Who has removed their backseats in a crew cab?

fiddypal

Adventurer
I have a silverado 1500 that I just did this mod to. Uploading pics now. I used hog panel from tractor supply to build a custom crate. Cheapest and best option imo, you need a grinder and vice grips to work with it, but it's indestructible. Getting my Dometic fridge this week which will go next to crate across the back wall.

fiddypal

Adventurer
WPGGZvu.jpg

ztAZnGx.jpg

Te19eMb.jpg

vzbb3iw.jpg

9ON7IHE.jpg

GBNQl4R.jpg

ISQs1wB.jpg

zDaBT8p.jpg

kUCmDcX.jpg

Ec2zQMw.jpg

Some details around my setup.

1/2" (i think) plywood floor, which bolts down to 3 large bolts in the back for the factory seat mounts. Used 2x4's to support the middle and front and some extra cuts of plywood.

The carpet is cheapo outdoor stuff from home depot and is stapled down so i can easily cut a new piece and replace when it gets destroyed by the dog. I also cut a piece of wood and carpeted it for the rear wall, which will soon be bolted to some custom 3d printed brackets that wrap around some factory hooks on the back wall which held the factory seat in place. Back wall is also mounted to the floor with some L brackets, and i placed a few on the floor itself to serve as a backstop for when the wall is perfectly level up and down.

The dog crate was initially 2x3 with no roof, but this was tight for my dog and only good for short trips. I am planning for a cross country trip which will take 3 weeks and he will need to be able to lay down and get comfortable, right now i think its 3x3, and i have a roof cut for it as well, and finishing up the door just need to weld and grind some sharp edges down.

You can get the hog panel pretty cheap at tractor supply, its 25$ for a 16 foot piece (bend them in a U shape to fit in your pickup bed). Then use a grinder to cut panels for however big of a cage you want. The hog panels are tall enough for my dog to sit down and not have hit head hit the cage, but it's close. He's a 90lb Gshep so unless you have a bigger dog this will work fine. There are other types of similar panel there you can choose from which is taller if you have a bigger dog.

Crate is held down with some 3d printed brackets.

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
A friend of mine completely removed the rear seat on his Hilux in order to fit his 12V inside and his dog's kennel.

A cousin, who also owns a Hilux, simply made a plywood platform that fits when the rear seat is stowed, it give a nice flat platform for both his dogs. Its give them much more flat real estate than simply pulling the seat out.

Ozarker

While my back seats fold down in the F-150 I'm having too much wasted space so I'm planning on taking it out. Platform with top loading doors for the floor storage. Might put locks on them for guns and ammo. Dog and ice chest (maybe a fridge) and backpacks along with highway snacks, may need a kennel to keep my dog out of the food which is usually in the front, gets crowded.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I removed the rear seat on my crewcab, mounted my house batteries there, and built a storage box for food and gear. I wanted the house batteries and solar panel to stay on the truck when I changed from my pop-up to a shell or open bed.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I removed mine on our F550 crew cab, it's just my wife and I traveling full time with a truck camper and I wanted as much storage space as possible.

Our extra ARB fridge is in there, a bunch of pelican cases, all kinds of stacking boxes - it's packed.

On the rear firewall I put a layer of Ice 'n Water shield for sound insulation since removing the seat markedly increased the road noise in the cab. Then I bolted on a piece of ¼" plywood to cover it and bolted a battery selector, a rig runner 12V distribution panel, and a first aid kit to the plywood. May add a subwoofer and amp and some more bolted on stuff to that rear firewall shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad