Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

R-Overland

Adventurer
Mike did u disappear ? U SHOULD POST SOME PICS ;)

Been so busy :D ...
I know , right, I should ...everytime were out I am so absorbed with what is going on, I always forget to take pics
until were on the way home , then i think ' ******, don't tell me you forgot to take pics again :(' couldn't be any easier with camera phone and all that
how have you been? I saw, you use your rangie for hunting now

REDROVER

Explorer
Been so busy :D ...
I know , right, I should ...everytime were out I am so absorbed with what is going on, I always forget to take pics
until were on the way home , then i think ' ******, don't tell me you forgot to take pics again :(' couldn't be any easier with camera phone and all that
how have you been? I saw, you use your rangie for hunting now

or sometimes the hunt uses my range rover brush guard :)

onemanarmy

Explorer
what is that sticker on top of the radiator telling you to do? slam the hood down?

and what tires are those?

good work on the project...love the P38s.

R-Overland

Adventurer
The sticker is to remind you, that you have to lift the hood before being able to close it... there is a lock feature
tires are 33" on 16" rims :D I am going to make a P38 offroad worthy...
next step are some engine upgrades (lower engine girdle , fluiddampr and such )and a HMMVW turbo.
then a re-geared r380 5 speed tranny
and some better drive shafts
down the road I want some toyota landcruiser or mercedes axles

REDROVER

Explorer
The sticker is to remind you, that you have to lift the hood before being able to close it... there is a lock feature
tires are 33" on 16" rims :D I am going to make a P38 offroad worthy...
next step are some engine upgrades (lower engine girdle , fluiddampr and such )and a HMMVW turbo.
then a re-geared r380 5 speed tranny
and some better drive shafts
down the road I want some toyota landcruiser or mercedes axles

Mike get a DINAN supercharger form BMW :) i was thinking of doing that. keep in mind 8 psi 8 psi 8 psi and u got 450lb torqe

Ok so I've read your p38 thread and Lt fuzz thread. I've a long love affair with Diesel conversions. I've got the ok with the boss to build an expo vehicle. Disco I is possible, is the II? I know the electronics goes up but what do you loose? I'm thinking 6.5 l mil spec, 4l80E...

Daryl

Adventurer
Disco I is possible, is the II? I know the electronics goes up but what do you loose?

As for the II, I don't think anyone has made the auto transmission work, so if you swap includes one or you have a 5 speed go for it. But then you have to fight with the BeCM to make it still work with(out) the Rover ECU (in all likelihood you would have to leave it in and powered up) if you expect pretty much anything other than your horn and headlights to work. Everything else depends on the BeCM - sun roofs, windows, fog lights, most if not all of the gauges.......

Then there's the less capable rear suspension on a II.

I'm not seeing the up side. But it would be interesting to watch.

Hmmm, Im not married to the II, just seen a couple head gasket cases that I figure would be a good candidate. I was really thinking more for the interior. Still haven't given up on it.

Maybe in oversimplifying it. I grew up turning wrenches on street rods. If you wanted power windows you went and fabbed it. Including wiring it. What's the difference?

R-Overland

Adventurer
As for the II, I don't think anyone has made the auto transmission work, so if you swap includes one or you have a 5 speed go for it. But then you have to fight with the BeCM to make it still work with(out) the Rover ECU (in all likelihood you would have to leave it in and powered up) if you expect pretty much anything other than your horn and headlights to work. Everything else depends on the BeCM - sun roofs, windows, fog lights, most if not all of the gauges.......

Then there's the less capable rear suspension on a II.

I'm not seeing the up side. But it would be interesting to watch.

Uhm Hellooooo I made a Diesel work in a P38 with BeCM...
Everything works minus AC and cruise control

R-Overland

Adventurer
Works for me. In NJ it's next to impossible to use the cruise anyway. AC is about no room right? A Prius AC can be modded from what's previously been said?
I was throwing that Idea out, but didn't do much about it as of yet.
I used a separate power steering pump for my winch ,so therefore there was no room for the compressor.
but if you don't do that you can use that spot
for an ac compressor. you will have to move the radiators forward a little maybe, but you can make it work

Last edited:

Daryl

Adventurer
Uhm Hellooooo I made a Diesel work in a P38 with BeCM...
Everything works minus AC and cruise control

OK, I did't say I had an exhaustive list. So you left the Rover ECU so the BeCM is paired to something (as I said) and you did what with the transmission? How did you get your speedo and other gauges working?

I'm certainly not saying any of it is not possible. It's all quite basic if you're interested in rewiring everything (other the transmission). I'm talking about a path of least resistance with better suspension.

REDROVER

Explorer
Ok so I've read your p38 thread and Lt fuzz thread. I've a long love affair with Diesel conversions. I've got the ok with the boss to build an expo vehicle. Disco I is possible, is the II? I know the electronics goes up but what do you loose? I'm thinking 6.5 l mil spec, 4l80E...

Excellent CHOICE 6.5 and even better on 4l80e

if u gonna use 6.5. don't use zf trans after that. get the 4l80e. this is GMs heavy duty trans rated up to 550 lb ft torque stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan