Willys Wagon build?

BBCchris

Observer
I'll get her in the shop next Sunday and remove the 2WD chassis and see where it goes from there. Think I found a decent donor for the drivetrain and chassis... but need to settle on a price. Just as a side note this isn't going to be one of those quick 1 month builds...... I like to take my time so I can really start to hate and despise it and then drag it out over a long period of time. :)

Midnightburn

I was searching around to find other cool wagon projects and found this site. I am currently building a 62 Willys Wagon to use as an exploration/expedition vehicle. I thought you might want to check it out for some inspiration. I love these old hunks of American Iron. But I think they really need to be fully upgraded with modern equipment. Not only for function but for safety.

Here is one photo of my build project as of 2 weeks ago...

Milestone2.jpg

I am building it with a 95 5.7L, 4L60E, 241, HP Dana 60 in front, Currie 9" rear. It will have AC, cruise, power leather seats, delay wipers, and all the best adventure equipment. Warn winch, Ready Welder II, on-board air system, GPS, CB, and some custom built bumpers. It's currently sitting on 35x12.5x17 ProComp Extreme All Terrains.

Lots more detail here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725859

I can't wait to see what you build. I will keep watching. I can't believe how many wagons you have there. I could spend a whole week just hanging around and checking them out. I love it!! I'm not too far away from you. I'm in Boise, Idaho. Once I get mine done, I might just take a drive up there to see you.

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I'm actually in the process of building one with my dad; picked it up for a father son project.

Just moved on its own power today for the first time in over 30 years.

Perhaps I should start a build thread

Attachments

• DSC01779.JPG
    DSC01779.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 35

MKEEIRON

Mine is starting to get there :)

Is there anyone out there who built a Willys Wagon as an expo rig? I know its not the first or even 20th choice out there for a build..... but somebody has to have done it. I was itching for something to build this winter and it is a toss up between a FC-170 or a Willys Wagon/Truck. I already have a '50 wagon and a '51 truck that needs some love...... so why not do an old school, old iron build! :ylsmoke:

sorry...i am way too pc illetarate to post pics here...but if you want to e-mail me at bosssax@hotmail.com, I can send you some info and pics.

Cheers, Sax

BBCchris

Observer
I got her home but since we had a freaky amount of snow hit the ground a few weeks ago (about 6 feet) I have to wait until the snow melts down.
My plan is to actually drop the body on a 04-06 TJ Unlimited chassis, I got a few leads but the weather is putting the pinch on any forward progress. My father in law collects and restores military vehicles so thats why the there is a hummer clip in the pic.

colter

Observer
my first vehicle back in high shool was a 53 willys wagon. had the T90 3spd with a ford 302 mated up with a advance adapters adapter. spring over with stock springs and 33's. I spent a lot more time fixing it than I did driving it, but I loved that thing. Eventually put one tons under it and then sold it.

Willys america is a good source for parts (pricey though).

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I'm all for vintage rigs, I personally like the vintage wheeling experience. In high school I drove a 59 willys pickup and a 69 cj5. The 59 is on the back burner now and we haven't really decided the what kind of rig it will be, The 69 frame is taco-ed and I am currently work on a 60 cj5 that we bought/trade out last the summer. We will be hitting the trails this spring the way they did in 1960, pto winch, warn over drive, original 4-spd and all. Keep us posted on your build I am excited to see how it goes.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
BBCchris, looking forward to your updates. I'v always had a soft spot for the Willy's Wagons.

Midnightburn... awesome build! Just finished reading your thread.. i'm inspired.

Midnightburn

BBCchris,

I can't wait to see your project move forward. You have such a great opportunity with your selection of parts.

OverlandXJ, thanks for checking out my build project. Out of all the rigs I have built over the past 20 years, this one is the best. I am having a blast.

Last edited:

BBCchris

Observer
Hey Midnightburn,
I've been watching your build for a while now.... Your talent and skill's are way above mine..... and I work slow to boot! :coffee:

Midnightburn

Thanks man. I have had the most fun building rigs like this when I don't set a deadline. Enjoy the journey. But don't make us wait too long!!:drool:

Midnightburn

Hey, any chance you would sell me the 3 inner and 1 outer windshield center trim pieces of of one of your wagons? I have a 62, but want to keep the split windshield look of the earlier models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk