Who tows with a diesel Colorado ?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Holy crap. That's a good deal! Even I might've been tempted at that price, and I'm not a diesel guy.
_
BTW, what's the payload rating on your truck?

Oh, my bad, I meant to write that in that line of thought about the Eco Diesel, it is 1,500lb. Not huge, but useable.

p nut

butter
...Need to stop looking at new trucks, decided to sell off the old dirt bike and get a new one, prioirites! Probably going to drive myself insane deciding what to get...Beta, KTM, Husky...2 or 4 stroke??? Of course all of my moto buddies are already telling me how to spend my money. :D

No kidding. I've got too many bike projects I want to get off the ground, which was stymied by the new truck purchase a year ago. Bike funds are back in black now, though. :D

p nut

butter
Oh, my bad, I meant to write that in that line of thought about the Eco Diesel, it is 1,500lb. Not huge, but useable.

Yup, for what you're doing, that shouldn't be an issue. If you end up towing your trailer, though, you'll probably have to watch it.
_
I got the smaller ecoboost engine (2.7L) and payload is 1,500. Didn't realize that the 3.5L ecoboost are all near 2,000. It still does what I need it to, but I just need to pay close attention to all the crap I throw in, if I'm hauling a trailer.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The other thought I wanted to put in there was about interior space. I feel that is is a bit roomier in the front than the Tacoma but compared to my first gen, acess cab Tundra, its not that big. Even thought he Tundra was very similar in exterior size, it felt alot bigger inside than this. Most modern vehicles bother me with how bad the visibility out is, and the Colorado isn't too bad, but compared to my 80 or old D1 Rover, it isn't that great. Chalk one up for added safety. I am 6' and with the driver's seat set for me, I can sit behind myself with just enought knee room. Head room in the back seat is a bit compromised by the sloping roof but not an issue.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Yup, for what you're doing, that shouldn't be an issue. If you end up towing your trailer, though, you'll probably have to watch it.
_
I got the smaller ecoboost engine (2.7L) and payload is 1,500. Didn't realize that the 3.5L ecoboost are all near 2,000. It still does what I need it to, but I just need to pay close attention to all the crap I throw in, if I'm hauling a trailer.

Yeah, for sure. The bed of the truck would just be for mountain bikes and the kids are 1 and 3 so they don't add much weight, the tongue weight of the trailer isn't too bad and with the weight distribution it should be fine I feel. I will give a full report though once I put it all to practice. Numbers and theories don't mean anything compared to how it all actually works.

Clutch

<---Pass
No kidding. I've got too many bike projects I want to get off the ground, which was stymied by the new truck purchase a year ago. Bike funds are back in black now, though. :D

Even my mountain bike days...the bikes were always worth more than the truck hauling them...no different it seems with the dirt bike hobby. :D

Swung by the dealer, thinking the Beta 300RR Race is it...

300RR-Race-LR.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Seems like even my mountain bike days...the bikes were always worth more than the truck hauling them...no different it seems with the dirt bike hobby. :D

Swung by the dealer, thinking the Beta 300RR Race is it...

View attachment 387836

We have been talking about getting dirtbikes again. It played into us going with an open bed truck. My wife sold her WR450F before we left Jackson, WY. I used to race when I was younger but haven't ridden in years. We joke about how a lot of our friends' mtb's cost more than the dirt bikes we want. We have endless riding out our back door which is pretty cool. There is s ton of moto specific singletrack nearby (where they host the Loose Moose enduro nationals) and we think it would be fun to ride with the whole fam in a few years. I grew up on dirt bikes and they were my obsession growing up. Funny that mountain biking can be more expensive.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Upcruiser great feed back. Funny I have an OB our second Subaru since 01. Ours is the giant rear seat 2010. We moved from the old subaru for the big rear seat. Two kids also. I'm really considering the Diesel Canyon as a Subaru replacement. Our camping rig by design is set up for the Subaru. But the added capability and load rating makes the Canyon attractive. Its width is nearly identical to the gen 4/5 ob. For sure easier daily driver especially around here with our Prius sized parking spots.

The LB would be my choice also. So my 29er err kids bikes could sit in the back under a cap ;-)

I look forward to your follow up report. I have a 05 Sequoia we never use. Wifes daily driver is a 16 Fusion energi Titanium. Super nice ride 70mpg winter 80-82mpg summer. Already has 30k on the clock bought it sept 16. LoL

I just need to show the wife we dont need a 5+ seat rig to haul everyone elses kids. I'm no bus driver!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We have been talking about getting dirtbikes again. It played into us going with an open bed truck. My wife sold her WR450F before we left Jackson, WY. I used to race when I was younger but haven't ridden in years. We joke about how a lot of our friends' mtb's cost more than the dirt bikes we want. We have endless riding out our back door which is pretty cool. There is s ton of moto specific singletrack nearby (where they host the Loose Moose enduro nationals) and we think it would be fun to ride with the whole fam in a few years. I grew up on dirt bikes and they were my obsession growing up. Funny that mountain biking can be more expensive.

It did get rediculous. I finally upgraded my 1991 GT hard tail fixed fork MT. And yes it was ridden. In HS it got me out to work 3-5 days a week for 4 yrs 4 mile each way. In college it averaged 50 miles or more a week doing school transport and MT rides. It saw its 2nd rebuild at that point. After college 100s of MT bike rides and trips with friends who teased me. 3rd rebuild when my Daughter was born the family schlep mule bike. I bought a new fancy GT 29er with a fancy lockout air shock and fancy disk brakes. $1500. I'll probably ride it till I'm 80. My 75 yr old dad does 12-17 miles 4 days a week!! Hes currently kicking my *** on mileage.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I was reading Car & Driver this morning at the doctor's office and they gave 5 thumbs up to the Colorado.
It was a V-6 auto 4x4 and they were very pleased,favoring it overall to the Taco. I think GM's got as winner.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It did get rediculous. I finally upgraded my 1991 GT hard tail fixed fork MT. And yes it was ridden. In HS it got me out to work 3-5 days a week for 4 yrs 4 mile each way. In college it averaged 50 miles or more a week doing school transport and MT rides. It saw its 2nd rebuild at that point. After college 100s of MT bike rides and trips with friends who teased me. 3rd rebuild when my Daughter was born the family schlep mule bike. I bought a new fancy GT 29er with a fancy lockout air shock and fancy disk brakes. $1500. I'll probably ride it till I'm 80. My 75 yr old dad does 12-17 miles 4 days a week!! Hes currently kicking my *** on mileage.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I lock out my front rock shox air shock but it still travels?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I found if the shock pressure is low vs your weight it will do this. The general rule is psi similar to your weight. They do need to be topped up occasionally just like the tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven