Your Thoughts on a 1998 Ford 4x4 Van

jgolden

Adventurer
I might have the oppurtunity to purchase a 1998 Ford 4x4 Van at a very low price. The conversion was done by Quigley, it has a V10 with 80k Hard miles.
It's a friend's van that was stolen and recovered 3 months later. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's pretty tore up. I would basically rebuild it from the ground up and make it a family camping wagon. similar to a Sportsmobile.

What are your thoughts on this platform?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
There's nothing wrong with a Quigley as long as you don't want a tire larger than 33" or expect allot of wheel travel. They've changed a few things over the years, but the 92 to current vans are pretty much the same as far as suspension goes. The V10 isn't a bad motor, I've seen the modular Ford engines go over 250K no problem. If you go through the motor, look into swapping some later model 3 valve heads. It may be possible for a little more power. If the deal is right, go for it---------------

outsidr

Adventurer
For family camping and 2track expeditions it would be a great truck. With the V-10 you burn your share of dinosaurs but at least you have the ability to tow a extreme off road rig too....

Sounds like a fun project, you get to make it your own. Post some pic's of the project..:Mechanic:

jgolden

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys.

2 questions...

1. If I buy a newer 2 wheel drive van (around 2001 - 2004, same model) can I swap out the 4x4 drive train from the 1998? I have a feeling the 1998 van is going to be pretty trashed.

2. What's the easiest way to obtain more wheel travel from a Quigley 4x4? I plan to go with a 33" tire.

Thanks in advance
Jg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Getting more wheel travel from a Quigley is nearly impossible, not worth it. The same goes for swapping the Quigley suspension to another van, Sure, it can be done, but is it worth it? I say no. If you're going to put that much work into it, you're better off using my conversion kit and building a suspension that's more suited for your exact needs. This pic below is my van before the fenders were cut to allow the tires more room in the fender wells. Not bad for leaf springs, enough for a full size van though.....

675457.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
In the front I have about 10". The rear is restricted now due to my airbags. I set them up for more down travel, but I wish I had more. Can't have everything I guess!

jgolden

Adventurer
UJoint - In your opinion, what is the best 4x4 setup for a Ford Van? It would be a passenger / camper / Baja rig. I'm lookig for a nice ride, decent wheel travel, very durable.

Leaf vs. Coil?
Front and rear end housing?
Tire size = I like either 285 or 35" (no bigger)
I'll probably go with a V10 because the van will spend most of it's life down in Cabo San Lucas.
Looking to start with a 2001 - 2004 with about 50K miles.

Thanks

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I consider the best all around, reliable setup to be a good quality leaf conversion with good parts. Sure, you may get a little better ride and "trick" factor with a custom 4 link coil over, but that's allot more work & there's more margin for error/bad habits. As far as axles go, if you plan to only run a 33 or 35 & don't plan on any major towing, the stock rear axle is fine. I recommend a Dana 60 for the front. If I were doing a conversion right now, trying to keep the costs low & quality high, this is what I'd do: My conversion kit, a used 99-04 Ford D60, Dynatrac free spin hub conversion (to convert axle to 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern & get rid of the unit bearings), some 4" custom front springs, block & add-a-leaf in the rear, Bilstein shocks, and all the other asst things needed to complete the conversion. (brake lines & steering). The only thing left is the t-case, which depends on the tranny of the van you get. The fuel tank will need to be shortened (easy), and you're ready to go!!!!!!!! So this conversion is do able for sure, now you just need a van!!!

do you mean leaf springs all around, front and rear?
what is your opinion of the coil spring front?
which is stronger and less complicated?
thank you

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yep, leafs all around. A properly setup coil suspension is fine, but not as reliable as leafs over the long run. Before I get everyone getting crazy that I'm bashing coil suspensions, I'm not. Tolerances have to be tighter with the coil suspension, a little bit of play in the trac bar will make the van wander & give you death wobble, etc etc. ------------ If I were to do a coil suspension, I would build a radius arm Dana 60. It would require a custom D60 as well as trac bar mounts/radius arm mounts depending on lift height. This conversion would of course be more $$ than a leaf conversion. I've driven & built allot of trucks, and I have no issue with the ride quality/handling of my van, which has leafs all the way around. also-- Sportsmobile is using leafs for their conversions, and they cater to a high end client dropping almost 100K on those rigs. If they found the need for a more complicated suspension, I don't think they'd have a problem squeezing another 10K from the customer.

Last edited:

jgolden

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info.

Leafs always seem to hold up better than coils do. Like you say...stronger.

I'll probably pick up the van next week. I'll snap some photos and post'em. If it's in OK shape and the price is right, I'll jump on it.

jg

Railvan

Adventurer
Van body swap

" If I buy a newer 2 wheel drive van (around 2001 - 2004, same model) can I swap out the 4x4 drive train from the 1998? I have a feeling the 1998 van is going to be pretty trashed."

I can't find the link now, but I have seen a Ford website showing how the van body can come off the frame for major engine work. Maybe it would be easier to swap bodies, if needed, with another cleaner, straighter, less rusted van, and leave the frame and running gear intact on the Quigley chassis?

Brian Rutherford

ujoint
thx
i grew up with leaf springs front, driven leaf spring front in the service via their their broncos/s-10, etc., was sort of dead set on leaf spring all around with full floating axles, stormbrake, but having been reading/doing some researching, i come across this school of thought that coil spring front is just an evolution from leaf front toward the newer technology, better ride, etc. though not necessary stronger/reliable, etc.

the 2007/2008 and maybe 2006? if i recall, F-450, cutaway chassis, i believe have the coil front? do you know they are holding up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach