WTB Toyota Custom Cab Truck

patrolman

Observer
Looking to buy a Toyota "Custom Cab" Pickup Truck 4wd. These were made in the late 1980's. Prefer 4x4 but will consider 2wd. Can be in any condition, complete or partial. MUST include a title. Can tow away if necessary. See pics for examples of the style I need. Have cash and ready to buy the right truck. Really prefer the Rocky Mountain Region as I am in Denver. PM with any details.

Attachments

• 3n93o23l25V05T55Z4b25238ad33df4191786.jpg
    3n93o23l25V05T55Z4b25238ad33df4191786.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 3k93mb3l95Y35Q55R2b255715cbb14bf118ae.jpg
    3k93mb3l95Y35Q55R2b255715cbb14bf118ae.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 406

patrolman

Observer
That is a nice ride, and he might very well close to what he is asking. Well outside of my price range though. I have located a few of them, all in the $1,500-$3,000 range, but just too far to go snag so far. I just need something to haul "junk" in. It would be a shame to tear up that truck!

patrolman

Observer
Still looking... Would prefer in Denver or Colorado, but will consider other areas in Western US. Thanks.

Hobo @ Large

Custom Cab

Hello I just joined this forum to tell you I have a Toyota Custom Cab truck. I am in Bozeman Montana so I'm reasonably close to you (Denver). I don't have a pic of it as yet will get one this week. I will tell you about it. It ain't pretty. It needs to be restored. The most important part of the truck is the xtra cab and there are no dents or broken fiberglass. It needs.... Engine(no engine in it) Frt. bumper, grill, headlights and buckets, hood, door, fender, rear bumper, tail light lens, interior is ruff (no door panels) Its a 1985/86 IFS 4wd G52 tranny with driveshafts intact, and has A/C. Good glass, bed has a few rust spots. Someone repainted it once and must have dealt with the rust issues already. Tires are lame, It has steel white spoke wheels, no spare. Sounds bad but I can get body parts, hood, door, fender for $150. The truck was a carb'd but... I have a 1985 Toyota motorhome that was wrecked. In it is a EFI engine with a absolutely mint interior. The odometer has 118,000 on it original engine! The interior is a chocolate brown with tan accent. It would look good with a OD green paint , or red, white, tan (like a FJ), or cream. I will sell truck for $1500, $800 for the engine and another $200 for the interior, $150 for extra body parts. Total $2650. Has a clean ready to transfer title. I would pull the EFI engine and either you or I could do the interior. Since you will be reinstalling the interior may you should pull it apart so you know how to get it back in right. You or anyone can email me direct ay danwyocamper@yahoo.com. I could send some pics via cell phone but would still try to get real pics up. I don't have a camera and would need to have a friend do it. Thanks for reading, Dan I also have the dually full floating rear out of the motorhome $500

Last edited:

pilotmike

Mines for sale $8000

http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu6/carsin831/1986cc4x4/

1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Custom Cab Turbo 22RTE, 5 speed manual
99,500 miles

The engine is all stock, has all the emissions installed, and just passed California Emissions.
Its licensed in California, and I have the pink slip (title).

I have added:
31-10.50 x 15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2
ARB Front Bumper
Warn M8000 warn Winch
New Silverstar headlights
Carpet and floor mats

I thought after I put the winch and bumper on, I would have to adjust the torsion bars, but the truck sits perfect, I haven't adjusted anything.

I don't have many details of the previous owners, or repairs.
But I do have paperwork showing the head gasket was replaced at around 80,000 miles.At the same time the turbo and housing, along with the timing chain was replaced with the factory parts.

When I bought it, there was some sputtering at full throttle, but a quick scan of codes showed a faulty TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor), so that was replaced. The truck runs great with no issues.
Clutch feels perfect, transmission shifts perfect in every gear. Brakes work great also.

I love buying old Toyota 4x4's and making them better,then letting them go to have someone else apprectiate them. I know when this truck was new in 1986, all the guys my age at that time, beat them to death! I am not a dealer, I am a private owner and fan of old Toyota 4x4s.
It is so cool seeing trucks like this still on the road.
The paint still shines up good, but there are nicks and scratches and some door dings. Everything works as it should, lights, gauges, radio, turn signals, everything!

Hobo @ Large

Pics

I finally got a friend to take some pics however we didn't know how to post them on the thread so they are in my inbox. Unless someone can explain how to post on thread I would just have to email them to you..8 pics of the truck will try to have interior pics of the motorhome tomorrow tho I already removed the dash and engine so they will just be in parts. Engine showed some oil leaks and wouldn't want to sell an engine W/O looking at the timing chain I removed the T.C. So I will be putting on new gaskets and front and rear main seals. The oil pan is removed and I looked at the lower bearings of one rod and one main ..they look good. 'll leave the pan off so someone can look at the bearings in detail if they want. I also have an extra hood tho it has 2 small dents in it its better than the one thats on it... I'll thro that in with the deal and also the 2 doors from the motor home ...one is bad but they have good window regulators in them and glass. If interested in pics hers is my email ... danwyocamper@yahoo.com, KNOW that this truck needs to be sanded down and repainted. Its still worth what I'm asking as a frame stretched is $500, a good cab the same and a custom driveshaft and 4wd another $500. Try finding a custom-cab for less.

Last edited:

patrolman

Observer
I ended up picking up a 1986 Custom Cab about a week ago in Las Vegas, NM. $2,300+ trade and drove it over 300 miles home with no issues. It is basically stock on 31's. Was a 22ret, but converted to 22re. 5 speed manual. No options except AC and the full gauge set since it was a turbo. First thing I did when I got back to Denver was hit the emissions test, which it passed with no problems.

It got a fair amount of work done today. I drained what looked like river water from the cooling system. Flushed the system out with the garden hose. New water pump installed. Pulled thermostat and will replace the gasket but keep the thermostat itself. Also pulled the oil pump and put new seals/gaskets in it as it was leaking.

It had the worst looking fan belts I have ever seen (I bought spares before I hit the road home as I would have bet good money one would break). Got the new belts on and put in a 90amp upgraded Mobi-Arc alternator that I modified a previously.

It will also get a used radiator that I have. The one in it had a huge patch which seemed to be leaking a bit. Don't want to risk it since it obviously has issues. It also had the incorrect shroud, probably from a V6 engine. I have a 22re shroud that will be going on.

Future work will include larger Ford style mirrors, Tuffy console with Cobra CB that I had waiting for it, early 90's 4Runner seats (the current ones are junk from some other vehicle and don't slide). Will also see Rancho heavy duty torsion bars, front bumper and Warn 8274 winch. Will need a 1" body lift to fit the winch and bumper. Will also need to have the turn signals moved to the corner parking lights due to the bumper change. All this was on my previous 87 standard cab. I also plan on TJ rear coils in the rear on top of the leaf springs. Will provide extra cargo capacity but keep a reasonable ride. Did this on my previous truck and have the same setup on my 87 4Runner.

Lastly, it will see rear e-locker and gears. Considering a double transmission as well. It can certainly accommodate it with the extra wheelbase. I would also like to put in a full floater rear axle that I have sitting in the corner of my garage. It is from a dually Toyota. I have been working on converting it to fit the 4wd and have the disc brake conversion. Would love to see a 2.7L from a Tacoma in it, but that isn't likely since the 22re seems to be a decent engine. No point in changing it out.

I certainly have my work cut out for me but it will be well worth it!

Attachments

• 5L35T55J73F13J53H3c5e437960f0c00a1347.jpg
    5L35T55J73F13J53H3c5e437960f0c00a1347.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,359
  • IMG_7696 smaller.jpg
    IMG_7696 smaller.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,786
  • IMG_7698.JPG
    IMG_7698.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_7713.JPG
    IMG_7713.JPG