XJ or TJ

Nightkrawler

Observer
:confused: I currently own both a 97 TJ 4.0 auto and my new toy a 98 XJ limited 4.0 auto, so here is the big choice. I start my clinical rotation in April and will be unable to afford both jeeps. Faced with the choice ups and downs for each.

Nightkrawler

Observer
BTW, the XJ is on a RE short arm 31" tires no other mods.
TJ is 4" on 33" entire drivetrain is upgraded only needs paint and cosmetics to finish (for now).

Rosco862003

Adventurer
If it was up to me I would stick with the TJ. It sounds like you have more invested in the TJ, and the last part of that post shows that your not done building the Jeep up (as noone who has a Jeep is.) I would also consider what you are going to use your vehicle for mainly. I would assume its also going to be your DD and used only for occasional wheeling, in which case the XJ would most likey save you a few bucks at the pump. However both are awesome platforms and sucks to have to see you have to decide on which leg you want to give up! Good luck on your choice, and if need be I can hold on to it for ya until you finish up that clinical for no holding fee at all! Im just a nice guy like that:victory:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have an XJ, and love it, but here is my thinking.

XJ's are a dime a dozen compared to TJ's. You can always find another XJ easily and cheaply later on if you decide you want another one.

~James

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I beg to differ on a lot of the posts here. The TJ will hold value more and you do have more dough invested in it and it is naturally a little more capable on the trails, but it isn't quite as good of a general purpose vehicle as the XJ. If it is a matter of money, I'd keep the one that is cheapest to drive and insure which I'm guessing might be the XJ. And with the XJ if you would happen to see a nice leather lazy boy sitting out by a dumpster one day on your way home you can pick it up, that don't happen with the TJ even if you do have a roof rack.:)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Having owned a CJ7, a 2004 LJ unlimited (long wheelbase TJ), and now an XJ, I have these opinions:

-an xj will comfortably fit
4 adults or
3 adults and 1 kid, or
2 adults and 3 kids or
1 adult and like 10 33 gallon bags of stuff

-a TJ will fit
2 adults and lots of gear
4 adults and a can of coke each
2 adults and 2 kids and a diaper bag
3 adults and one kid and a Q-tip
1 adults and like 4 33 gallon bags of "stuff"

TJ's are great offroad and the aftermarket has you covered.Same with XJ's, though.

XJ's are gonna get hung up in the middle of the truck, but are stable up,down and sideways.

TJ's will not usually high-center, but are very likely to tip, flip, and roll.

(I'm generalizing, of course. Intelligent driving and modifications mitigate these things)

When you get a family you'll sell the TJ and get an XJ, if you stay a jeep guy.

Fun thing is, is that they ROCK out of the box, and can do things stock with a set of lockers, that most TJ's cannot even with a lift, 33's and lockers, due to their wheelbase.

That being said my XJ does these things well.

-towing a ute. trailer
-carrying my family of 5
-take us through snow, mud and rocks
-carry a canoe on top
-take me comfortably to work everyday
-return 18-20mpg
-allow me to build a world-class wheeler on a very
small budget. (I'll probably have only about $5000.00 into my XJ when I'm done)

good luck deciding.

-Brian

purdueXJ

Observer
If I had the choice between a TJ and my XJ I would pick a TJ hands down. More capable, actually has a frame, and you can take the top off.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I beg to differ on a lot of the posts here. The TJ will hold value more and you do have more dough invested in it and it is naturally a little more capable on the trails, but it isn't quite as good of a general purpose vehicle as the XJ. If it is a matter of money, I'd keep the one that is cheapest to drive and insure which I'm guessing might be the XJ. And with the XJ if you would happen to see a nice leather lazy boy sitting out by a dumpster one day on your way home you can pick it up, that don't happen with the TJ even if you do have a roof rack.:)

good post. lots of truth there.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
If I had the choice between a TJ and my XJ I would pick a TJ hands down. More capable, actually has a frame, and you can take the top off.

Having since owned my XJ that is nice and quiet on the highway, I honestly don't miss a droptop.

There are some though, who hate feeling "inside" when driving a jeep. here in san diego, though the wheeling is dusty, and its really nice to be able to shut the windows, turn on the air, and filter a bit of that away from us.

good point though. for lots a people going topless is a big deal. something to consider. :victory:

Nightkrawler

Observer
Ok thanks for all the input.
1. I'd love to keep both
2. a 4door JK is cool but I hate payments
3. I love my jeeps and want to keep both
4. new option, found a FSJ cherokee uber cool and in good shape guy wants to trade the Xj and give me cash :Wow1:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok thanks for all the input.
1. I'd love to keep both
2. a 4door JK is cool but I hate payments
3. I love my jeeps and want to keep both
4. new option, found a FSJ cherokee uber cool and in good shape guy wants to trade the Xj and give me cash :Wow1:

Well THAT'S cool.

pics?

those are going to get like 10-12mpg with the 360 or 401. they are pretty robust, though.

with the 258 inline six they'll get better mileage.

One cool thing, is that they are big enough to sleep inside usually, so that you can go wheeling/camping and not have to buy a tent or get a hotel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3