Xterra by gophere

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'm not sure 2.5s up front are really necessary. I'm pretty sure the 2.0s would be able to keep up with bad washboards. I've heard nothing but good things about the 2.0 emulsion shocks for the rear though. I'm looking into those myself.

gophere

Adventurer
I'm not sure 2.5s up front are really necessary. I'm pretty sure the 2.0s would be able to keep up with bad washboards. I've heard nothing but good things about the 2.0 emulsion shocks for the rear though. I'm looking into those myself.
Yeah, I hear you on the 2.5s but in my defense I was originally thinking remotes from and rear. Wannabe desert racer all the way! jk.
Would like to do the upper control arms too but hear stuff about coil bucket contact and squeaking which I don't want to deal with. The added travel would be awesome though.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yeah, I hear you on the 2.5s but in my defense I was originally thinking remotes from and rear. Wannabe desert racer all the way! jk.
Would like to do the upper control arms too but hear stuff about coil bucket contact and squeaking which I don't want to deal with. The added travel would be awesome though.

Hahaha I hear that and can only think $$$!

You can get into 2.0 Radflos at OEM length without needing to add UCAs. 2" lift rides pretty nice, though shock top-out does happen occasionally. If you're worried about that, I'd do 1.5" of lift, but if you only want that much I'd just go with OME. If you want to avoid all issues with it, extended travel Radflo 2.0s and UCAs are the way to go. I've heard a bit about squeaking, but to be honest it seems the most common cause is a bunch of dirt in the CO. Just spray off the coilover every so often and it shouldn't be a problem.

jhberria

Adventurer
If you're just looking for a small lift and added weight bearing capability, I would recommend the OME setup. I ran the standard OME setup initially and I loved it, great ride off road and on. It also handled the washboards great, which I know is one of your big concerns. You won't need aftermarket UCAs with the OME coilovers, as there won't be CBC. If you do upgrade your UCAs, however, I can personally attest to the fact that SPCs are absolutely silent when installed correctly and properly greased with the provided grease. My only complaint with the SPCs is that I had to grind down the lip on my coil bucket to clear the ball joint boot after alignment.

gophere

Adventurer
If you're just looking for a small lift and added weight bearing capability, I would recommend the OME setup. I ran the standard OME setup initially and I loved it, great ride off road and on. It also handled the washboards great, which I know is one of your big concerns. You won't need aftermarket UCAs with the OME coilovers, as there won't be CBC. If you do upgrade your UCAs, however, I can personally attest to the fact that SPCs are absolutely silent when installed correctly and properly greased with the provided grease. My only complaint with the SPCs is that I had to grind down the lip on my coil bucket to clear the ball joint boot after alignment.
I wanted to lift it up originally and now don't care as much. More concerned with with being able to move a little faster on the gravel and rock roads and I've added a lot of weight to it so the rear end bottoms out alittle. Straight offroad stuff everything seem to work great.
Ome stuff is great but I did run their shocks on my old xj and had the same issues that I'm trying to correct with the shocks fading pretty fast.
I think the extra oil capacity and rebuildable aspect of the radflow will push me in that direction.
Good to hear about the ucas. I am really think of just jumping all in on the
NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit. This with the OME standard rear springs and Radflo 2.0s.
Thinking I should be able to set the front to match the 1.5-2in rear spring lift. Then I'll have alittle lift, alittle more wheel travel up front, and will be able to handle the weight better.

Would there be any issue running NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit with the front coils at like 1.5 to 2in? Or are you supposed to run them at 3 with the uca?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I wanted to lift it up originally and now don't care as much. More concerned with with being able to move a little faster on the gravel and rock roads and I've added a lot of weight to it so the rear end bottoms out alittle. Straight offroad stuff everything seem to work great.
Ome stuff is great but I did run their shocks on my old xj and had the same issues that I'm trying to correct with the shocks fading pretty fast.
I think the extra oil capacity and rebuildable aspect of the radflow will push me in that direction.
Good to hear about the ucas. I am really think of just jumping all in on the
NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit. This with the OME standard rear springs and Radflo 2.0s.
Thinking I should be able to set the front to match the 1.5-2in rear spring lift. Then I'll have alittle lift, alittle more wheel travel up front, and will be able to handle the weight better.

Would there be any issue running NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit with the front coils at like 1.5 to 2in? Or are you supposed to run them at 3 with the uca?

Nope, shouldn't have any problems.

seanpool

Her man check out PRG products if you haven't yet they specialize in Nissan and have amazing customer service somewhere Nisstech falls short unfortunately. They really know there stuff and will usually match or beat Nisstech on price. Owners name is Greg and he really know his stuff helped me out more then once. Also where did you get the molle rear window thing?

gophere

Adventurer
Her man check out PRG products if you haven't yet they specialize in Nissan and have amazing customer service somewhere Nisstech falls short unfortunately. They really know there stuff and will usually match or beat Nisstech on price. Owners name is Greg and he really know his stuff helped me out more then once. Also where did you get the molle rear window thing?
Thanks for the info and welcome! I have them bookmarked already along with nisstech. When I finally get down to ordering I'm going to call them both with my list of wants and questions. Whoever sets me straight will get my money.

It's going to be sooner than later as the rear is bottoming out more and more when loaded down with gear(which is always).

Moller panel is made by hepsdesign and sold by xterraperformance.com. great spot for jackets, straps, and quick access stuff.

seanpool

Thanks or the 411 on the Panel. I use to use nisstech because they're right down the street from me. So I wouldn't have to pay for shipping (that saved me a lot on my front ARB) but after I told Greg (The owner of PRG) that I was planing on buying something from them because they had everything I needed in one place and at a good price. Greg informed me that he also had everything I was looking to pick up but that he just doesn't list everything he sells online (for whatever reason?). Anyway after everything was said and done Greg gave me everything 20% cheaper then nisstech and paid the shipping. He's Awesome cant say enough good things about the guy He knows his trucks and cares about his customers. When you call make sure and talk to Greg although I don't think I've ever talked to anyone else there? A little Bates motel hhmmm? :)

gophere

Adventurer
Got some locking storage for the roof in the former of an atv box bolted to the floor of the roof rack.
e45281ad6c2dbbff488793e79cc158bb.jpg

4483b0b36e6051c17d184a9192adc5df.jpg

It's not very heavy duty but was the right size and serves me well. Drove through a down pour and everything is dry so it works!
I'm trying to keep the height of everything on the rack as low as possible. This guy only sticks up a few inches.
Ran into some issues with my rear tire carrier. Apparently I should have been greasing the brass bushings. Well I didn't and the are more or less gone after 6 months.
I'm getting free replacements from the manufacturer so shouldn't be an issue for long. Guess the washboard and babyhead roads took their toll on it.
83ce9957478c582c742c8f9c9d8c4509.jpg

Other than that haven't been out driving much except to trail heads for hikes.

Did run the Bighole Valley for a week. One of my favorite spots.
ac7dff4e1c00ac250a30105c131891b2.jpg

8db7bedf30677862ac48c291e48ed657.jpg

05aebbf3683a54779b1624f50f83f526.jpg

89e60f16d647c77a9885f476a12f1a26.jpg

53645a5cf864e850cb1bc53c31949266.jpg

94a4a272ea5d7391858734303e233ede.jpg

But mostly been out hiking with the dog
b7e9a2f0e6e6cae7f340fda7cc186252.jpg

0e1d3d3bd1b991bd262cc24bd8dffec2.jpg

16789ec39f265fe7247752ef36432df7.jpg

097fae3900db13561c7359e130665934.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That roof box looks pretty slick. I like it.

Looks like you've still been getting out go some cool places though. That's what it's all about!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice build, I hadn't noticed it until now. I have the same roof ATV box, I replaced the strut with a length of chain instead because it seemed to get in the way more than help. Is that brass bushing rusting away? I can't quite tell from the pic?

gophere

Adventurer
Nice build, I hadn't noticed it until now. I have the same roof ATV box, I replaced the strut with a length of chain instead because it seemed to get in the way more than help. Is that brass bushing rusting away? I can't quite tell from the pic?
Hey thanks!

I don't know if it's rusting or just getting pulverized. I'll know more next week when I pull it off. Good idea with the chain as the strut does take up a lot of room.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven