Xterra vs Pathfinder - Why Isn't the R51 More Popular As An Expo Rig?

reds12t

Observer
I currently have a V8 R51. While relatively rare, when I decided I wanted one, there were a few to choose from in my area. Parts have been easy to source, inexpensive, and I have found it easy to work on. While I love many of the features (like the heated steering wheel) and the torque of the V8, I do have some gripes with the R51. Out of the box the articulation/travel is poor, the rear springs are terribly soft, the cargo area is not as big as you think, the cargo area tie downs are not very sturdy, the third row seats are unusable for adults, and I don't find the brakes all that great. Most of these can be addressed fairly easily and overall it's comfortable and capable of mild terrain.

To make it more capable, there is an expanding aftermarket. You can get quality parts like Radflo, ARB, PRG, and there are multiple options bumpers and sliders. Plenty of parts to make it a better off roader.

All that being said, the real reason I bought mine was it had a V8. I like that it's a small SUV with a big motor, that it is unrefined in its power delivery, and that it feels like the chassis can't quite keep up. It reminds me a bit of my stage 3 Audi S4, and I like that. Unlike my previous AWD SUVs, I enjoy that I can turn off the traction control and keep it in 2wd to have some tire smoking fun. If those things aren't important to your driving experience, then I think there are better platforms out there. In fact I have almost traded my R51 in multiple times for higher powered, or more capable SUV's, but they just weren't as fun to drive.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
The love my R51, as far as offloading I have been super impressed. I was able to navigate overland expo east this year on highway tires. I plan on a mild build, beach cruising, road trips and some trials. I have the v6 and as for mpg I got 23 on the was home TN to MD driving 70ish. Once I got home "city" driving (rual country roads mainly) I was getting 19-20. Now with my mud terrains, 32", I have dropped to 17.5 normally around town. Tire pressure is super important for mpg now. But basic modifications are available, lift, skid plates, rock rails, bumpers, etc are all out there.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Neither SUV would be a good option for world travel. Sure the R51 is a world platform but the 4.0 / V8 is not.

The other major advantage of the R51 over Xterra is payload weight. 3rd row of seats means Nissan has to include an extra 300 lbs of payload capacity. IIRC the R51 actually exceeds the D40 for payload by about 50 lbs, and exceeds the N50 by at least 200 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

nasko

Adventurer
Actually the 4.0 litre is available in Europe. There are not that many, but there are some. I am sure that parts could be found in South America as well. Plus this motor is pretty strong, I would say even buletproof if the timing chain guides are serviced. Anyhow, to each their own, my opinion is that the Pathfinder is definitely a great platform when rock crawling is not the goal.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Another point about world engine issues us that it is a VQ (350z) engine. It just have a longer stroke. So most parts should be available.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I think the R51 will make a good travel vehicle as long as the off road sections are pretty mellow. As others have said the main limitations are the clearance and suspension travel. It is very comfortable and roomy, and gets decent mileage as well. That's why we decided to get one as a backup to our Titan. The 4x4 system can use some improvement as well. Lokka does make a locker for the front that folks seem to think works well, and word is they have plans to release one for the rear soon. That will make a big difference off road. We've done a few mild upgrades to ours, airbags in the rear to firm up the suspension, a brushguard to mount a pair of Hellas on, a Tekonsha brake controller, and a good set of Cooper ATPs in the size Nissan used on the offroad version. We've only had it 6 or 7 months but really like it so far.

LesterB

DEDITTRKFLX2.jpg

They're capable enough, and if the 4.0 pops abroad, a 2.5 swap can't be that difficult!

LesterB

It'll be as awesome as that Fronty, eventually! Triplesnake, you should! They deserve a snorkel! It's just a 3" hole! And lots of silicon. The articulation really isn't that bad. The rock I'm on isn't tiny, and my suspension is stock, just without swaybars. I am locked front and back, so it will go anywhere the tire size will allow (31" HTs here, 33" MTs as soon as I pick up some wheels for them. 37's if I start dreaming about full Titan swaps. What's welding a couple spring mounts? And ditching the mechs for ARBs. And swapping in the VK56. May as well supercharge that. Gonna need a real transfer case. Too bad my budget is about $3.50.). ��

cparcell

Observer
Although we do not have a newer model we do have 2 03 xterra SC 4x4. With lift, gear, roof rack, on 33 inch tires we get 22mpg on flat land and around 18 on hilly terrain. This is not common. We have done several mods. Water injection, intake filter upgrade, full headers to true duals, on general grabber at2. It has never left us stranded, has a factory lsd in the back, with seats down we sleep amazing in the back (I'm 6 1). When at home my family of 4 fits perfect in it, he added roof hump makes me be able to sit in the back comfortably. We absolutely love it after coming from toyotas. I have spent a lot of time in the pathfinder of ever model. They are very nice for inner city and country soccer mom's but they are far less robust in a off road vehicle status.

LesterB

I think my truck was just called a soccer mom driven family hauler. o_O My little girl doesn't even play soccer! Yet. Now I have to find some videos of it on two or three wheels, just to prove our masculinity. Thanks, skibum!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I think my truck was just called a soccer mom driven family hauler. o_O My little girl doesn't even play soccer! Yet. Now I have to find some videos of it on two or three wheels, just to prove our masculinity. Thanks, skibum!

We need MOAR PICS! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach