Yotapilot's 2001 Tacoma DC Build

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Is it bad that I really like the color of the primer? Nice bumper.

In the picture the color does look nice, but it's actually more of a grey, not green. I think the fluorescent light in my garage made the photo like that.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Got the bumper and skid plate mounted today. I'm really happy with the way they came out. I had a few disappointments though.

First, no instructions from all-pro. I even called them and they didn't really have anything for me. Granted, it's pretty straight forward, but it would have given me a little piece of mind.

Second, the LED turn signals look great, but cause the system to flash too fast. It would have been nice if all-pro included a resistor and told me to install it before I finished wiring everything up. Now I have figure out what kind of resistor I need, pull the lights off, cut the wires again, and install the resistor.

Third, on the passenger side there is a component I think from the cooling system that hangs down below the bumper. There is an exposed plug and some sort of hose. You can see it in the last picture below hanging down in front of the wheel. I will probably end up fabbing something the protect this from damage.

Lastly, and not a huge deal, but there is no where to mount a license plate. I could easily drill two holes myself, but I'm not sure where I want to mount it yet.

Other than those four things, so far the bumper is great. I do feel the weight in the front end. I think it weighs a little over 100 pound with the full skid plate. Surprisingly I only lost 1/4" of lift.

Anyway, bring on the pictures.

8295701120_6c665d0c98_c.jpg

8295696582_c7c663d304_c.jpg

8294647843_45783ec4c8_c.jpg

8294649379_0740304a79_c.jpg

BeratE

Observer
Not sure if I am misinterpreting your description of the cooling system component you mentioned, but I believe that you might be talking about your windshield washer fluid reservoir

YotaPilot

Adventurer
...but I believe that you might be talking about your windshield washer fluid reservoir

You know what...you are right. Yesterday, I was pretty tired after installing everything and didn't really look at it too closely. After your post, I checked it out this morning and it IS the bottom of the windshield washer fluid reservoir and the plug and wiring I believe is for the pump.

Thank you for posting the pictures and providing feedback. We will certainly address the issues by including the information in the instructions we're working on. You're truck looks great BTW!

Sarah
All-Pro

racemedic

Observer
I installed a Trail Gear front bumper with LED lights and had the same fast flash as you do. I went to the local Autozone and picked up a replacement flasher that can be used with LED turn lights. Installed it and it works just fine and a lot easier than wiring in a resistor.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I installed a Trail Gear front bumper with LED lights and had the same fast flash as you do. I went to the local Autozone and picked up a replacement flasher that can be used with LED turn lights. Installed it and it works just fine and a lot easier than wiring in a resistor.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the model/manufacturer you used?

justinh

Observer
I really like the look of that Bumper! Wish it would have been out sooner and I could of been the 3rd gen 4Runner test mule. Regarding your LED turn signals, here is the LED flasher relay that all of the "3rd gen" guys have been using to eliminate the hyper-flash. I would assume your Tacoma would use the same one.

http://www.amazon.com/Tridon-EP35-F...d=1308845816&sr=1-1-catcorr&tag=vglnk-c565-20

Cheers

All Pro has my 2001 Sr5 4runner right now and has installed the bumper on it in their shop, they've texted me some pics of it but I actually lost those when I reformatted my iphone. I'll be back in town and picking it up after the 4th and get some pics online then, or they can post them if they'd like. My 4runner has the wide flares and from what I understand the bumper is about .5" narrower than the flare is on either side. It looks pretty good still in the pics though and wouldn't be an issue at all with the narrow/no flare models, this would seem to be a consistent issue in other plate bumpers like 4xinnovations, etc.

I'm a little OCD so I may look at doing something with the wings or flares once I get it back, we'll see.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Turn Signal Fix and Fog Lights Wired Up

Thanks to rickashay and racemedic for the tips on the flasher unit. I picked up a Tridon EP-35 flasher at auto zone and it worked perfect. The LED front signals now flash at the proper rate. The install was pretty simple. Remove the OEM flasher, plug in the new one. The hardest part was the flasher location. The best way to describe it is above the drivers side kick panel under the dash directly behind the fuse box. When putting in the new flasher, I couldn't really see so I had to feel where the plug was.

I also installed a simple lighted rocker switch for my PIAA 510 fog lights. I didn't light the switch that came with them because it was bulky and surface mounted with double stick tape. So I cut it off the harness and wired up the rocker switch. For the switch power, I tapped into the cigarette lighter power wire. This worked well because it's right next to where the switch in installed and it is controlled by the ignition. If I ever forget to turn off the fog lights, they will go off when I turn off the truck.

8334253244_51bd6c50b6_c.jpg

8333192777_798e2d89d7_c.jpg

8334252344_2323f386d2_c.jpg

8334251540_d6eff3d754_c.jpg

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
Glad that LED relay worked out for you. Same relay location as the 4Runner too. Sweet!

Maybe I missed this but what brand are those lights in your front bumper? Vision X? I still need to ad some 4" lights to my ODL bumper....

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Hijack on....

Ditto Addison and Yotapilot. Performed unnatural acts to replace my LED relay/flasher unit. No longer a ricer.

Hijack off...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven