[YEAR 7!] Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/107.html on September 14th, 2013

map107-L.jpg

Ok, enough writing, let's do some riding.

We are leaving Antigua on a road trip! Leaving behind our tent, sleeping bags and half our clothing behind in the B&B, we are setting off for the Guatemalan highlands. Before the trip, I installed a new rear tire - I'm trying out a Heidenau K60 Scout, which is supposed to be better for dirt/gravel roads. They didn't have Neda's size in stock, so we ordered one from the US and we're going to install it next week when it arrives in the country. In the meantime, she's going to ride around the muddy rainy season on a half-bald tire because she's hardcore that way!

DSCN0028-L.jpg

Leaving Antigua before sunrise... *yawn*

We are awake at 5AM to try to beat both the rush hour towards Guatemala City and also to try to get some riding done before the rains catch up to us in the afternoon. We fail on both counts. We depart in an unusual morning shower, and the 45km commute towards the capital city takes us over 2 hours! And this is even with splitting lanes and taking to the shoulder, while dodging trucks, chicken buses and other motorists.

DSCN0059-L.jpg

Part of our journey takes us through Coban, where Neda's sleeping bag got stolen off her motorcycle a few months ago. Here she dives into a crowded market, hoping to find the thief that stole her sleeping bag...

DSCN0086-L.jpg

Neda really liked riding through these tall cornfields

DSCN0102-L.jpg

Fire burning at the side of the road in a small village

Past Coban, we are treated to beautiful twisty roads through the mountains of the Alta Verapaz department. The rain has let up a bit, but the light fog sometimes darken so we don our rainsuits just in case. And as all motorcyclists know, if you put your rainsuit on early, it will never rain. The warm humid temperature creates a mini-sauna inside our rainsuits and we are as wet inside with perspiration as if it rained anyway - the stench from weeks of built-up sweat on our riding suits is becoming unbearable...

DSCN0107-L.jpg

DSCN0112-L.jpg

Beautiful views of the valley below and layers of mountains in the distance

DSCN0127-L.jpg

The gravelly road to Lanquin

We turn off from the blacktop of the main highway towards Lanquin. The road turns into a loose gravel path that leads down into the valley. The views are amazing, but the descent is unnervingly steep. Neda seems to be negotiating just fine with her old rear tire and my bike feels good as well - but I think it has more to do with the excess luggage I jettisoned in Antigua than the new rear tire.

DSCN0132-L.jpg

Lush green valleys just a steep drop away

DSCN0143-L.jpg

Lots of logging in the area, we had to squeeze past some logging trucks.

The road to Lanquin is too narrow at most points for two trucks to pass by each other, so either one has to wait or reverse to a wider spot to give each other space to pass. Squeezing past one with the steep drop on the right is very nerve-wracking! After about an hour of gravel, we reach the small town and book a dorm room at El Retiro, a nice camp/hostel by the river.

DSC_0862-XL.jpg

Neda is lounging around at El Retiro

The next morning we book a tour of Semuc Champey, which is the primary reason why tourists come to visit this area. It turned out to be quite a full days worth of sights and activities, visiting different sites around Lanquin.

DSC_8335-L.jpg

Our guide took us to the head of the river where we inner-tubed down the rapids

DSCF0173-L.jpg

Then we all lit candles and hiked into the pitch black darkness of an underwater cave

DSCF0188-L.jpg

Guy behind me is checking to see if he has signal underground. Answer: "Nope"

This cave totally reminded me of the horror movie "The Descent". Our guide painted all our faces native-style with grease from the cave-walls. The hike becomes quite claustrophobic at times, the walls sometimes narrowing so you have to squeeze yourself through to the next cavern. The water in here comes from a subterranean spring and there are many elevation changes as we climb up to meet the source, battling through mini waterfalls and sometimes swimming through deep pools, trying to keep your candle above the water.

DSCF0197-L.jpg

Candles were often extinguished by the hike/swim, so we took many stops to relight our candles from the ones that were still lit.

DSCF0237-XL.jpg

There is absolutely no other light besides our candles...

DSCF0245-XL.jpg

Hikers become swimmers, our candles are our most prized possession

DSCF0254-L.jpg

A cave monster

At the end of the cave, we reach the mouth of the underwater spring. It's a powerful waterfall that flows back down and it's a dead-end so we hike/wade/swim with the current back to the entrance of the cave. We spent over an hour in the total darkness and it was such a wonderful caveman-like experience!

Grace... is not my middle name...

Outside, more water activities awaited us, inner-tubing and swinging out into the river. We were really impressed with how organized everything was. Our tour group was made up of many Israeli tourists and we made fast friends with them, joking around and getting to know them as we hiked to a scenic viewpoint high atop Semuc Champey. Apparently September is when all of Israel goes on vacation and Guatemala seems to be quite a popular destination. Most of the Israelis did not know each other prior to this trip. And every single one of them was on their honeymoon!

DSC_8385-L.jpg

Semuc Champey is a series of stepped pools of turquoise waters

DSC_8377-L.jpg

The Guatemalans boast that this is the "Eighth Wonder of the World”. You can see people swimming in the pools, to give you an idea of the scale.

DSC_8381-XL.jpg

Waterfalls of all sizes spill water from one step to another

DSC_8401-L.jpg

Lizard watches us hike back down to the river

DSC_8407-L.jpg

Happy tourists

DSC_8440-L.jpg

Swimming in Semuc Champey

Semuc Champey means "The water hides beneath the earth" in Mayan. The steps that we are swimming in are actually part of a limestone bridge where the Cahabon river is running underneath us. A little bit of the river makes it above the limestone bridge and that's what forms the turquoise pools and mini waterfalls. The Semuc Champey "bridge" is about 300m long, and our guide takes us swimming the entire length of it, gliding down natural stone slides worn smooth by the running water. At the end of Semuc Champey, a huge waterfall falls off the limestone shelf to meet the Cahabon river underneath it.

So glad that we saw this, it's one of the highlights of our time in Guatemala!

IMG_1256-XL.jpg

Yael, one of our new friends gives us a gift to remember our experience

Apart from the wonderful scenery and amazing tour and activities around Semuc Champey, we are really glad to have met our Israeli friends. We spent a couple of days with them, sharing travel stories, and I learned a little bit of their culture and some Hebrew as well, so now I can butcher a brand new language! Such an enriching experience all around!

Tomorrow is September 15th, which is the Guatemalan Independence Day. So we say goodbye to our new friends, as we're heading back to Coban to see if we can catch some of the festivities!

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/108.html on September 15th, 2013

map108-L.jpg

We are headed back to the town of Coban to see if we can catch some Independence Day celebrations!

DSC_0865-L.jpg

Flag features the national bird, a Quetzal, holding a scroll with the date of independence from Spain

It's a funny thing trying to time motorcycle travel in the Central American rainy season. Because the rain falls in the early afternoon and overnight, you can't leave too early in the morning or the roads will still be wet. But you can't leave too late or you risk run into developing rain clouds.

So we're timing our departure from Lanquin late enough that the dirt roads will be dry from the morning sun, but we'll still have time to arrive in Coban before rains start up again.

DSCN0157-L.jpg

Gene: "What happened?"
Neda: "Dunno. I just found it like this..."

DSCN0166-L.jpg

Impromptu Guatemalan group ride!

DSCN0167-L.jpg

These guys were all going into town to celebrate. Lots of honking and waving from every truck we passed!

DSC_8549-L.jpg

The old and the new in Coban: Cathedral and a... um, flying saucer...

DSC_8533-L.jpg

Preparing for the 2248 Winter Olympics

Every year, on September 14th - the day before Independence Day - a torch is lit in Antigua, the old capital city of Guatemala. Runners from all over Guatemala light their own torches from this one and begin running back to their home town, passing the torch to other runners who continue until they reach their destination by the 15th. It's a pretty cool Independence Day tradition and I'm glad we caught a glimpse of it!

DSC_8471-L.jpg

I have a big sign on my photographic equipment that reads, "HamCam"...

Drummers dressed in the national colours

DSC_8522-L.jpg

Locals checking out the festivities

DSC_8540-L.jpg

Women's parade celebrating Independence Day

DSC_8589-L.jpg

El Calvario church, popular tourist spot in Coban

130 steps above the city sits El Cavario church, where we caught a great view of Coban from up high. Most of the religious ceremonies in the city are performed here. Legend has it that a Mayan hunter saw two jaguars sleeping in this spot. He didn't kill them, but left them alone and when he returned the next day, he saw a vision of Christ at the same spot.

DSC_8606-L.jpg

Church staff prepare for the fiesta with an old-fashioned smoke machine

DSC_8577-L.jpg

Virgin Mary and child inside El Calvario

DSC_8566-L.jpg

These girls were all dressed the same, they were getting ready to carry a parade float down all 130 steps to the city.

DSC_8601-XL.jpg

Devotion candles lit outside the church

DSC_8608-L.jpg

Takin' a break...

The Guatemalans know how to carry on having a party. We only lasted a couple of hours walking around town listening to marching bands and watching dancers and seeing religious ceremonies being performed. When we got back to our hotel, the afternoon rains kicked in, but that didn't stop the party - music, cars honking and fireworks carried on until the late hours of the night. Awesome!

joeyabisa

Adventurer
Awesome thread. Thank you for all the photos and keeping us up on your great adventure. I hope to someday venture to some of the places you guys have been. It won't be on a bike but I hope to drive on at least some of those same roads and trails. Taking notes... BTW, if you guys ever find yourselves passing through Washington DC, you have a place to stay. I have a backyard you can keep your bikes and I have tools! ;)

Thanks for the offer, joeyabisa!

As for travel by bike or by any other means, it doesn't matter as long as you're out there experiencing it!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Gene, me again. Been following along but am a bit confused on dates and such?? You keep saying Sept, yet the post are current- am I missing something?
Reason I ask is we are a month from departure to Belize and travel right where you are now- or is it Sept? Anyway, if you are in need of anything, let me know as we will be in that area in 4 weeks.
Keep up the thread and pics- loving it!!
Cheers

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/109.html on September 17th, 2013

map109-L.jpg

From Coban, we are going to be journeying westwards through the mountainous department of Quiche - not named after the food, it's pronounced Kee-Chay after the Mayan dialect Ki'Che' so popular in this region. And there's no quiche in this entry either...

IMG_2765-L.jpg

No drybag and topcase means less weight on the back of the bike. Mac and Cheese and Huevos con Salsa means more weight in the middle of the bike...

DSCN0175-L.jpg

Single-lane construction zone, uphill in the dirt, facing an oncoming bus too large to squeeze past...

DSCN0176-L.jpg

...So we pull off into the shoulder and my bike is so wide I have to lean it to the right to give the bus 2 inches to pass *gahhh*

DSCN0184-L.jpg

Half of the roads we are doing are unpaved, good chance to try out my new Heidenau rear

DSCN0192-L.jpg

Neda threads her way through a road carved out of the mountainside

DSC_848-L.jpg

The Quiche department is dominated by the Sierra de los Cuchamatanes - the largest non-volcanic mountain-range in Central America

DSCN0236-L.jpg

Making trax...

DSCN0253-L.jpg

We are climbing up twisty roads towards Nebaj

The paved roads towards Nebaj are heavenly, first-gear switchbacks climbing high into the mountains. However, we are puzzled by two different kinds of logos painted on rocks, mountainsides and everywhere along the side of the road - blue "Todos" and red "Lider". We find out later that it's two political parties and there's either an election coming up or one has just passed.

DSCN0261-L.jpg

Asking for directions to Acul - Neda trys out her Ki'Che'

Speaking of languages, I have a new Spanish teacher - Neda. We do lessons over the communicator while riding. Along with verb conjugation I am also learning how to swear at Chicken Buses en Espanol. In these roads up here in the mountains, it's best not to ride too close to the centre line while apexing, as oncoming cars and buses regularly cross the line.

DSCN0270-L.jpg

Moo-ving right along...

DSCN0271-L.jpg

The scenery here becomes very European-alpine-countryside

DSC_8790-L.jpg

Pulling into our destination for the next couple of nights

DSC_8723-L.jpg

Bungalows in the background - ours is the one in the middle

As per Julio's recommendation, we're relaxing in a great little cheese farm outside of Acul called Mil Amores (Spanish for a Thousand Loves). It's such a bucolic setting, very quiet save for the soft ka-tunkle of the bells tied around the cows and goats. A nice place to just kick back, relax and enjoy the surroundings, and the food is fresh from the farm - cheese and beans served during every meal. Did I mention we are both a little bit lactose intolerant? After every meal, our little bungalow rocks with the sounds of two-stroke motorcycles... *BRAAAAP*

DSC_8689-L.jpg

I never thought Guatemala could look like this - everything is so lush from the Guatemalan winter rains

The region around Nebaj and Acul is like the Guatemalan version of the Alps. In fact, the farm was settled in the 1930s by a family of Italian artisan cheese makers who honed their craft in the Swiss alps, and searched the Americas for a similar place - high altitudes, eternal green grass. Looks like they found it.

DSC_8702-L.jpg

Wine, and a little fuel for our two-strokes

DSC_8729-L.jpg

Afternoon rains give our bikes a bit of a wash

DSC_8733-XL.jpg

We are timing our travels well during the rainy season

DSC_8739-L.jpg

Warm and dry inside the kitchen with a Kindle, a candle and a hot cup of tea

DSC_8741-L.jpg

Outside, the farm's dog guards our motos - his snoring is louder than our two-strokes

DSC_8711-L.jpg

Neda contemplating Blue Angels

It was such a great relaxing couple of days and we're now ready to hit the road again!

Been following along but am a bit confused on dates and such?? You keep saying Sept, yet the post are current- am I missing something?

Hi, we started this trip in June 2012 and I only recently found this forum, so I've been copying the posts from our blog almost every day since joining here with the hopes of synchronizing the blog and this forum to make it real-time.

The date of the blog post is at the top of each message and I have links to our blog on all the entries and my signature however not many people click on links, so I thought I'd just repost everything here. I don't believe in advertising on our blog, so I don't really care about driving traffic to it. So whether people read our blog posts here or there, doesn't matter to me.

We have about 10 years worth of trips posted our blog, over 30 countries and 5 different continents, so when people do click on it, it's kind of overwhelming. At least this way, if you read a blog post every day, it's not like drinking from a firehose!

Anyway, we're currently in Colombia, if you want to read the latest posts, it's here: http://www.RideDOT.com/

Wainiha

Explorer
What? You've been doing this 10 years? Did I misunderstand or do I need to catch up on reading one of the best overland stories?

Before this trip we used to spend all our vacation time on motorcycle travel. Over the last 10 years, I've documented everything from fly-n-ride long weekend trips to Key West, Four Corners & LA canyon carving to month-long treks across Western Europe, the Indian Himalayans, New Zealand and Iceland.

This last two year journey is just the latest and longest.

Last edited:
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/110.html on September 20th, 2013

map110-L.jpg

After a restful two days at Mil Amores, we are ready to hit the road once again, heading south through the Guatemalan Highlands, rolling through the smooth pavement switching back up and down the mountains. Along the way we pass small towns and even smaller villages.

DSCN0284-L.jpg

Pausing in traffic to window shop at the roadside tiendas (stalls) selling food and refreshments

DSCN0286-L.jpg

What's the holdup?

We tiptoe on the dirt shoulder, past a lineup of stopped chicken buses. Passengers are grabbing their belongings off the buses and abandoning them, walking further ahead. There is lots of confusion at the roadblock, drivers and pedestrians give us conflicting information: "You can't pass, turn back!", "Take this stony road that goes into the jungle to get to the otherside".

DSCN0288-L.jpg

When we get past the front, we see the road has fallen away into the valley below. Oops.

In the end, we followed another biker as he pushed his way past people on the sidewalk. That turned out to be the correct call and we're back on the road again, leaving the stranded trucks and chicken buses fuming impatiently on the other side!

Ah, the pitfalls (literally) of riding through the Guatemalan winter.

DSCN0293-L.jpg

Passing through colourful, mystical arches

My bike is not doing well with the regular gas I am feeding her. Lots of engine pinging in the low revs while climbing up the hills in the past few days, and I have to keep the revs high in order to keep her from complaining too loudly. As we near our destination of Panajachel, I treat her with some premium drink. I glance at the bill and shake my head - she's dining a lot better than I am.

Perhaps she goes back on a diet when we reach flatter terrain. Her and I, both!

DSC_8898-L.jpg

Panajachel, down by Lake Atitlan

We checked into the same hostel that we stayed in the first time, the one with the parrot security guard. I had a little conversation with our feathered friend. I've provided some subtitles.

Bloody bird speaks more Spanish than I do. FML.

It's very interesting walking around Pana almost 6 months since the last time we visited. We are really getting to see this place and the country in two different seasons. The streets are bare of tourists and the late morning sky already darkens with imminent rain clouds every day, obscuring the tops of the volcanoes surrounding Lake Atitlan.

DSC_8803-L.jpg

We take a day-trip by water-taxi to San Marcos, on the other side of the lake

Part of the reason why we are staying a couple of days in Panajachel is because this was the last place we were before we had to abandon our leisurely pace to rush through Central America. We missed out on all the little Mayan towns and villages dotting the shores of Lake Atitlan, some of which are only accessible by water because of the volcanoes surrounding the lake.

DSC_8821-L.jpg

Some really swanky digs built along the shores and slopes of the mountains surrounding Lake Atitlan

DSC_8827-XL.jpg

Big business along the shores of the lake

There is a public ferry that shuttles travelers from town to town on the lake, it only costs Q25 (about $3). However, private boats offer faster, more direct service for a higher fee. We watched as they filled their seats with their sales pitches to impatient tourists. One well-dressed Frenchman dished out Q200 ($25). He sat in the boat and waited angrily as the captain kept lowering his price to fill all the seats on the boat. Other tourists bargained down to Q100 ($13). We waited till the very last minute before the public ferry was to arrive and scored seats for Q50 ($6) each!

The French guy was livid!

DSC_8829-L.jpg

Walking around "downtown" San Marcos

San Marcos is a very small Mayan village where yoga retreats and alternative medicine centres have inexplicably sprung up. It felt weird walking the narrow dirt paths between closely packed buildings offering gourmet health food and boutique hotels, squeezing past western women in Lululemon yoga gear, sweaty from a morning session of Downward Dirty Dogs and Cameltoe Poses.

DSC_8846-L.jpg

Sanity returned as we left the Dharma Initiative complex

Outside the Fruity Yoga centre, we spent more time strolling through the real San Marcos. Children had just broke from school and were running and playing in the streets. We got quite a workout walking up and down the very steep hills of the town, peeking into buildings to get a glimpse of what life is like here.

DSC_8860-L.jpg

The higher we got, the better view we got of the lake

DSC_8884-L.jpg

Public ferry back to Panajachel

We thought we did so well negotiating with the private boat. We found out that the actual public ferry didn't take much longer and it was exactly the same kind of boat, but this one had a roof. It docked at another site just outside of Panajachel and cost Q20, not Q25! This was what the locals took! Those private boats were making a killing!

IMG_2795-XL.jpg

Tight, but scenic exit from our hostel parking spot
No flowers were hurt leaving Panajachel

This was a great week-long road trip touring around the Guatemalan mountains, some entertaining dual-sport roads and lots of tight, twisty asphalt. There are a couple of ways to get back to Antigua, the main PanAmerican highway, and shorter way that looked pretty good on the GPS - lots of switchbacks and more mountainous scenery. We asked a local on the way out which was better. He said the "shortcut" was less time, but was less "secure" (seguridad).

Less secure, like in bandits? We didn't quite understand. But seeing how it was the middle of the day, we thought we'd chance it. So off we went...

DSCN0300-L.jpg

This is what "less secure" means. We rode though broken roads, some washed completely away.
Neda is testing to see where the lowest point in the river was to cross.

DSC_8906-L.jpg

Aiming the bike, ready to point and shoot

Married couples often develop an understanding of the things they say to each other, and the things they really mean. Here is an example:

Neda: You go first.
Translation: (You go first so if you fall, I know where not to go.)

Gene: Yes, dear.
Translation: (Yes, dear.)

DSC_8914-L.jpg

Guatemalan Bike Wash

A local helps direct Neda through the water crossing

takesiteasy

Adventurer
This is one of the most enjoyable trip threads that I have read. The combination of photos, information, humor and insights is very entertaining. I look forward to new posts every day. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

QPDO

Observer
This is one of the most enjoyable trip threads that I have read. The combination of photos, information, humor and insights is very entertaining. I look forward to new posts every day. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Ditto! Not to mention, it was this thread I showed my extremely skeptical girlfriend when I told her about overlanding trips down the Pan-Am. Now she's stoked about the idea and we're beginning the planning stage! Your aforementioned pictures/information/humor is what sold her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner