Willys Wagon build?

BBCchris

Observer
Is there anyone out there who built a Willys Wagon as an expo rig? I know its not the first or even 20th choice out there for a build..... but somebody has to have done it. I was itching for something to build this winter and it is a toss up between a FC-170 or a Willys Wagon/Truck. I already have a '50 wagon and a '51 truck that needs some love...... so why not do an old school, old iron build! :ylsmoke:

86cj

Explorer
I say great idea...................

Willys Wagon....The first SUV and a great tribute to the American past.............

I offer my vote of encouragement,,, you will need many..................

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Ours burned up in 03. This is 92, before the restoration. I have tons of pictures that I'm working on scanning. It's going slow since I'm scanning other old pics as well.

willys03.jpg

If anyone is considering a classic build, the Willy's Wagon is one of the finest ever built.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I think it would be a great low tech build. When my wife had her old Volvo I loved working on it, so simple. Would you try to stay original?

madizell

Explorer
If you already have one, by all means, build it. Over the past 5 years I have built up an early CJ-5 from a rust bucket with no transmission to a fully functional off roader, and even though it was intended only as a trail toy, it has become my more or less daily driver. Darned thing gets 18mpg from an antique Buick V-6, starts every time, and is weather proof now that it has a canvas top and a good heater.

Build up your old wagon and I doubt you will regret it.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Yes, I think they'd be awesome too, I really really like them alot, but hardly EVER see them around here. I stumbled upon on on Craigslist a few months ago, some surface rust, but solid looking. Chrome bumpers (I believe) were badly eaten up, but the ad stated the floors were all solid and that the thing cranked with a good battery. He stated his dad had it running a year or two earlier, got sick and parked it. It even had a winch on it already. I think they were asking $900 for it.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
that is the only American classic expo rig that could possibly sway me away from the Heep.

That, or a Travelall. Or a 3 door 'burban...

Bishop Creek

motomech said:
I have a 55' willys pick-up.I love em, indestructible!

Build it, Thats my vote!

As a young boy in the '50s, I remember a man in our neighborhood who had a yellow Willys pick-up with gas jerry cans on the side and a canvas top over the bed. It inspired my life long craving for functional, utilitarian 4WD off-road vehicles.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
adrenaline503 said:
I think it would be a great low tech build. When my wife had her old Volvo I loved working on it, so simple. Would you try to stay original?

That is always the question, isn't it? When my father and I wanted to restore my Grandfathers Jeep, his idea was keeping it totally original. I wanted to "upgrade". Since the Jeep was in original condition, it only made sense to keep it basically stock. The only change was an overdrive so it could do 65mph instead of 55mph.

From my perspective, most of the old Wagons and Trucks are in very rough condition and should just be "upgraded", but if you have a vehicle in very good condition, it should be restored.

I saved the factory service manual just in case I can find the opportunety to have another crack at it. Ours died an "untimely" death.

BBCchris, I say GO FOR IT. Build the old wagon or the truck!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I had a red and white 59 Willys Overland Wagon. It was a great wagon.
Do it, you will have a blast. It's such a classic looking vehicle.

BBCchris

Observer
Willys build

I think I'm going to start with the truck because... well I need a truck and it would be useful in hauling parts for the wagon. The truck has been sitting since '69 and somehow managed to make it all these years with out rotting out. There is a small hole in the d/s floor but that is it. It had the motor pulled back in the '80's and the project stalled after that. I'll drag her into the shop this weekend and tear into it. My plan is to use the stock frame and body but upgrade the drive train. I'm feeling a 4.0 Jeep motor because I'm comfortable working on it and its easy to wire up. Strip the chassis down, sandblast, POR15 and reassemble. Body has a small dent in the roof but other than that is in pretty good shape. It will get pulled, sand blasted, painted and put back on the rails. I'm not going to restore it to stock.... but am looking for it to "look" stock and have some modern day reliability. I have some pics that were take after some stuff was pulled off it. So, brace yourself. :)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Does the truck have the Spiral Bevel rear axle or the Dana (41?) rear axle? Neither is a first choice, but the Dana axle is preferred.

I had a '57 truck for a while. They have some oddities, like the rear track width is full size (4' wide bed) but the front track width is narrower. Putting a set of full size axles under one results in the front tires sticking way out beyond the fenders. Just about ideal is a Scout II front axle, preferably a '74 or later Dana 44 with disc brakes. Just about because the Scout knuckles are odd. A Scout housing with GM D44 knuckles/brakes/internal spline drive locking hubs/etc. would be the best bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk