Yes it's an FG

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hope the pics work. My first post. Sorry I'm still finding my way around a a little. Anyway this is a turbo FG we built a few years ago. I think it was an '03 model. It was really maxed out with options. Remote control everything.

Have only done a couple of these on FG chassis but are really keen to do a on of these bodies on FSS 550 Isuzu or similiar size chassis. The cab has been cut off at the windscreen and just behind your feet. Alot of work but the front seats rotate and become part of the living area so it ends up as a walk thru interior. Also the fuel consumption is pretty good too so maybe the aerodynamics had something to do with that.

Have plenty more pics if you want.

ThomD

Explorer
whatcharterboat said:
Have plenty more pics if you want.

YES YES YES! More photos, technical details, cool shots in far flung lands, etc. Please.

In the words of my wife, "WOW!"

DAJA

Observer
That thing is amazing! Excuse my ignorance but what is an FG? I've never seen anything like that.. More pictures and info please!

ThomD

Explorer
DAJA said:
That thing is amazing! Excuse my ignorance but what is an FG? I've never seen anything like that.. More pictures and info please!

FG is Mitsubishi's line of 4X4 (or is that 6X6 with the duallies?) medium duty commercial trucks.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Please, Sir, may I have some more . . .:bowdown:

Don't suppose we can buy one of these, can we?

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome whatcharterboat!

The vehicle in the photos is the "Conqueror," made by All Terrain Warriors of Yandina, Queensland, Australia. The Conqueror is not imported to USA at this point. whatcharterboat, are you the owner of the Conqueror, or are you connected with All Terrain Warriors? Or both!

More information about the Conqueror here:

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=28

The first Conqueror was constructed on the Australian version of the Fuso FG medium-duty truck chassis. The chassis was highly modified: frame lengthened, suspension replaced, tires upgraded.

Download a PDF file of the Conqueror brochure here:

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/images/stories/WarriorConquerorBrochure.pdf

The PDF has an interesting chart comparing the features of Fuso, Isuzu and MAN medium-duty 4x4 trucks. With the exception of the Fuso, none are imported to USA, unfortunately.

After reading the web pages, I think that a larger chassis with higher weight capacity would be a better platform for the Conqueror than the Fuso FG. Since North America doesn't import the Isuzu and MAN 4x4 vehicles mentioned in the PDF, we're stuck with an aftermarket upgrade. Darrin Fink adds 4x4 to the Fuso FM chassis, and Pioneer 4 Wheel Drive Truck adds 4x4 to Nissan UD models.

All Terrain Warriors sells several overland adventure RVs and 4x4 buses. Warriors built the vehicle that Kym Bolton used on his 25,000 km trip across Asia and Europe last year.

Chip Haven

whatcharterboat

More pics

Sorry Will send more pics but have to make them small enough to send. Maybe tonight.

whatcharterboat

More pics

Hi. Yer I know the 42" plasma is a bit much but the owner is a fan of Halo so we hardwiered in a Xbox (modified to 300 gig). The bifold at the rear leads to the shower/toilet. It also has a folding crane/davit with an electric winch to lower the inflatable boat from the roof and long travel hydraulic stabilizing legs that can be easily lift a wheel way off the ground. Handy if you get bogged I suppose.

Chip > No Don't own it. I wish. The owners are a fantastic couple with a real love of life. He is very tech savvy and has already made some great mods to the vehicle . The last time it was in the workshop we fitted a tyre pressure telemetry system to all wheels including the Suzuki that he tows behind. It gets a lot of use and runs at maximum capacity most of the time. Because of where they live it sees a lot of deswert work but I know he has been planning a Cape York trip some time in the future.

whatcharterboat

More pics

Here is a couple of early ones. One in the workshop awaiting the glass. Another showing a similiar narrow body tour bus that does rainforest tours in far north Queensland. The bare bones pic is not the actual vehicle under construction but the start of a plug. A full mould was then taken off that and then the actual one piece body of the green truck came out of that mould. Very light and tough.
Also the whole dash/ steering is angled back so that the seating position is more car like. Visibility is really good too.

ThomD

Explorer
As we American's lement the near impossibility of getting something like that available here, and the difficulty of importing an Australian vehicle, I couldn't help but toy with the idea of buying an FG in the US and shipping it over for modification. Ah, if only there was enough money...

boblynch

Adventurer
These are very impressive vehicles. How is the engine accessed on the integrated model? How does the integrated model mount the body? What suspension modifications are required to address body flex? Any additional build pics would be appreciated.

Bob

whatcharterboat

bob

Hi Bob, It has an engine cover with a lift up lid, however if anything major needed to be done the seats and the cover can be removed to give plenty of access. Every thing was insulated and sound proofed.

The whole body, including the original section of the cab isn't rigidly mounted to the chassis so that it can still flex freely. The truck also runs our long travel suspension setup which has much longer (and higher) springs. This improves the ride unbelievably. We've been experimenting with suspension mods since the first FG's came out and the setup we now use has been proven by a lot of commercial vehicle over many years. The owner told me tonight that this vehicle has done over 35000k's now,(most of it offroad) and he can't fault the body/chassis combo. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach