XJ rear bumper ideas/pics?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I started building a bumper for my buddies xj. The main part is 2x6x1/4box. I've been searching for a way to do a cool tire carrier. He also want a shovel, axe and hilift mount. I am looking for ideas to keep it clean looking. If you have pics or links, I'd appreciate seeing them.

dieck

Adventurer
BigAl said:
I started building a bumper for my buddies xj. The main part is 2x6x1/4box. I've been searching for a way to do a cool tire carrier. He also want a shovel, axe and hilift mount. I am looking for ideas to keep it clean looking. If you have pics or links, I'd appreciate seeing them.

This is the one that came on my jeep when I bought it. I've since removed the license plate holder and jerry can holder. Overall I like it as it is very stout. I don't like the way it works with the side bumper covers which I have since removed.

I think a challenge to fabbing my own would be attaching it to the body of the XJ. Mine literally has about 20 bolts that hold it on in weird places. It's not nearly as simple as bolting a bumper on the frame like I am used to with the toyotas. The unibody definately makes it interesting.

I'll see if I can snap some close up pics if there is anything in particular you are interested in.

IMG_7589.jpg

Picture_007.jpg

Picture_008.jpg

Dave

Explorer
On my 2000 XJ, I had a Custom 4x4 Fabrication bumper and tire carrier. It was NOT a tow point, so it only mounted in the stock location plus four bolts (two on each frame rail) on the underside where the hitch mounts. Personally, I was in favor of using my Hidden Hitch as a tow point rather then a bumper.

http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/rear_xj.html

DSCN0720.jpg

DSCN1111.jpg

A few things I liked about this design is that the tire carrier mounted to the face of the bumper instead of the top and the tire was centered. This kept the tire lower so I could see over it and out of the corners so I could see around it when using the rear view mirror.

Last edited:

dieck

Adventurer
Dave said:
On my 2000 XJ, I had a Custom 4x4 Fabrication bumper and tire carrier. It was NOT a tow point, so it only mounted in the stock location plus four bolts (two on each frame rail) on the underside where the hitch mounts. Personally, I was in favor of using my Hidden Hitch as a tow point rather then a bumper.

http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/rear_xj.html

DSCN0720.jpg

DSCN1111.jpg

A few things I liked about this design is that the tire carrier mounted to the face of the bumper instead of the top and the tire was centered. This kept the tire lower so I could see over it and out of the corners so I could see around it when using the rear view mirror.

I love that bumper. Very nice. Where does the license plate mount? Any squeeks or rattles?

Dave

Explorer
dieck said:
I love that bumper. Very nice. Where does the license plate mount? Any squeeks or rattles?

There was not a specific mounting location for the license plate. I ended up drilling and tapping two holes in the tire carrier swing out on the right side of the tire and using Lite'N Bolts to light up the plate. I just tapped into the stock license plate lamp wiring in the lift gate to wire up the Lite'N Bolts.

I should have mounted the plate on the left side of the tire. With the plate on the right side, when I opened the lift gate, there was a tendency for the gate to hit the plate.

There were not any squeaks or rattles that I remember hearing from the cab. The latch is brain dead simple, once it's latched down there are no moving parts to rattle and the carrier "hinge" just used two off the shelf bearings and seals.

One thing I HATED with this bumper is that there was nothing to lock the swing out in place when it was unlatched. Total PITA if the Jeep was parked on a down hill or up hill.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I also have the C4x4 rear bumper, but it's an early production dating back to the 90's. I will be having a new dual swingaway fabbed up with ideas i like on some of the LC's over at www.IH8MUD.com

Heres the bracket i made up quickly that attached with the same bolt that holds the wheel clamp to carrier after tire is setting in position.

HPIM1805.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the pics. I see a lot of you have the hinge on top of the bumper in front of the passenger side taillight. Any issue during inspections? Since I'm using 2x6 box, iwas thinking of putting the hinge on the face of the bumper. I'm looking at this for the hinge from Blue torch fab with some tabs
bushing_boss_thumb.jpg

Alex

Adventurer
After using a rear swingout bumper with a bushing mounted swingout for a few years I would recommend you start out with a spindle that uses tapered roller bearings for your pivot. My Bulletproof bumper has a bushing for a pivot and it bounces around quite a bit, especially with a heavy load on the swingout. All it can really handle is a spare tire and shovel, any more it starts bouncing so bad it feels like the entire rear of the Cherokee is going to break off! There is really no frame back there to support it. You will want to run angle iron braces along the underside of the body to tie the bumper in like this...

orig.jpg

Various configurations...
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Just don't try this: it is too much weight. Notice the strap to the roof to help things stay put.
orig.jpg

One thing you might want to add to your bumper that I think every camping vehicle should have, a trash bag hook that will hold a bag while you drive!

CRD4Liberty

Ramblers and the earlier AMC vehicles had front spindles that bolted on with a 4 bolt flange. Have built many trailers using them over the years. Don't see why they couldn't be used here.

dieck

Adventurer
BigAl said:
Thanks for all the pics. I see a lot of you have the hinge on top of the bumper in front of the passenger side taillight. Any issue during inspections? Since I'm using 2x6 box, iwas thinking of putting the hinge on the face of the bumper. I'm looking at this for the hinge from Blue torch fab with some tabs
bushing_boss_thumb.jpg

I just had mine inspected. No concerns about the tail light.

Green96D1

Explorer
I know this is a jeep bumper thread:)

however have you gave thought to a slimline design.

I just recently built a bumper for my truck for maximum departure angle.

I know the cherokee is made different. heres a picture of mines

just a thought!

riverfever

Adventurer
I also have the Custom 4x4 bumper. I am in day 2 of a welding course and started making a few modifications to it today. Basically, I added another piece of 2x2 that mirrors the passengers one (triangulating the main spare bar) as well as adding 1x1 for the Hi Lift to mount to. Please don't pay too close attention to the welds as today was only 6 hours of MIG.

Before:
5zfa8ts.jpg

After today:
5y9819s.jpg

6afmwqv.jpg

I discovered a slight problem after I left class and went to the grocery store. When the swing away is open...I can't lift the darn tailgate b/c the Hi Lift is in the way. :oops: So now I get to remove all the 1x1 tomorrow and I think I'm just going to flip it all over to the drivers side. It has been really fun learning to weld and actually making these things on my own. I'll post more final pics tomorrow.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
riverfever said:
II discovered a slight problem after I left class and went to the grocery store. When the swing away is open...I can't lift the darn tailgate b/c the Hi Lift is in the way. :oops: So now I get to remove all the 1x1 tomorrow and I think I'm just going to flip it all over to the drivers side. It has been really fun learning to weld and actually making these things on my own. I'll post more final pics tomorrow.
That is very similar to what we're doing, tell me about the hinge, bushings or bearings? Did you make?

riverfever

Adventurer
Al...this was a C4x4 bumper and swing out that I bought last year. I can't take credit for the hinge or any of that. I simply added the mount for the jack and an extra brace piece for the larger 33" tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk