Winches!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
An interesting idea from the fringe of Euro competition winches.

http://www.red-winches.com/products/air-brake-unit/153/

I guess getting winch to STOP quick enough is becoming a problem on some of the high speed units now. This little unit, when sandwiched between the winch motor and winch gearbox, is designed to stop the inertia the winch has built up like when free spooling line in. When you let off the control switch, this unit is designed to stop the winch from turning, not just prevent winch line from playing back out.

While it is a fringe solution for a fringe problem, it is interesting.

I wonder if it takes air pressure to lock...or unlock?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
According to their literature, it does require air. Solenoid activated via the on/off signal from the control. Not sure if it would work with a conventional in-drum brake though. This looks like it's designed to stop the motor, not necessarily hold the load. I can see it being useful if you have a gigglepin that is pulling line in at 400ft/min!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
According to their literature, it does require air. Solenoid activated via the on/off signal from the control. Not sure if it would work with a conventional in-drum brake though. This looks like it's designed to stop the motor, not necessarily hold the load. I can see it being useful if you have a gigglepin that is pulling line in at 400ft/min!

Yup, that is what it is for, stopping the winch when you let off the trigger.

It does take air. They do list it as taking some of the load off the main winch brake.

Even on my old Belleview, and fairly stock 8274's, it would be nice if the cable stopped right when you let off the button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz