Wildernest converted to camper

So I bit the bullet and finally found a 8 Foot wildernest for my 2002 Silverado Duramax Crewcab 6'6" box. So you wonder is this guy nuts. I think so. Plan is I wanted to the 8 foot for maxim length. The plan is to lift the wildernest about 6-8 inches higher and build it out like a camper. This way I can take it off and on.
Similar to what Louie did see following link (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/3702-Flip-pac-camper-build). The advantage when heading off into the logging roads and hunting, I don't have to worry about a large camper bashing through the bush.

I would love a flip pac but I have been looking for over a 1 year and not found one that is reasonably priced and not sold immediately. I am in the Vancouver BC area.
I found this Wildernest for $250 in San Diego. I purchased it in April sight unseen and now have just picked it up from a trip down there for vacation.

Build will hopefully start in couple months as I am trying to finish my other dream, a 32' x 30' workshop with 12 1/2' ceiling. My wife is amazing letting me build this. Once the shop is done I am allowed to start on my build project, time (work gets in the way) and money permitting.

Attachments

• 20150822_075312.jpg
    20150822_075312.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 68
Time fly's when there are so many balls to juggle and several get dropped. I forgot how long ago I started this thread. I will post some pics of what has been done to date and if anyone is interested in further let me know and I will post more of the build. The following picture is the basic camper down and went for a quick hunting/camping trip with my daughter and nephews. It worked well although now I need to finish the outside and build out the inside.
20151204_143247.jpg

I asked my daughter to take pictures while I was setting up, she took one and not even when it was totally set up. It worked well although cold came through the bottom. My fix will be to glue some 1" pink styrofoam which works as a great insulator, and then my mattress on top of that.
20151205_160042.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a quick peak in the inside. Its actually quite roomy inside. When inside the full height is about 8' tall. I am 6'2" it is great as I can stand and stretch my arms up and barely touch the top. The bed is about 7' long which so my feet and head don't hit either end.
20151201_113407.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
That is a pretty slick way to make the 8 footer work on the short bed. Like the door...I always found fussing with the tailgate and hatch a pain in the butt when I had mine.

forty2

Adventurer
Pretty slick, been toying with the idea of doing something similar with a 6' FlipPac in my 5' truck bed, except with a tapered tail end. Just need to find the right FlipPac and convince my wife it's a good idea...

Clutch

<---Pass
Pretty slick, been toying with the idea of doing something similar with a 6' FlipPac in my 5' truck bed, except with a tapered tail end. Just need to find the right FlipPac and convince my wife it's a good idea...

Ahhh...I like that idea.

forty2

Adventurer
Ahhh...I like that idea.

There's also this:

V4Ujxdah.png

I get a decent price on Cana-Core (similar to Nida-Core) and that's something I could probably whip up pretty quick, but there's also this new offering on the horizon from AT...

I had really hoped to do something this spring, but that's definitely not happening now, got some houses that need building instead. Maybe next year I'll start exploring my options further, until then I'll just keep hijacking threads.

Clutch

<---Pass
There's also this:

V4Ujxdah.png

I get a decent price on Cana-Core (similar to Nida-Core) and that's something I could probably whip up pretty quick,

oooh...like that too.

but there's also this new offering on the horizon from AT...

Yeah, can't wait to see it.

Saw the Alu-Can thread...looks to be just a topper with a RTT, cool...but I want to be able to stand up in it. They do have a camper, but it isn't going to be cheap....I am betting.

until then I'll just keep hijacking threads.

ha ha!

That looks awesome using sketch up, definitely not a skill I have. With Cana-Core that thing would be light. If I had more time to work through it I would probably have used 2" pink foam and glassed it all, but that that would be probably blowing any type of budget out the window.

I started with my flooring, 3/4" plywood sandwiching 2x4's and 2x6's on the flat. After the fact I'm not sure really why, as it made it freakin heavy. I sorta have plans that if of camping or hunting I can take if off the truck and just put it right on the ground.
20151111_152703.jpg

20151111_155847.jpg
I wanted to maximize real estate so as soon as I cleared the wheel wells I stepped it for that extra square footage.
20151111_170416.jpg
This shows the basic frame out. I wanted to get a little more height out of the canopy so I used 2x12 on flat to join the rim around the top of the plywood. This gave me something with meat hanging out to catch the edge of the canopy. Towards the back I just trimmed off the portion of the 2x12 hanging in the inside. I used exterior wood glue, clamped and screwed it all.
20151121_134240.jpg

I then ran one more 2x4 on flat around the top as a wide base to screw the canopy down to.
20151121_140235.jpg

Picture of the lining up of the canopy and the "box".
20151121_140243.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater