Why aren't popup's more popular?

XTorrey

Observer
We spent a lot of time considering our options, and while I initially wanted to restore an old PUP, my husband was against the idea because of the width and the jarring on rough trails. We usually base camp in Moab, but once it gets hot and we head into the mountains we have a tendency to do more "stop when it gets dark" back country camping. As much as I'd love a vintage PUP, he makes excellent points and I just can't see compromising on a campground when there's so many amazing remote places to camp. We're restoring a vintage trailer instead and adding a RTT with one of AT's nice heaters for the chilly nights.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

jatibb

Adventurer
the only thing that concerns me, since im modifying one myself is cold weather, with the plastic windows. raising and lowering in the cold...what do y'all do? i was thinking of putting a buddy heater in for a few before openng and then getting really warm before closing in the cold but ???? anyone who has owned a convertible car knows what im talking about.......

jatibb

Adventurer
thanks......that helps. planning? not that cold, just dont wanna crack the plastic windows the first season of use

fast_suv

Adventurer
pop up

I am a huge fan of pop ups.. gone from a 82 Coleman Brandywine ltd ... more of a park model... Huge..

I wanted a more Off Road able pop up on a budget so i went to a Palomino yearling 1401 with a 3" lift...
IMAG1155.jpg

no i was lucky enough to stumble on this gem....
20140818_181502.jpg
20140816_191928.jpg

Rough out products trailer... i guess they were out of Idaho and only around for a few months... only ever found mine and a video of one other one online...

fast_suv

Adventurer
That rough out looks awesome

Thanks, I love it... took it up into the GWNF last weekend....
I am trying to get a trailer builder here local to try to build one like it.. There is not a ton of money or over engendering to it.... I told him i bet they would sell if he priced them competitively enough...

I really wanted to build up a M416 trailer with a RTT but with a 6 year old girl and the girlfriend the pop up is much nicer.

A big plus for pop ups in my opinion is that you can pack it all up a day or two in advance and just hook up and go after work on a Friday... and when you get home you can take you time unpacking over the week... helps get a few extra weekend trips in...

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I would agree and with 2 kids myself, the popup would be a lot better. GWNF is a perfect place for a trailer like that. I bet it was good time. I would love to get back down there myself.

trae

Adventurer
My only issue with a tent trailer (after owning one for a season) is the length of the setup. It's roughly 90 minutes from parking to done, and vice versa. It's definitely more of a basecamp type setup.

dnellans

Adventurer
That was one thing that was a selling point for me about the Jumping Jack. Because its really just a super basic canvas tent on wheels it only takes me about 15 minutes to setup. Sure they claim its "up" in 1 minute, but by the time you get the beds in place and **** like that its really more like 10-15 minutes. About the same as finding a spot for our previous massive tent, clearing any sticks/debris and finally getting it set up. Modern pop-ups, with all the niceties are also more complex and there is more to ******** around with indefinitely to get right. The JJ was a nice in between for us.

fast_suv

Adventurer
I would agree and with 2 kids myself, the popup would be a lot better. GWNF is a perfect place for a trailer like that. I bet it was good time. I would love to get back down there myself.

Yeah, for me alone or with the dog, Tent camping is do-able... but with you toss kids in there it is nice to have a place to lock them in and each have your own space...

Set up on the pop ups once you get it down is just as fast if not faster too... im donw to about 7min from down to up ... (give or take...)

We ran into a little confusion/trouble on Flagpole camping... I would do your own research before going. We were told by a ranger that no vehicle camping was permitted... however not one person that i have spoken with can verify his statement.. We are still awaiting clarity...

libarata

Expedition Leader
PUPs are not popular, because they are not fancy, and just about everyone grew up in or around one.

Canvas will only rot, if you let it. Clean it at the end of the season, re-apply waterproofing, pack it up correctly. For keeping warm in the winter, look into soapstones, and take quality quilts. We kept two well anchored candles going at night, with homemade quilts into the -20's quite a few times back home(Wisconsin, and Minnesota) in a PUP.

As for them not being rugged? What, are you scaling cliff faces with them? Slow down, and remember they are not purpose built to crawl.

java

Expedition Leader
The wet canvas problem exists wiht RTT's too.

Its that time of the year here in the PNW, and its a pain to try to get the tent dry sometimes, I dont have anywhere dry and warm to park my truck and open the tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman