Why aren't popup's more popular?

trae

Adventurer
I'm loving the idea of a PUP. Do any of you guys camp in the winter time when the weather is wet and cold? How do you deal with putting the PUP away with the canvas wet?

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I had a starcraft 12 rt and it worked very well for what it was used for. We would load a quad on the front platform and use it as base camp on hunting,camping and fishing trips. They are pretty durable.

dnellans

Adventurer
love the pics of the base rockwood 1640. just like the pop-up i grew up in and appropriate cost. this is the pop up equiv of the jumping jack i went with eventually, basic, fairly cheap, and hopefully lots of kid smiles for mine as well over the coming years!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I'm loving the idea of a PUP. Do any of you guys camp in the winter time when the weather is wet and cold? How do you deal with putting the PUP away with the canvas wet?

We have packed it away wet and set it back up when we got home several times. It does take paying attention to. My wife is fanatic about mold and mildew, so she will spend time once it is dry wiping the spots that have shown themselves to be prone to mildew... Same thing when we used a tent and I assume with an RTT.
As for cold, we have been out in sub freezing temps and it is cold, but then it is camping. When I say cold understand I am in North Carolina... so certainly not what some of you have to deal with.

John

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The great thing about modern Tent Trailers or Pop-Ups is that they are not made out of Canvas anymore. They are made out of a heavy duty UV stable vinyl. Our Coachman Clipper is very similar to the Rockwood (if I recall, they are made int he same factory), and the vinyl is reported to be 22 years UV stable in direct sunlight. The other nice thing, they are not "mold friendly". We try to let the trailer dry before ever putting it away, but it has had to be closed up for a few weeks, never have any mold issues at all. A wipe and it is good to go. They also clean up nicely with dish soap and warm water.

The other thing I like about the vinyl, it is fleece lined on the inside. This acts as sudo insulation, but more importantly it stops condensation and is again, not mold friendly. Kool little trailer, we looked at a Rockwood exactly like that one, but my wife said it was too small? My XJ can tow the Coachman all day long, so we opted for the larger setup.

Good thread.

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
Before I found my conqueror conquest, bob and I were kicking around the idea of building a narrow military frame A liner. The cost was just too high.

trae

Adventurer
The great thing about modern Tent Trailers or Pop-Ups is that they are not made out of Canvas anymore. They are made out of a heavy duty UV stable vinyl. Our Coachman Clipper is very similar to the Rockwood (if I recall, they are made int he same factory), and the vinyl is reported to be 22 years UV stable in direct sunlight. The other nice thing, they are not "mold friendly". We try to let the trailer dry before ever putting it away, but it has had to be closed up for a few weeks, never have any mold issues at all. A wipe and it is good to go. They also clean up nicely with dish soap and warm water.

The other thing I like about the vinyl, it is fleece lined on the inside. This acts as sudo insulation, but more importantly it stops condensation and is again, not mold friendly. Kool little trailer, we looked at a Rockwood exactly like that one, but my wife said it was too small? My XJ can tow the Coachman all day long, so we opted for the larger setup.

Good thread.

GregB_00XJ, have you had any experiences where you simply close up the trailer at the end of the camping trip without letting the outside dry completely? I've been looking at trailers for a few months now, but the common wisdom is that you have to let the outside dry after a trip or you'll end up with mold issues.

Thanks

Jeff Dodgen

Explorer
I have put mine up in the rain before and went home only to park it for a few days until the rain stopped. I would then put it up and let it air dry out. My parents have had three PUPS and I am on my 2nd. So far no problems.

trae

Adventurer
I have put mine up in the rain before and went home only to park it for a few days until the rain stopped. I would then put it up and let it air dry out. My parents have had three PUPS and I am on my 2nd. So far no problems.

That's encouraging, thanks Jeff. I'd love to pick one up so that I can camp in the winter, but I was banging my head trying to figure out how to dry the PUP without having a garage..

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I just give the sheepherders pole a good shake to shed as much as possible. The tents on mine don't soak up moisture.
I do try to open it up within a week or so and clean things up. Mold is not an issue here really. High desert climate makes mummys better than mold. :)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
GregB_00XJ, have you had any experiences where you simply close up the trailer at the end of the camping trip without letting the outside dry completely? I've been looking at trailers for a few months now, but the common wisdom is that you have to let the outside dry after a trip or you'll end up with mold issues.

Thanks

Usually if it is wet or raining when we pack up to leave, I drag it home wet, and then simply put it up again once home. It is vinyl, so once it stops raining, it doesn't take long for it to be completely dry. in 5 years, no mold or smell...still smells new inside. As stated, the vinyl is tested to last MANY years in direct sunlight, so it is ok to leave them up for longer periods of time. They simply wipe clean.

The old canvas... mold was a big problem. Bad smells and black spots.

STREGA

Explorer
Pop ups are a good choice for many people, especially those who do not have a lot of $$$ to spend on a camp trailer. They are great for first timers, young families that need alot of cheap tent space or someone who may only get out once a year, but after using them for awhile most will find that there has to be a better way to camp.

I had a Rockwood in the early 90's that I just never really liked all that much. It just took to much time to set up and take down, wasn't all that well built but the thing that made me sell it was being in high winds once. We were camped at the Natural Bridges NP and the wind kicked up badly, even though we were nestled in fairly tall oak brush/vegetation I did not think we would last through the night with the top of the tent intact. Some how we did but there was no sleeping that night either. For most the wind is probably not a issue but if you camp in places where the wind can be harsh then you might want to rethink a pop up.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Once I get mine back from storage this spring, I am adding bracing, skid plating, painting, aromoring the front and sides, adding a roof top carrier, a lift and good tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman