WTB LOCKERS

Jclick45

Want to buy lockers, toyota 8.4 rear, 7.5 ifs front. Open to any lockers just let me know what you have. Used is fine long as they work! Temporary till 1 ton swap happens

billiebob

I'm a huge fan of lockers but not sure you want to lock the front. The reason the Rubicon comes with D44 difs front and rear is because fully locked all the torque can go to any single tire. When doing that the front dif should be as tough as the rear dif. The reason most 4x4s have a smaller front dif is because in 2WD all the torque goes to the rear dif, in 4WD the spilt thru a 2WD/4WD transfer case is 50/50, only 50% of the torque reaches the front dif. Unlocked something loses traction and spins before you "overload" a single steering knuckle.

Locking up a 7.5ifs and an 8.4 solid axle will require a tender foot on the loud pedal. You will love it but don't forget where the weak link is.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I'm a huge fan of lockers but not sure you want to lock the front. The reason the Rubicon comes with D44 difs front and rear is because fully locked all the torque can go to any single tire. When doing that the front dif should be as tough as the rear dif. The reason most 4x4s have a smaller front dif is because in 2WD all the torque goes to the rear dif, in 4WD the spilt thru a 2WD/4WD transfer case is 50/50, only 50% of the torque reaches the front dif. Unlocked something loses traction and spins before you "overload" a single steering knuckle.

Locking up a 7.5ifs and an 8.4 solid axle will require a tender foot on the loud pedal. You will love it but don't forget where the weak link is.
But just in case you forget, chances are you will be reminded.

Jclick45

Yes sir, definitely aware of the weakness. At this point I believe it will be safer as I am a very slow wheeler. If I can't do it slow and controlled, I don't do it. I see more cv breakages when I have wheel spin, having to throttle it past an obstacle, etc. Is it ideal? No, but good for me. It's only temporary till I save up $ to install my 60/sterling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk