XJ Expedition Rig...

thejafe

Adventurer
Ok, so I'm playing with the idea of selling my TJ and beginning an XJ buildup! Here is where I'm at so far. I'm open to any and all tips or suggestions:

RE 3.5" SF
Advance Adapters/Tom Woods CV/SYE
31x10.50 BFG AT's on stock 15x7's

ARB Bull Bar
Warn XD9000i Winch

AJ's Standard Rock Sliders
Ruff Stuff Diff. Protection

Ultimate Air 10# CO2 Setup
Husky Liners (front, rear, cargo)

IPF H4 Conversion
IPF Rectangular Driving Lights

I'd like to add a GPS system and a roof rack of some kind plus a way to mount a 31x10.50 spare tire. What do you think? On the roof rack?

efuentes

Explorer
i´m on the same boat, but have decided to go 33x10.5 on 3" and trimmed fenders, i am also going to change the rear differential for a Dana 44.

I´ll put pictures of my rack as soon as its completed, it will hold the spare and a couple of jerry cans.

Saludos

LJRockstar

Adventurer
CRD4Liberty said:
Think I'd go air compressor on an expedition rig, it's more sustainable.

Agreed. A compressor is definitely the way to go. You will burn through the Co2 tank real fast if you need to use air tools for any reason.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Andrew,
The XD9000i with its integrated solenoid housing doesn't fit in the XJ ARB bull bar. You'll have to go with an X9000 or M8000. Only a 4lb difference between the two, both exceptional winches. I'd go with whichever costs less.

Regarding the IPF headlight conversion, while the output is good, the IPF bulb longevity seems to border on poor. There may be an option out there with comparable performance, but better longevity. You might want to research this further.

I'd recommend trying to keep the roof clear for cog more than anything. The XJ platform is really a lightweight compared to similarly classed vehicles, so keep the payload close to the ground for optimal stability and handling. Considerable cost difference aside, an AT would be the ticket here as opposed to a roof rack.

A company called Detours manufactures a tire carrier / rear bumper reinforcement system that installs over (and under) the stock rear XJ bumper. NAXJA referred this setup to me. It looks like a good solution if you want to install a tire carrier with tow points while retaining your bumper. Should offer some weight savings too. Available sans flames.

ShowLettertailbone.jpg

Good luck! :D

Last edited:

LJRockstar

Adventurer
I used the Rampage Headlight conversion in my LJ, I had them in my old XJ, they work GREAT! I took it another step further in the LJ by adding HID H4 conversions. They have High and low beams, and work VERY well. I got them HERE. If they don't have exactly what you are looking for, they will set up an auction just for you. I believe they are a drop shipper directly from the Manufacturer. I have ordered three different times from them, and I have never had a problem. Send them an email (If you're interested) and they will answer all of your questions. The set I got for my LJ were so nice I ended up getting them for my motorcycles and my sisters KJ.

Price is probably less that you would expect too. (At least I thought so)

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Sorry to hi-jack but that Detours bumper attachemnt is awesome. I wish they'd make something similar for the KJ...I know that I and a bunch of other people would just eat that up....:chowtime:

CRD4Liberty

Detours is starting on the KJs now, a front winch mount is in the works right this very minute, with a few prototypes out now. Pics are available.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Yea I've seen those in the works, Detours is having problems with a contractor for powdercoat or something along those lines and so far has only produced those 2 systems that are out now. I've sent the rep. I know some messages through LOST inquiring about future production of the item but no such luck yet...only time will tell i suppose...

wADVr

Adventurer
An air compressor is definitely a better option. I ran Co2 for a while and while it worked great, I was always running out of air.

3.5" lift on 31s will get you almost anywhere without too much modification. A good freind of mine ran the Rubicon trail with that and a single locker in the front and did just fine. Also he didnt need to modify the rear DS or SYE the case.

stomperxj

Explorer
How funny, I am about to bolt on a ton of stuff to my XJ too. We have similar lists. If you can afford it, get the RE 6130 kit and just order it with 3.5" front springs. Thats what I did. If you figure in the cost of a trackbar, and the brakelines you'll eventually need, its almost the same cost...

My list:

RE6130 XJ 4.5 SuperFlex kit w/leafs
JKS Discos
Extreme Duty trackbar/bracket
Bilstein 5150 & 5125
RE Steering Stabilizer
.75" spacers
4.10's F&R
ARB Front
Terra 2Lo
RE SYE
31" OTR Muds