.

this is 73.5 inches wide or 6.1 feet.
you want to do something 2 feet wider than this? behind a TJ? asinine is the only word that comes to mind.

good luck.

fj-trailer-lr.jpg

croix

Observer
8' width is not unheard of - modern rv's are 8.5" wide. Still... behind a TJ is questionable. A trailer of that width would need to be pretty long to maintain forward/aft stability and will probably be very heavy for the TJ. Why the need to make it 8' wide?
-Croix

gr8lite

So Oscar and Croix ...asinine.. stability concerns .... Really. I guess us Men up north where I live are ALL asinine!

I tow an 8' wide snowmobile trailer with my TJ all winter long , before that with a Xj , and before that a CJ , an early Bronco! Oh yea that's WITH 2 snowmobiles on it! I know guys that tow a 102" wide with their TJ's . My TJ : 4.0 , NV3550 , Dana 44 hauls a trailer just fine!
The reasoning for 8' wide was the plan to have a bike on either side of the centered sleeping box. Rather than load the tongue with bikes at the front. Or unload the tongue with bikes at the rear blocking the kitchen setup.

IM1RU

Observer
I will say you'll never be able to many trails in my neck of the woods with a trailer that wide behind you. I am of course assuming you'd want to. It sounds like a cool concept. Map it out full size, and see if it works. It's your rig, make it what you want.

I'm not sure about the northeast, but here in the west, even many of the national forest service roads are not 8' wide.

My 4 1/2 foot wide (bed), 6 1/2 wide total teardrop just barely fits between the trees.

Maybe you are. You said it not me. And when I lived in Alaska and Montana we pulled our sled trailers with trucks. They were light with very little wind resistance. Go ahead and build whatever you want. I'm unsubscribing from this disaster. Maybe instead of being a petulant teen when you ask for ideas and don't get what you want try countering with logic and reason instead of angst and hostility.

Last edited:

Xbcasey

Adventurer
I say go for it, you said that you won't be running trails with it, just dirt roads to get to camp and if that's the case, you shouldn't have any problems. Most all car trailers, campers, snowmobile trailers and semi's are 8'6" wide and make it up and down the road just fine every day, just keep you jeep in the middle! I think most people would be surprised if they put a tape measure on the ground and saw just how wide a road really is

croix

Observer
So Oscar and Croix ...asinine.. stability concerns .... Really. I guess us Men up north where I live are ALL asinine!

I tow an 8' wide snowmobile trailer with my TJ all winter long , before that with a Xj , and before that a CJ , an early Bronco! Oh yea that's WITH 2 snowmobiles on it! I know guys that tow a 102" wide with their TJ's . My TJ : 4.0 , NV3550 , Dana 44 hauls a trailer just fine!
The reasoning for 8' wide was the plan to have a bike on either side of the centered sleeping box. Rather than load the tongue with bikes at the front. Or unload the tongue with bikes at the rear blocking the kitchen setup.

I made no claim that it couldn't be done... only that there would be concerns. I was just trying to get a better understanding of what your requirements were... but it sounds like you "Men up north" have it all figured out. Good luck.
-croix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3