XJ roof racks

CJ8Dave

Your right, it's a SURCO. I met with the founder who is a client and told him what I wanted to design. He just pulled out all the parts and I spent a few evenings putting it together.

I just returned from a week long trip with it really loaded and excellent results.

IMG_0928.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Thanks for reply. Just a few more questions....

Are the floor slats from Surco too?

Does each floor slat bolt to each gutter mounted cross member?

Really does look like you could land a helicopter on it.

thanks again, Dave

catfish

http://www.discountramps.com/roof-luggage-rack.htm
I was planning ordering this one.
I need to measure the roof still though.
I was thinking that the best way would be mod it and add cross members mounted to the gutters. that way it would tie it all together and make a little more rigid and hopefully support a spare tire up there.
My XJ originally came with an OEM swing out tire rack, but it was MIA when I got it and I haven't found one for it yet.

The page you linked shows half a dozen..... I have this one:
http://www.discountramps.com/roof-cargo-basket.htm

They're pretty well made. But you really need something better to mount it to than the stock cross bars. That's how mine is and it rattles a lot.

Make sure you check and recheck the size of the one you want. They tend to run on the small side.

If you have the means, get a cardboard box (or make one) the size of the rack you want and throw it up there to give you an idea what it will look like.

When I got mine it was waaaaayyy too small. I ended up quartering it and welding in some tube to make it 8" wider and 8" longer and I think it's still too short.

TOI

Web Adventurer
i ran a surco on my XJ, it worked great. but i never used it so i sold it.

IMAGE_076.jpg

IMAGE_077.jpg

i have something planned for the MJ's camper shell though :)

bldeagle10

Explorer
i want to make one that looks similar to a surco safari. aluminum. mesh flooring. full length gutter mount. so technically only two mounts that run the length of the gutter.. mounts for lights, hi lift, ax, shovel, spot for rtt. the necessities. next semester im taking welding so this may end up being a project.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Everything from SURCO

Thanks for reply. Just a few more questions....

Are the floor slats from Surco too?

Does each floor slat bolt to each gutter mounted cross member?

Really does look like you could land a helicopter on it.

thanks again, Dave

Everything came from SURCO. It all ties in rather well and is very rigid. I can put my 35" tire & rim, 2 tool boxes, 4 fuel cans, fire extinguisher, table, off road lights and then climb my 200 lb body on top and jump up and down and it hold firm like it's part of the unibody. If you send them the picture of the empty rack on the trail I posted before they should be able to pull the parts and send them to you.

Here are a two other pictures that might be helpful... the first is something you don't see everyday, the underside of a roof rack!

032.jpg

033.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:

dox

That is an outstanding Surco rack, Fred. Really nicely done, looks the part and all using Surco's own parts. Would have loved to have had something like that on my former XJ.

CJ8Dave

Everything came from SURCO. It all ties in rather well and is very rigid. I can put my 35" tire & rim, 2 tool boxes, 4 fuel cans, fire extinguisher, table, off road lights and then climb my 200 lb body on top and jump up and down and it hold firm like it's part of the unibody. If you send them the picture og the empty rack on the trail I posted before they shoulc be able to pull the parts and send them to you.

Here are a two other pictures that might be helpful... the first is something you don't see everyday, the underside of a roof rack!

032.jpg

033.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Very Impressive !

thank you for sharing your expertise.

Dave

aidenmc

Surco Safari Roof Rack 50x72 $447.00 $447.00

Surco Gutter Mount Adapter $69.00 x5 $345.00

Surco Spare Tire Carrier $106.00 $106.00

Surco Safari Crossbars 53 $84.00 x5 $420.00

Surco Safari Rack Floor Kit 50x72 $172.00 $172.00

$1,490.00

:Wow1:

katuah

Adventurer
Not to hijack this thread, but I just found out recently that JCR is no longer making their low-profile rack. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a lower-profile rack that will carry a spare?

-XJ-

Observer
2cy2wq8-1.jpg

Thats really the best shot I had of it.. Pretty sure I stole the thing at 75 bucks.. When I decided not to fix the XJ I should have kept it.. Fail on me cause well we all know how expensive roof racks can be

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Ive had a couple, my last of which is not really a rack, but certainly would hold some weight if it needed to.

The orginal held my RTT, and whatever I wanted to put in the front basket. Never had any issues with....gave it to a friend of mine.

DSCN1252.jpg

DSCN0608.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

The second is just my exo cage/light bar. I have learned to not put too much on the roof. Its a pain in the butt to get to, and its heavy.

IMG_20120131_114937.jpg

IMG_20120206_153619.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk