Would you consider moving from XJ to WJ and upgrade?

troy

Adventurer
My current XJ is well set up for my needs but has taken a beating this winter. It has 228K. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24715This spring it'll need new:

-Cat back exhaust
-windshield corner rust addressed, as well as some other rust preventative and minor cosmetic body work (side moulding coming off).
- broken wires in drivers door leading to intermittent locks and windows.
- Torque converter replaced (clutch is shot, so it won't hold the lock-up)
- Hinge on driver's door needs to be replaced, lubing it up won't work anymore, it is wore out.
- rear speakers blown and need replacing.

It is cold and I haven't had the chance to work on this thing, so I've been living with the defects, but I've noticed I could get a WJ with 100K less miles than my Jeep and really clean for about $4-6K. I could probably get $2K from mine and maybe part out some of it.

So for my Jeep plus $3K, I could have a vehicle with less miles and several years newer (less rust). Would this be a worthy upgrade, or should I plug $3K into the Jeep this summer and keep her around for another 100K?

Either one sounds like a good option to me since I would still be free of car payments, but I'm curious of your opinions. I love my 4.0/AW4 combo, but I've seen plenty of WJs with 200K that I'm not that worried.

BTW - upgrades to the XJ would likely include

-ARB bull bar w/winch
-DetouUSA tailbone tire carrier with matching rubicon/BFG spare
-upgrade headlight wire harness to complement the H4 upgrade.
-matching husky liner for the rear cargo area
- upgrade stereo system (replace rear speakers and add hidden sub to rear panel)
- paint roof and address any developing rust issues
-fix all small defects and replace torque converter.
-Install ZJ rear discs (parts are sitting in the garage)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Some grands have the aw4/4.0l combo. if it were a grand with that setup, I'd go for it.

then again, I like my xj, and have no rust issues. I'd have no problem spending $1500 on a new crate motor, as the rest of my rig is just about perfect as far as condition goes. It'd be a chunk of change, but again, it would be cheaper than buying a whole new rig, especially after doing all the upgrades I have completed or have planned.

winkosmosis

Explorer
If you like the WJ, go for it. I had a WJ and gave it to my dad to trade down to an XJ.

WJ pros:
--Better aerodynamics = better highway gas mileage, like 20-21mpg
--4.7L V8 is great (also contributes to gas mileage)
--545RE 5 speed transmission is awesome. It has 2 overdrives, again better gas mileage. If you buy a 1999 or 2000 you can have the TCM flashed to enable the 5th gear. This trans also seems to be great at engine braking.
--More towing capacity
--Quadra Trac system is a good AWD electronic clutch based system that you can use on the street
--Quadra Drive system has limited slip diffs front and rear
Stronger unibody
--Luxurious

WJ cons:
--Low pinion D30 up front
--Aluminum D44 with very little if any aftermarket support
--1000lb heavier
--HVAC blend door issues very common-- costs $100-$200 to fix with an aftermarket metal door through the glove box (you have to dremel a hole), or $1000+ at a mechanic. Ours has this problem and but we haven't tried to fix it yet.
--Bulbuous minivan styling (the one thing I really hated about the WJ)

alosix

Expedition Leader
Some grands have the aw4/4.0l combo. if it were a grand with that setup, I'd go for it.

then again, I like my xj, and have no rust issues. I'd have no problem spending $1500 on a new crate motor, as the rest of my rig is just about perfect as far as condition goes. It'd be a chunk of change, but again, it would be cheaper than buying a whole new rig, especially after doing all the upgrades I have completed or have planned.

I think the AW-4 ZJ is about 1/2 a year of 1996 IIRC.

I really liked the WJs that I've driven. The factory steering setup is much better than XJ/TJ and the brakes are bigger.

The XJ would be cheap to fix, but honestly I'd probably go with a WJ in your situation. For most overland situations the Quadradrive II setup is more than enough to get around well. They'll climb things better than any stock TJ save the rubi.

Jason

Jason

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think the AW-4 ZJ is about 1/2 a year of 1996 IIRC.

I really liked the WJs that I've driven. The factory steering setup is much better than XJ/TJ and the brakes are bigger.

The XJ would be cheap to fix, but honestly I'd probably go with a WJ in your situation. For most overland situations the Quadradrive II setup is more than enough to get around well. They'll climb things better than any stock TJ save the rubi.

Jason

Jason

ah, ok, I thought maybe it carried into the WJ lineup.

if the 4.7L is a known performer, then that seems fine to me. A reliable drivetrain, enough seatbelts for my family of 5, 4 doors, and a fun, extensive aftermarket keep me coming back to my XJ, but if this can be found to some extent in the WJ, I'd say go for it, too.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I think the 6 has the 42RLE in the WJ, same as the TJs.

The last one I drove had much less confused programming than the TJs appear to have though.

the 4.7 with the 45RFE (4 speed programmed version of the 545RFE) would be a nice setup. 4.7 is better on gas than its older magnum brethren and that tranny is one of the only DCX trannies that is actually decent.

winkosmosis

Explorer
15152_10100102478668800_7901546_56778801_2848007_n.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I think about a WJ more or less constantly... And FSJs... I need to build another garage.

The combo I'd look for is 4.7/RF545E/NV242. I'd be "soft" on the NV242 if I couldn't find a Jeep with it and plan to swap it out later.

Just for the record, AW4 was only offered in 1993 ZJs.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Me personally, I'd keep the XJ. I just like the style a little more. I know that each vehicle has its ups and downs, but to me the XJ just fits the image in my head of an "expedition" vehicle a little more, whereas the WJ in my little peanut brain seems more like the kind of thing a city slicker might take to the ski resorts, it seems a little more fancy schmancy.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'd put in a vote for the WJ. Seemed to me to be a very useful size, not too big for trail use, but big enough to be good in street and highway use. And, as mine was a Limited, I had all kinds of nifty luxury goodies as well. WJs are supposed to have fairly crummy reliability, but mine gave me no problems.

The QuadraDrive II system is wizard, the only drawback being that you have no idea what it's doing. There are no lights or anything to let you know what it's doing with your diffs and brales, but it seems to have it all figured out. I'm tempted from time to time to get another one.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Me personally, I'd keep the XJ. I just like the style a little more. I know that each vehicle has its ups and downs, but to me the XJ just fits the image in my head of an "expedition" vehicle a little more, whereas the WJ in my little peanut brain seems more like the kind of thing a city slicker might take to the ski resorts, it seems a little more fancy schmancy.

I agree. That and the minivan styling made me unable to stand it any longer so I had to get an XJ

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I really don't think that the reliability of a WJ is that bad. From what I can gather the biggie is the heater box flap thingy. There is also another HVAC related thing regarding the dual climate control system. IIRC it is corrected in 2001+ WJs and the old ones can be fixed if you are handy with a soldering iron. Something about replacing a capacitor or resistor or something.

Like everything ChryCo the electrics are weak. <sigh /> That said, there seems to be plenty of web sites documenting fixes. One of the joys of Jeeps - you aren't alone to figure out some bizarro world esoteric doogle flap thingy.

I've seen/read about some problems with drivetrain. In every instance it seems to be a case of a kid beating on the vehicle and then whining it is too expensive to fix.

For overlanding the rear axle is fine.

Supposedly the cooling system can be a little weak. They say that about pretty much all Jeeps. I've never encountered a problem with cooling and attribute the perceived weakness to old vehicles with a system problem that has not been addressed.

People complain about the "mini-van" styling and the soccer mom attitudes about it. Don't forget 5-10 years ago that was the attitude about XJs too. The WJ has the goods from a drivetrain and suspension perspective. That much is certain.

Every time I look at this Jeep I get excited about builidng a WJ. That's one hell of a mini-van.

Link from Iceland Off-Road

Yes, I'm a WJ fan. That said, I love my XJ too. I'm going to have both (eventually) :D

wjtoy

I have owned both and each has its strengths. Personally I would recommend the WJ if you're hauling a family. The slightly larger size really helps. My list of the pros:
WJ
-More power w/ 4.7L with better mpg
-Larger size, more capacity
-Quadra drive
-Limited has lots of frills if you're into that
XJ
-More utilitarian
-More aftermarket support
-Lighter

troy

Adventurer
As I expected, you guys have me wanting both. Maybe I should start convincing my wife she needs a WJ instead of the Honda Pilot she wants.

I think it comes down to vehicle condition in my case. Mechanically my Jeep is very sound, except for the torque converter, but everything has 228K of wear. Since I'm a midwesterner, rust is hiding in every corner and the only place it is noticeable is the windshield corners. Door seams and rockers still look great.

Minivan styling was mentioned by a couple, but it can also go the other way. How many modded WJs do you pass on a daily basis. I pass several "kids" with modded XJs, no offense to the youngsters on the board. Is a modded WJ the adult Jeep expo vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online