Yaesu ft-2900

4x4mike

Adventurer
I would say they are the same. In the manual of the 8800 it says that the receive maybe be weaker when running both sides of the radio. I don't know how to turn off a side, not sure you can, but most of my use is one side at a time. Left might be regular TX and RX with the right side muted or monitoring something else. If there is interference with the, say right side, I'll tune it to something that is quiet.

There are quite a few differences between the 2800/2900 and the 8800 so I'd look through the features and go from there.

lugueto

Adventurer
I'm halfway through installing a new 2900, should be done tomorrow. I'll test it, then report back!

4x4junkie

Explorer
I would say they are the same. In the manual of the 8800 it says that the receive maybe be weaker when running both sides of the radio. I don't know how to turn off a side, not sure you can, but most of my use is one side at a time.

I seem to recall that as well, I think it only applies if you're using both sides on the same band (receiving two VHF or 2M freqs as an example). If one side is on VHF and the other UHF, then no loss of sensitivity. That said, I hadn't noticed any degradation myself using both sides on the same band.
For sure you can turn one side off though, it's in the settings menu (probably "sub dsp", "sub bnd" or something like that, I'd have to go look at it again)... I recall the settings were the default dual-receive mode, a voltage display (batt or B+), or none/off. The last two settings operate as single-receive modes.

Appreciate the info.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
In the FT-8800 Menu #12 DSP.SUB. The default is FREQ, which enables the sub band receiver. If you select CWID, DC-IN or OFF the sub band receiver is disabled and you have a single band radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad