XJ roof racks

codybutz

Observer
I originally thought 1" as well. but I want the rack to look like it belongs on the xj. I see some of these racks and the diameter of the material just looks off. I was kinda thinking like 1 1/2" with a 3/16 wall thickness.

anybody know the material thickness on the store bought racks?

Don-Pero

Observer
thats my AfricanOutback RoofRack...

4632779.jpg

cjj98xj

Cheap rack I made. $35 in steel, a few hours, and it holds 300 pounds well enough. Low profile at 3" overall height. 3/4"x3/4"x.065 wall for the hoops and 1/2"x1/2"x.065 wall for the floor. I'm sure I'll get hate for not going gutter mount, but it serves it's purpose well enough. It'll mainly see sleeping bags, camp chairs, tent, etc.

Attachments

• IMG00004-20100621-2030.jpg
    IMG00004-20100621-2030.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 172

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Has anyone heard of a Tough Country rack for a Cherokee? I found one for sale locally but can't seem to find anything about it online...

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I was kinda thinking like 1 1/2" with a 3/16 wall thickness.

That'd be awful big, (1 1/2") and 3/16 wall would be way overkill, and heavy!

Most bumpers and skid plates are 3/16" thick, and on tubing, you'd have double that.

For reference, a lot of roll cages (and tube frame buggys) are made from 1 3/4", .120 wall tubing

.125 wall is equal to 1/8", and 3/16" wall would be .1875.

My guess is most racks would be around 1/16" or less (about .062 wall)
I know mine is very thin wall.

I have this one:

newjeepxj003-1.jpg

newjeepxj002-1.jpg

Carries the spare and Hi-Lift OK, but as mentioned earlier, the stock XJ racks aren't great for the weight. I'll be building a rack, with gutter mounts.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I've got a low profile rack from JCR Offroad. When not in use, it gives MINIMAL wind resistance. I'm planning to cut off the tire mount up top since I recently moved the tire to a swingout.

Pictures can be found HERE

bobDog

Expedition Leader
My rack was designed to land a helicopter on.....:sombrero::elkgrin::victory:

Or in my case 400 + lbs. It's made of aluminum.

March2007086.jpg

Thanks,

Fred
Explorer 1
Holy crap brother! That is one well supported rack. Do you find that the ole XJ flex's less since you mounted that?:yikes:

CJ8Dave

My rack was designed to land a helicopter on.....:sombrero::elkgrin::victory:

Or in my case 400 + lbs. It's made of aluminum.

March2007086.jpg

Thanks,

Fred
Explorer 1

Hi Fred,

I love that roof rack. Who made the Basket and supports. It looks like Surco's Aluminum Safari Rack. I'm very interested.

Dave

Steve F

Adventurer
Here's the one I made, I also have a roof basket to mount on it if I need something with sides. It's mainly for the RTT though.

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Who makes the rack....

Hi Fred,

I love that roof rack. Who made the Basket and supports. It looks like Surco's Aluminum Safari Rack. I'm very interested.

Dave

Your right, it's a SURCO. I met with the founder who is a client and told him what I wanted to design. He just pulled out all the parts and I spent a few evenings putting it together.

I just returned from a week long trip with it really loaded and excellent results.

IMG_0928.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

mudbutt

Explorer
I don't have one yet, but I plan on ordering one these.
Might have to reinforce the bottom with expanded metal.
http://www.discountramps.com/car-top-carriers-roof-racks.htm

The page you linked shows half a dozen..... I have this one:
http://www.discountramps.com/roof-cargo-basket.htm

They're pretty well made. But you really need something better to mount it to than the stock cross bars. That's how mine is and it rattles a lot.

Make sure you check and recheck the size of the one you want. They tend to run on the small side.

If you have the means, get a cardboard box (or make one) the size of the rack you want and throw it up there to give you an idea what it will look like.

When I got mine it was waaaaayyy too small. I ended up quartering it and welding in some tube to make it 8" wider and 8" longer and I think it's still too short.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk