xj rear tire carrier

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Back on the market for a rear bumper with tire carrier for my 2001 XJ. Needs to hold up to a 33, although I might downsize from current to 31s. Needs 2 inch receiver. Other add ons (cans, hi lift, shovel etc...) would be nice.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

John

weaselguys

I have been looking for the same thing and was almost set to pull the trigger on a JCR deulxe but wanted larger cans and push in lights ,I now have a fab shop building one for me contoured similar to a JCR ,with push in lights,jacking points,d-ring tabs ,adjustable tire carrier ,hi-lift mount ,2 jerry can holders, carrier stop pin to hold it open and a removable above tire rack for the same price as the JCR. Figure out what you want and try for a custom fab first.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Dumpster find...

Hmm...
Wonder if I can make one of these work.?. :shakin:
Found not one, but TWO in the dumpster today... WOOT!

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 3

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
A High Lift fits under the passenger seat and all you have to do is pop the lower rear seat base in and out. That keeps the weight low. For a tire I needed a 35" spare. Super Swamper makes a TSL 34x9.50x15 that is as tall as a 35 when aired all the way up so it will work as a spare for 33"-35" tires. That tire on a stockish rim is the tallest tire that will fit in the rear of an XJ while allowing the rear seat to be up and hatch closed. Again weight is low and centralized. I eat up some space (10" of the rear floor space) but gain easy access into the rear. Those heavy racks with a tire and jack puts a lot of weight up high and the tail wags the Jeep. Gas cans are for looks but I need them for the boat or dirt bikes I use so I toss a Scepter mill spec can in the back. They flat do not leak a single fume even in the AZ heat or Colorado altitude so are safe enough to use as a pillow. Of course if you think a heavy contraption that hangs up on the trail is needed for looks then diminish your center of gravity, your ability to see out the rear window, your departure angle, the handling, wind profile with a rack that screams " I'm an off roader".

Edit: I forgot to address your need for a reciever hitch. The rear unibody of an XJ flexes and can crack even more if you pull from a bumper. A regular receiver is much better because the unibody has factory mounting provisions along side of the gas tank instead of the bumper mounts. A receiver or bumper that ties into these points adds a lot of rigidity weather you tow or not especially with a rack. Basically make sure all the weight of that rack and the hitch is not just swinging on the bumper mounts. Use the factory tie ins for a receiver no matter which you go.

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Not trying to be a jerk but you mention that a swing out carrier reduces departure angle... you don't think a full on, stand alone receiver hitch doesn't??.

88Xj

Banned
I would go with the dirtbound cut & fold tire carrier. Extremely nice, very high clearence & quality. has hitch, slots for rock/back up lights. Max, (owner) is very local and does extremely good work & just moved out of his garage and into a full fledged shop. Thats where I'd spend my money!

And if you want certain details changed/added ect. He will gladly do it for ya. A buddy ordered his bumper without the rock light provisions & Max said no prob.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
A High Lift fits under the passenger seat and all you have to do is pop the lower rear seat base in and out. That keeps the weight low. For a tire I needed a 35" spare. Super Swamper makes a TSL 34x9.50x15 that is as tall as a 35 when aired all the way up so it will work as a spare for 33"-35" tires. That tire on a stockish rim is the tallest tire that will fit in the rear of an XJ while allowing the rear seat to be up and hatch closed. Again weight is low and centralized. I eat up some space (10" of the rear floor space) but gain easy access into the rear. Those heavy racks with a tire and jack puts a lot of weight up high and the tail wags the Jeep. Gas cans are for looks but I need them for the boat or dirt bikes I use so I toss a Scepter mill spec can in the back. They flat do not leak a single fume even in the AZ heat or Colorado altitude so are safe enough to use as a pillow. Of course if you think a heavy contraption that hangs up on the trail is needed for looks then diminish your center of gravity, your ability to see out the rear window, your departure angle, the handling, wind profile with a rack that screams " I'm an off roader".

Edit: I forgot to address your need for a reciever hitch. The rear unibody of an XJ flexes and can crack even more if you pull from a bumper. A regular receiver is much better because the unibody has factory mounting provisions along side of the gas tank instead of the bumper mounts. A receiver or bumper that ties into these points adds a lot of rigidity weather you tow or not especially with a rack. Basically make sure all the weight of that rack and the hitch is not just swinging on the bumper mounts. Use the factory tie ins for a receiver no matter which you go.

I hear you. I have made the decision to go back to 31's for a variety of reasons and will be putting afull size spare inside the rear cargo area. Have yet to work it out but figure I can rig up some kind of slide and have a platform over the top to maintain clean storage.

I did not know the hi lift would fit there, thanks for pointing that out.

The cans were mostly "in hopes" of needing them on some ill advised adventure... :)

John

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I built a nice aluminum platform over my tire but removed it. Now the cooler sits right on the tire perfectly without sliding. Under the wheel is room for jumper cables and a rain jacket and on top is the perfect round storage bin for a tow strap. Fwiw I gained a lot of space by removing the plastic side panels in the cargo area. It's amazing how much stuff can be stowed away in those wasted spaces and it's quite a handy spot.

88Xj

Banned
31's or 245/75's are nice!

If you are going back to 31's the factory carriers are great! I have a 28lbs steel wheel & a 31 with no issue! With a 33' I would try to use a light weight aluminum wheel. Otherwise it works wonders, also have my whip & high lift mounted on it!
A local is actually running a 35" tire and AR outlaw 2's which weigh around 17lbs, he has not had an issue with it breaking or anything...I'm sticking to my 31's as well:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal