Why no SAS on "expo" type trucks???

Speaking of Good points.... You owe us updated pics of the Hilux and Farm Truck. :)

Hmmm, you're right.

I have been busting my hump trying to get the Farm Truck done. The bed is nearly done, but I had to make some changes as per customer request. We needed a space to mount a small engine and fertilizer pump UNDER the bed and the result is pretty shocking. I'm hoping to be done with it completely by next week. Then it's back on the BJ74. The Hilux is going to have to wait, probably until summer. I have been booking jobs like crazy. You want to help?

(former 1st Gen 4Runner owner here) it's hard to beat the out of the box off road capability of a solid front axle vehicle. IFS vehicles will have most of the off-road capability (someone said 90%, I was thinking 80% but yep - right in there) and they have improved on-road ride, electric lock hubs so you can drink your coffee and lock up at the same time, improved center ground clearance at least in the front. This is stock-for-stock comparison, not getting into long travel IFS here.

As far as an expo vehicle and converting to straight axle - I'd say it's cost and intended use. If you'll be rock crawling with your expo vehicle, it would be worth it. Otherwise, I'd spend the money on a Fridge and recovery gear.

ps. I miss my 4Runner until I step on the gas when towing up a hill.

4Runner.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I love ya like a long lost cousin, but I call BS on this.

Ha ha!

Ran that 4Runner up to 225K miles...rebuilt the axles twice in that time. (still not bad)

Tacoma, put in fresh CV's at 250K....everything else was good, replaced everything "just because" it had so many miles on it.

...and the SAS vs IFS saga continues!

oooh...it is like everything else, we all have different experiences...wants and needs out of vehicle. (That new Ridgeline is looking good to me....IFS annnnnd IRS!!! gasp!!! :D )

I think you all should quit worrying about which is better, and go buy a dirt bike. ;) Neither SAS or IFS can touch where you can stick a bike. :elkgrin:

I was playing in the rocks a couple weeks ago.

12631424_10153944917644630_1997066151186056220_n.jpg
12553018_10153944917724630_3331678892725187068_n.jpg

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Hmmm, you're right.

I have been busting my hump trying to get the Farm Truck done. The bed is nearly done, but I had to make some changes as per customer request. We needed a space to mount a small engine and fertilizer pump UNDER the bed and the result is pretty shocking. I'm hoping to be done with it completely by next week. Then it's back on the BJ74. The Hilux is going to have to wait, probably until summer. I have been booking jobs like crazy. You want to help?

I might have a few weeks off this month... happy to help! :)

bkg

Explorer
Ha ha!I think you all should quit worrying about which is better, and go buy a dirt bike. ;) Neither SAS or IFS can touch where you can stick a bike. :elkgrin:

Tempting... Raced MX for 11 years and really miss riding... but... my bad back, arthritis and plated bones wouldn't appreciate it. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Tempting... Raced MX for 11 years and really miss riding... but... my bad back, arthritis and plated bones wouldn't appreciate it. :)

Oh I hear ya, I have a herniated disc in my L5..(among other lingering injuries) Riding is the only thing where I am in a lot of pain...and it still puts a smile on my face, I just don't get the same feeling in a cage.

I am so over the this vs that thing with vehicles...not even sure why I post in these threads. I missed darn near all of last year riding because of my back...now that it is getting somewhat better, just happy to be back out there. Never know what you have until it is gone...there were a couple months, thought I was going to be put in a wheelchair.

IFS vs SAS, gas vs diesel, truck vs SUV....meh who cares...just get out while you still can. Speaking of...gotta get back to prepping the bike for tomorrow's ride, needs a trans oil change.

p nut

butter
IFS vs SAS, gas vs diesel, truck vs SUV....meh who cares...

Waaaay too much overthinking. I was guilty of this few years ago as well. Now I am a little less dumber and enjoy heading out more than stressing that my truck will implode without a bumper, snorkel and a fridge.

I don't ride MX, but I'm looking at picking up a Razr or Rhino (IFS/IRS!!! And gas!), now that I have something to pull a trailer with again.

donaldcon

Adventurer
I've had many differant types of builds.

I like a good solid axle for crazy rock crawling.

But independent is much better texhnology, and realistically some independent setups are stout.

Biggest issue with independent is the cost associated with tire size. It is alot easier to fabricate control arms for a properly done 4 link than it is to build custom.long travel stuff for an ifs.

Solely my opinion but solid axles are the way of the past. Look how many 4wheel independent rigs run king of the hammers.

I think generally speaking over landing isn't about taking the hardest trail.you can find so not really much need for huge tires and crazy flex.

But I'm new to the overland game coming from more extreme riding background so I may be talking out of my ********.

bkg

Explorer
Oh I hear ya, I have a herniated disc in my L5..(among other lingering injuries) Riding is the only thing where I am in a lot of pain...and it still puts a smile on my face, I just don't get the same feeling in a cage.

I am so over the this vs that thing with vehicles...not even sure why I post in these threads. I missed darn near all of last year riding because of my back...now that it is getting somewhat better, just happy to be back out there. Never know what you have until it is gone...there were a couple months, thought I was going to be put in a wheelchair.

IFS vs SAS, gas vs diesel, truck vs SUV....meh who cares...just get out while you still can. Speaking of...gotta get back to prepping the bike for tomorrow's ride, needs a trans oil change.

c-channel is where's it at. :p

Dalko43

Explorer

Oh, I think we all know why you post in these threads....

I've had many differant types of builds.

I like a good solid axle for crazy rock crawling.

But independent is much better texhnology, and realistically some independent setups are stout.

Biggest issue with independent is the cost associated with tire size. It is alot easier to fabricate control arms for a properly done 4 link than it is to build custom.long travel stuff for an ifs.

Solely my opinion but solid axles are the way of the past. Look how many 4wheel independent rigs run king of the hammers.

I think generally speaking over landing isn't about taking the hardest trail.you can find so not really much need for huge tires and crazy flex.

But I'm new to the overland game coming from more extreme riding background so I may be talking out of my ********.

I've put my own IFS rig (stock 2011 4runner) through its paces on quite a few rugged trails and tracks (believe it or not there are some in NY if you know where to look). The IFS works. There certainly is nothing wrong with it. It's gotten me over some pretty rough terrain (some of which I probably had no business going over as a stock vehicle). That said, I know a solid axle would have handled the terrain a bit better. As others have said, IFS can handle 80%-90% of the terrain you might encounter; if you want that extra 10%-20% capability you should probably look at a solid axle vehicle.

Also it seems its easier to accommodate extra weight with a solid axle versus IFS. Yeah, I know there are IFS trucks that can handle extra weight (Chevy Silverado 2500, original Hummer). But in general solid axle design seems the better option for throwing all kinds mods/weight on your truck, especially the front end.

Don't know if the King of the Hammers is a valid comparison. That's a race environment where teams prep and likely rebuild their rigs prior to that event...While I'm sure there are commonalities, I'd think those racers have different vehicular priorities, and vastly different budgets, from someone who wants to traverse the Australian outback or go on an African Safari.

That said, I don't at all regret getting a IFS SUV. I spend the overwhelming majority of my driving time on roads and highways, where the IFS makes the ride so much more pleasant. And I'm still more than capable of exploring most of the terrain/trails that I might encounter once I get off the pavement.

With realistic expectations, I think an overlander can easily make either setup work for exploration duties.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Waaaay too much overthinking. I was guilty of this few years ago as well. Now I am a little less dumber and enjoy heading out more than stressing that my truck will implode without a bumper, snorkel and a fridge.

I don't ride MX, but I'm looking at picking up a Razr or Rhino (IFS/IRS!!! And gas!), now that I have something to pull a trailer with again.

No kidding! Waaaay too much over thinking....now-a-days as long as it is paid for, runs, and can tow my moto trailer. It's good!

A lot of my moto-buds are now getting into SideXSides, ready to go right of the box. Great way to get the family outside, and away from the internet & video games! ;)

c-channel is where's it at. :p

Carbon fiber... :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL

Members online