Winches!

rathvona

Observer
I'm driving a 3rd gen 4Runner and I feel like Warn will give me the best money vs. quality deal there is out there. I'm thinking a winch with pulling power between 7000 to 9500 pounds but is that to much or to little? And which winches have you specifically bought?

Thanks,
Austin

tgreening

Expedition Leader
As I recall conventional wisdom used to say your winch capacity should be 1.5x your vehicle weight. If you really wanted to be on the safe side you could make it 1.5x your vehicles GVWR, but that might not always be realistic for bigger vehicles with bigger payloads. My current rig weighs 10.5k and I'll be looking at a 16k or so winch to put on it. Ouch.

AndrewP

Explorer
Do you already have a bumper to mount the winch on?

If $ is tight, the Warn M8000 is a very good deal. Despite being "entry level" it's an excellent winch and I've seen them near $499 on sale.

If you have a bit more money, an Warn 8274-50 is their best product.

I have also seen a Warn 9.5 XP work above it's pay grade.

I would avoid the models with the enclosed solenoid pack.

Me personally, I have 2 8274s and an M12000. The M12000 is a brute, and probably more than you need on the front of a 4Runner

verdesardog

Explorer
As an ex tow truck operator I prefer a hydraulic winch. Many years ago I had a 8k warn that broke after powering out less than one length of cable. No more electric winches for me! I have a 10500# mile marker hydraulic on my truck. The first truck I had it on was a 1990 Dakota. When I sold that truck the buyer didn't want to pay extra for the winch so I put it on my new truck.

SAR_TRUCK11.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
Warn M8000s are work horses. I've seen them just work. Also super cheap, especially used (and then you can send money on a solenoid upgrade and synthetic rope!).

I'd go for a 9.5XP. Good pulling power and fast. Really, you want a fast winch however those come at a premium.

Whatever you do, plan on upgrading or buying with synthetic rope. It is SO MUCH easier to work with. Just that in itself is worth the cost. Easier to pull, no metal burrs, and not a pain to wrap. Then there is the entire failure mode safety.

Solid state solenoids are also awesome.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I've got an M8000 that I've had to use 3 times to pull people out of ditches. One was a stock Rubicon that required me to double up with a snatch block. The guy buried it to the frame, and the suspension was at full droop from him trying to get out. Mud was extremely thick, and heavy clay. When I finally for him out, you could see where the frame, axles, and pumpkins were dragging through the mud. That one left a few marks on the roller fairlead... The other two were results of icy roads. One was a 4 door hatchback something or another, and the other was a Jeep Liberty. No snatch block needed on either one, but I did have to anchor my truck to another to keep me from being pulled into the ditch as a result of the ice. It's not been used since (about 2 years ago) but I'm a firm believer in Warn. I've heard of people using and having good luck with the Badlands brand from Harbor Freight..., but I'm not sure if I trust that brand.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Warn 9.5 ti owner. It's never let me or rescuee down. If you aren't racing don't worry about the line speed, dependable is what will make you happy when you need it.

NYresQ

Unless you are doing competitive rock crawling, forget about line speed... when you are moving upwards of 5 tons (10 with a snatch block) the last thing you want to do is make it go fast...

A slower winch is safer for all involved, less likely to get something stuck in the fairlead like fingers, and less likely to get the line caught on something bad and have it break before someone notices it caught...

A 9.5Ti or one of the new Zeon winches would be a good winch with the synthetic line for your 4runner. Warn is the leader in electric winches for a reason, they simply work better than the others.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yes having a winch gives me the feeling that it will bail me out of a situation...because it does. Multiple times I've come up to a single obstacle on a trail, gotten stuck (too much or bad line, whatever). Pull cable, gotten over it, cleaned up, kept going. If I didn't have the winch, I would have been extra screwed.

My dad used to say the same thing. Then we were out on some property, we were going down a single track when we had to turn around, he said back into this wee tiny clearing. Little did we know, it was super soft and the truck just sank. The front tires were a foot from solid ground. Pulled cable, got the truck back on the good ground, went home. What could have been a super ordeal (stuck for at least the night, possibly longer if we had trouble on the 4 mile walk back...to a phone...not help, a phone) was a 15 minute inconvenience. He was a fan of that winch afterwards. We used it a number of times for rescuing others and moving heavy items.

Also I disagree with "you don't need line speed". Yes. You do. A few reasons: 1st off, if you are recovered faster, then less wear and tear on your winch. Sounds counter intuitive, but what kills winches is holding that button down for long periods of time. Slow line speed, you are winching longer. Faster line speed, done. Also you get recovered faster. Less time being in a jam. Lastly (and can actually be important) is proper trail etiquette. By not being stuck for 2 hours because your POS winch is slow and burned out the solenoids, you are clearing the trail, and moving on. I've seen many times when guys had slow winches and they took FOREVER to clear out their rig. Like...and hour. The fast winch guys were out of the way in under 15 minutes, easy.

Not saying you need to go trick out your winch, but a fast stock winch is the way to go. Yes the faster ones are more expensive, but you can buy used and rebuild them (if needed, most winches are hardly ever used) to offset the higher cost.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Unless you are doing competitive rock crawling, forget about line speed... when you are moving upwards of 5 tons (10 with a snatch block) the last thing you want to do is make it go fast...

A slower winch is safer for all involved, less likely to get something stuck in the fairlead like fingers, and less likely to get the line caught on something bad and have it break before someone notices it caught...

^Agreed with this guidance completely. Especially in the context of overlanding where rigs are carrying around much more stuff and longer period of time. Taller with RTT and sometimes with trailers hooked up. The line speed corresponds to the gear ratio. The greater the gear ratio (deeper/numerically higher) the greater the capacity. What plays into that is duty cycle and would be inversely proportional. Take awareness of your winches specified duty cycle AND your voltage meter! :)

Recovering safely without further incident is the goal as opposed to clearing the trail as quickly as possible. That's just icing on the cake.

M35A2

Tinkerer
Hi Auston,

This is short (for me), direct to the point, it is not beating around the bush.

The 8,000# will work good for you. Of the many different brands of winches out on the market. I have not had a bad one. The deciding which one to get is not that hard. The hard part is to figure out the safest way to use it. Get proper training to know how to use it is far more important then which one to buy! I have seen first hand the results of improper use and not being safe using a winch properly.

I have had Warn, Ramsey, Super Winch, Mile Marker and more. All of them have been great products.

I do believe that you feel that you have a good reason for wanting a winch. Without going into a long discussion of why you believe you need one. Why do you feel you need one? The reason I say this is if you are Overlanding and not Rock Crawling you probably will not need it! With proper education (driving skills) and also experience, knowing when to say when you will probably never need a winch.

Having a winch (for some people gives them a feeling of being overconfident and going beyond their skills) can get people into trouble. Without training and proper tools (accessories) is like having a dragster race car and street tires in it. Yes, it will work but not the way it is designed to work.

I say this from my experience (45 years of 4-wheeling, rock crawling and overlanding). I am retired I4WDTA trainer, educator and teacher. I have only stated this just so you will not think I am a person who got into off-highway driving last year and think that I know it all. I do not think that I know it all, but a do know some!

The same can be said for many things.

A good friend of mine was a wilderness camper who said the same thing about 4WD itself. "With 4WD, you just keep thinking 'I can go a few more feet' for no purpose". Heresy, right? But he traveled all over the northwest territory like that in his 2WD Checker Marathon station wagon with snow tires at all four corners and an open differential.

A winch is a tool, and personally, I like tools. :)

plh

Explorer
I've got a 9500 (Warn) on my Montero SR 4 door (4175 curb weight from WiKi), its similar weight as your 4Runner (3930 curb weight from WiKi) No issues. I've also got a Smittybuilt 8000 on my older Raider (2 door) - lighter (3290 curb weight from WiKi) than your 4Runner - Also never an issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven