Yet another 109 build Thread

aka rover

Adventurer
Wow a sticky!!

I have to say I thought my thread had been deleted for some reason, I got to page three looking for it and gave up. And to my suprise it is a sticky and its not lost LOL!!

Thanks EXPO

aka rover

Adventurer
I finished the exhaust work tonight im going stright pipe no muffler For now I drove the the motor when it was in the car with no muffler and it was quite enough for me. Im no exhaust guy so I may have a pro fix it up for me in the future but this will get the thing on the road and through the testing stages.

I put the exhaust where my rock sliders will cover it up and protect it from harm.

I wraped the down pipe as well and put heat and sound deadner on the firewall, Its kinda ugly but im sure it will help with the heat transfer and some of the rattle noise.

004 (4).jpg
005 (4).jpg
007 (4).jpg
010 (4).JPG
015 (3).jpg
012 (4).jpg

Here is a few pics of my parts from AA so I now have all my parts and pieces to put my motor in and leave it in:wings: Its been in and out 6 to 7 times to make things fit as needed. I have a big day tomorrow going to try and get motor in and set for the last time for awhile.

001 (4).jpg
013 (3).jpg

Attachments

• 017 (3).jpg
    017 (3).jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 23

Snagger

Explorer
I have a question for you Expo types, this rig is gong to be a long range driver and was going to put batteries under the pass seat. But after a little thinking I think that a fuel tank would be a better choice. I was planning on just a couple extra jerry cans for extended drives but now im thinking I really dont need two reserve batteries for the rig and one extra would be more than plenty.

I have the outriggers for the 88 size tank and and a extra tank, and I think even a military type tank that fills from under seat. Any thoughts or comments would be great

Cheers Ed
Have a look at my 109 rebuild blog - it's all sectionalised for different systems and assemblies. I have three fuel tanks, jerry can lockers and twin batteries. It's at nickslandrover.co.uk . In a nut shell, I have the standard 18 IGal rear tank and two MoD under-seat fill 12IGal front tanks, all plumbed through MoD fuel taps and return line valves so that the reurn line and fuel gauge connections are automatically selected with the supply selection. MoD 110 side jerry can lockers (now modified to fit an altered tub floor plan), capable of storing two 20l cans each, are sited between the front doors and rear wheel arches, and need just a little trimming of their diagonal frame section to fit a 109. The twin batteries are in the stowage box behind the rear left wheel arch, and an MoD SIII FFR 24V battery tray is located between the front seats to store my winching kit, but could also be used for for battery location, and has had some mild mods to allow easy transmission servicing.

Re the hand brake lever, use of an "Xbrake", 200Tdi cable and RR Classic/Discovery I lever will give you an effective brake with a small lever mounted on the top side of the seat box beside your seat base.

Are those front hub units free-wheelers or are they shock absorbing?

Last edited:

aka rover

Adventurer
Have a look at my 109 rebuild blog - it's all sectionalised for different systems and assemblies. I have three fuel tanks, jerry can lockers and twin batteries. It's at nickslandrover.co.uk . In a nut shell, I have the standard 18 IGal rear tank and two MoD under-seat fill 12IGal front tanks, all plumbed through MoD fuel taps and return line valves so that the reurn line and fuel gauge connections are automatically selected with the supply selection. MoD 110 side jerry can lockers (now modified to fit an altered tub floor plan), capable of storing two 20l cans each, are sited between the front doors and rear wheel arches, and need just a little trimming of their diagonal frame section to fit a 109. The twin batteries are in the stowage box behind the rear left wheel arch, and an MoD SIII FFR 24V battery tray is located between the front seats to store my winching kit, but could also be used for for battery location, and has had some mild mods to allow easy transmission servicing.

Re the hand brake lever, use of an "Xbrake", 200Tdi cable and RR Classic/Discovery I lever will give you an effective brake with a small lever mounted on the top side of the seat box beside your seat base.

Are those front hub units free-wheelers or are they shock absorbing?

Man good job on your build lots of good ideas on your build for sure!

The hubs are free wheelers can you explain shock absorbing hubs? not sure ive seen anything like this.

can't wait for the finished product.

Yea you and me both

I dont have many new pics as most of the work as of late has been the small stuff fuel lines throttle linkage sensor wireing to the motor etc.

aka rover

Adventurer
I have been working on the small things so not alot to post up, I have run all fuel lines now exhaust is about done and the shift linkage speedo cable etc.

I even got impatiant and installed one of the seats to have a quick look.

019 (3).jpg018 (3).jpg011 (5).jpg

So im pretty excited these pics! This is the first time I have seen this rig with fenders on it. All I had to work with was some old junk fenders so I took the best of what I had and will make them work.

The fenders are rough but will be fine for now, there was cracking on the lips of them so I cut 1.5"s out of them and rolled the edges to clean them up. I fallowed the factory lines so it should still give a stockish look and add extra tire clearance.

I still have lots of room for a air box which I haven't sourced yet but am thinking of a old range rover metal housing its small and easy to turn into a snorkle aplication.

028 (2).jpg
024 (3).jpg
023 (3).jpg
022 (3).jpg

aka rover

Adventurer
Here is a few more pics of the fenders and hood loosly bolted on and hood in place, alittle more work and these get paint and prepped for assembly.

026 (2).jpg
027 (2).JPG

Attachments

• 028 (2).jpg
    028 (2).jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 16

madp

First off great build, very cool indeed.
Secondly what kind of seats are those? I have been looking for seats like that for my 109 for ages, they look like they are the perfect size.

aka rover

Adventurer
Is that a Pangolin bumper?

It is a Pangolin bumper
First off great build, very cool indeed.
Secondly what kind of seats are those? I have been looking for seats like that for my 109 for ages, they look like they are the perfect size.

Thanks im enjoying the build for sure.

the seats are Defender seats I bought them used to give them a try and they fit great! They bolted right into the factory holes.

repete

Observer
You got it! I'll swing it by with that tap on monday, if I can find it!
I'm sure it would be ok for a turbo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk